Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Canada just passed a truly insane bill trying to regulate the internet, it's exactly the sort of thing their persecution of tobacconists set precedent for. It's an attempt to interfere with social media content, this forum and others might be too small to be on their radar but theoretically they could try and limit access to YTPC content. I'm sure it's a matter of time before Canada bans online sales, a few European countries already have, if that happens then pipe smokers who don't live a day trip away from the US border are screwed. Overreach can never be satisfied, the essay my signature comes from becomes more relevant every day
Unless I'm missing something it isn't a law regulating the internet. It is a law requiring websites to pay content creators when they re-post other people's content. Seems fair to me. If my writing was making someone other than me money, I'd be a bit upset.

David D. Davidson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2023
Canada
Unless I'm missing something it isn't a law regulating the internet. It is a law requiring websites to pay content creators when they re-post other people's content. Seems fair to me. If my writing was making someone other than me money, I'd be a bit upset.
I believe you’re correct, and that it’s mostly just these rehosters of other peoples content that are driving up an outcry - it’s of course to their benefit to froth up the public and say “we’d love to bring you this content but your legislators won’t allow it” rather than paying said creators.

At the same time I couldn’t even begin to guess at how financially viable this is for a lot of the platforms. I’m sure it’s not cheap to pay people properly and to set up the infrastructure to determine what each person is owed and how to pay them, but know far too little to guess at expenses or viability.

Call Me Late

Might Stick Around
Aug 8, 2021
Windsor Ontario
The regulation doesn’t bother me. Tbh the internet is still relatively new in terms of world history and they’re trying to figure out the best way to make it work for everyone. Laws change with time, it’s inevitable. Now hopefully the provinces can work together to figure out a trade agreement within the country rather than focusing on other countries.