PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
@vink I've checked all the emails I have from 4noggins. I have the "order confirmed" email but there is no "Shipment Is On Its Way" email.
Ok ... I need to stop griping about this and go back to my "patience" status. Everything is going to be alright. :-P
No, you need to stop complaining to people who can't help you and call your credit card company.

• Love
Reactions: captpat and warren

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
I just had a thought... I live near an Indian reservation. Prices are low and there is no duty at all! I bought pipe tobacco there years ago. I'll have to check it out.
A person I know who works in the tobacco retail industry told me Canada doesn't charge duty on whole leaf tobacco imports because it's considered a raw product and not for retail consumption. I haven't tried importing whole leaf yet but that may be in my future. I don't have a shredder but I'm pretty good with a cleaver. Could be fun trying to slice a shag cut.

Or as @Ahi Ka says:
start growing. ✌🏼

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
A person I know who works in the tobacco retail industry told me Canada doesn't charge duty on whole leaf tobacco imports because it's considered a raw product and not for retail consumption. I haven't tried importing whole leaf yet but that may be in my future. I don't have a shredder but I'm pretty good with a cleaver. Could be fun trying to slice a shag cut.

Or as @Ahi Ka says:
Yes you are correct about whole leaf tobacco not being a “tobacco product” and not liable for excise tax. I think there is still a small tax you will pay for an agricultural import, something like $30 a box - I don’t remember if this is per kilo or per 10 kilos.

I suggest you both check out the fairtradetobacco.com forums, as there is a lot of discussion about how to order whole leaf from Canada.

As someone who lives in a country where whole leaf can no longer be imported, I’d say stock up on it while you can, and put it away to age. Also, a knife works better than a shredder when prepping for a pipe ✌🏼

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg

Or as @Ahi Ka says:
Looking at leafonly.com, the cheapest shipping available for a mere 1/4 lb sample is $56.21. WTF?! Oh crap. I'm complaining to people who can't help me. Sorry @woodsroad!

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
Try wholeleaftobacco.com and totalleafsupply.com too. You’ll probably find that shipping cost is flat rate up to 10kg.
Thanks @Ahi Ka. Looks like totalleafsupply.com is the only site that has reasonable shipping rates to where I live. They don't have any pure Basma or Samsun in stock though. I might grab a half pound of St. James Perique from them at some point just to see how it crosses the border. Not this month though. I'm way over my PAD and TAD limit. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Ahi Ka

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
The stage is set. Take a boatload of orders then go belly up. The writing has been on the wall...I'll wait for the crying posts that will soon come. Just a matter of time.

Who in their right mind would do business with a company (can I call it that?) that doesn't answer emails or telephones? Seriously.

For those that may get burned... oh well. How many red flags y'all need?

North Pole piper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2021
Rural, Manitoba Canada.
Just had a package arrive by mail from SP in an envelope. 4 oz of Three Sails. $10.08 U.S. Customs fees: $72.52.
I here you brother, I'm in Manitoba too. You have to play the long game here. Your tobacco won't get hit all the time, especially if it's smaller size like the envelope. Next time it gets thru now you got 8 oz for $72.52. Try buying 8 oz of tobacco at Thomas Hinds or Sheffield and Sons , it would cost you like $300. The sting of customs hurts every time I have to pay it but long term it's still way worth it.

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
I here you brother, I'm in Manitoba too. You have to play the long game here. Your tobacco won't get hit all the time, especially if it's smaller size like the envelope. Next time it gets thru now you got 8 oz for $72.52. Try buying 8 oz of tobacco at Thomas Hinds or Sheffield and Sons , it would cost you like $300. The sting of customs hurts every time I have to pay it but long term it's still way worth it.
That's all true, but nothing's getting through anymore. I guess it's back to 4noggins, fingers crossed. :ROFLMAO:

• Sad
Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian