PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
If I may offer a suggestion.....
In case your shipment gets hit with taxes or duties, Canada Post might offer you to pre-pay your fees online. Stating that this option will save you a trip to PO. Be careful!!! In my case CBSA agent made a mistake filling out the forms. Apparently he/she got just one digit wrong. So, package had been delivered somewhere else, Canada Post won't tell me where exactly (it's a confidential information, according to them). Now I'll need to try and fix this situation.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
I got a pound of dark fired from Whole Leaf tobacco, it was $20 and it cost $20 for shipping and $1.62 in taxes (it said GST on the form, haha). Whole leaf tobacco is not subject to the same tax as processed tobacco products, and is fun to play with as well. I chopped up a bunch for pipe tobacco blending, pressed a plug, and rolled some pungent stogies too, it's good stuff.

GreatWhiteNorthPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2022
Ontario, Canada
I have had a lot of luck ordering from the US. I order 4 or 5 tins sometimes some bulk in baggy along with the tins. Out of every say 20 shipments maybe 1 or 2 get a Customs Charge.

I generally order from Smoking Pipes they seem to offer the best deals on tobacco and shipping.
I too have had decent luck. But every so often I get nailed with duty. I ordered a tin of Sutliff Maple Street for something like $8 on SP.com and CBSA nailed me with $63 in duty!!! I'd say maybe four in 10 orders for me gets hit with duty. So I'm a bit wary now.

GreatWhiteNorthPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2022
Ontario, Canada
For more evidence on how random and strange our duty/taxes laws up here in Canada seem, consider this: I recently ordered a USED pipe off of SP.com. When it hit the Canadian border, they added $19 in duty, despite the pipe not being a new product! So in the end I ended up paying the equivalent of the price of a new pipe for an old estate pipe!

sparker69

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
The good news is that you are "stuck" in the Province with Blatter and Blatter, which also makes renowned pipes. It's a first rate outfit with a noble history.
Indeed! Despite the taxes, I do try to encourage Blatter & Blatter - usually buying my Italian cigars and a few others there, some pipe tobacco from time to time, and of course a few pipes. It would be sad to lose such a legendary place.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
For more evidence on how random and strange our duty/taxes laws up here in Canada seem, consider this: I recently ordered a USED pipe off of SP.com. When it hit the Canadian border, they added $19 in duty, despite the pipe not being a new product! So in the end I ended up paying the equivalent of the price of a new pipe for an old estate pipe!
We've got the very same scenery here in Finland-each and every parcel from outside of the European commercial zone gets strictly to the customs clearance processing and this inevitably results in added sales taxes of+%24 to the total merchandise value incl shipping fees

Templekeeper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2023
Toronto
I too have had decent luck. But every so often I get nailed with duty. I ordered a tin of Sutliff Maple Street for something like $8 on SP.com and CBSA nailed me with $63 in duty!!! I'd say maybe four in 10 orders for me gets hit with duty. So I'm a bit wary now.
I'll have to keep that in mind... I've ordered from SmokingPipes a few times and so far have lucked out with zero taxes/tariffs.
And like you said earlier... Even with the cost shipping (And SP does have really cheap intl shipping) I can afford several tins for I would pay for just one here...

john19

Nov 27, 2021
Greece
You should have 2 emails one just after ordering titles order confirmed and a second one title a shipment is on its way. That one contains a PUF tracking number that refer to mail tracking one.
I placed an order from 4noggins a few days ago. I received the <<shipment is on its way>> email. Click the tracking number in the email, and it took me to an ASENDIA page. Over there it says:

-Current Status: Processed by US Carrier.

-Service: Fully Tracked.

Do you know what this means? I'm in Europe, and I certainly expect it may take a while to arrive the package.

Reactions: Templekeeper

Templekeeper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2023
Toronto
I placed an order from 4noggins a few days ago. I received the <<shipment is on its way>> email. Click the tracking number in the email, and it took me to an ASENDIA page. Over there it says:

-Current Status: Processed by US Carrier.

-Service: Fully Tracked.

Do you know what this means? I'm in Europe, and I certainly expect it may take a while to arrive the package.
I got the pretty much the same thing from SmokingPipes and The Danish Pipe Shop... the cheaper shipping options don't actually provide many updates if at all... I just get that one notifications that it has shipped, and then several weeks later I get the package, but no tracking updates throughout...

Reactions: john19

Zamora

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2023
Olympia, Washington
When I was a kid I went on a trip to Victoria, BC with my family and my grandpa bought a Romeo y Julieta box which he snuck in his luggage on the ferry ride back, this was over 20 years ago. I have no idea what he paid for them, but I think about that often and how much he would've been charged now for a box of that same size in that hideous plain packaging that Trudeau implemented. Of course Habanos is also partly to blame given their penchant for price gouging. Amusingly my grandpa pretty much only bought Dutch Masters back home, he'd only smoke premium stuff when my uncle got him some.

Reactions: canucklehead

john19

Nov 27, 2021
Greece
I got the pretty much the same thing from SmokingPipes and The Danish Pipe Shop... the cheaper shipping options don't actually provide many updates if at all... I just get that one notifications that it has shipped, and then several weeks later I get the package, but no tracking updates throughout...
After 13 days package arrived in my country. I had normally tracking updates.

Zamora

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2023
Olympia, Washington
Canada just passed a truly insane bill trying to regulate the internet, it's exactly the sort of thing their persecution of tobacconists set precedent for. It's an attempt to interfere with social media content, this forum and others might be too small to be on their radar but theoretically they could try and limit access to YTPC content. I'm sure it's a matter of time before Canada bans online sales, a few European countries already have, if that happens then pipe smokers who don't live a day trip away from the US border are screwed. Overreach can never be satisfied, the essay my signature comes from becomes more relevant every day

tzinc

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2021
Toronto
This is probably old news to you guys, but I just found out that tobacconists in Canada can't ship to other provinces, except with great difficulty. I was looking over a few of them and noted that there were no prices or ordering mechanism. I live in Quebec and was trying to order from other provinces.

In an email, Burlington on Whyte tobacconists (in Alberta) told me:
"It comes down to each Province having its own taxation structure and them wanting their cut. We would have to have separate stores of tobacco for each province along with the appropriate licensing for each province in order to ship across provincial borders."

So I guess I have to buy from Quebec tobacconists only. A well-known and much heralded tobacconist, Blatter & Blatter, are right here in Montreal. I guess I'll be paying them a visit.

On a side note, still no word from 4noggins. I've been calling them 3 or 4 times a day. Always goes to the machine. My online credit card statement, though, shows they took the money with no problem on October 9th. ($193 Canadian dollars!) I don't care if they are having difficulties fulfilling my order. I am a reasonable guy. But as with all matters, it is the silence that is most maddening.
Trudeau is turning Canada into a totalitarian state via a 1000 papercuts.

Wolf357

Lurker
Jun 23, 2021
Manitoba Canada
All tobacco and Alcohol sales in Canada are to be taxed in the province of sale only…anytime you leave with said product outside that province you gotta pay the provincial tax again… It’s B.S but it’s the way it is… here in Manitoba our tobacco tax is one of the highest in the country but a hour and a half in Ontario it’s a lot cheaper…so people buy there…technically that’s smuggling and the government wants you to stop at a weigh station on the border to pay the provincial tax when entering Manitoba…I believe there is even a sign saying to do it….

Here is a article on tobacco being seized at the Manitoba/Ontario Border…it was AlOT

Last edited: