PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I don't know but if that were the case why would they undercut their own price?
flawed pipes that don't pass SPC inspection?

Great question. Inventory is a key component of working capital, typically ties up a ton of cash, and is always the subject of close management by astute companies.

One aspect of inventory management is finding outlets for excess first quality stock (e.g. having five years of an item on hand and being willing to take a hit on price in order to whittle down the balance in the short term) and second quality stock (e.g. items that have been returned, repaired, or exhibit cosmetic blemishes).

The trick is to realize cash on excess inventory without cannibalizing ordinary sales or alienating your distribution network. This can be very tricky indeed. Sometimes companies dump products offshore, other times they seek unusual (for them) paths to market; examples might be Amazon, Etsy, eBay. And not infrequently they sell to third parties that specialize in buying excess inventory on the cheap and turning a quick buck by dumping it elsewhere, using channels they’ve built up over time. In each approach the goal is to find new customers who would not otherwise have been likely to buy your product, or more realistically perhaps to minimize the overlap.

I have no idea if this is what’s going on with Peterson, although it wouldn’t surprise me. Cleaning up the inventory is a very common first step following an acquisition.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Great question. Inventory is a key component of working capital, typically ties up a ton of cash, and is always the subject of close management by astute companies.

One aspect of inventory management is finding outlets for excess first quality stock (e.g. having five years of an item on hand and being willing to take a hit on price in order to whittle down the balance in the short term) and second quality stock (e.g. items that have been returned, repaired, or exhibit cosmetic blemishes).

The trick is to realize cash on excess inventory without cannibalizing ordinary sales or alienating your distribution network. This can be very tricky indeed. Sometimes companies dump products offshore, other times they seek unusual (for them) paths to market; examples might be Amazon, Etsy, eBay. And not infrequently they sell to third parties that specialize in buying excess inventory on the cheap and turning a quick buck by dumping it elsewhere, using channels they’ve built up over time. In each approach the goal is to find new customers who would not otherwise have been likely to buy your product, or more realistically perhaps to minimize the overlap.

I have no idea if this is what’s going on with Peterson, although it wouldn’t surprise me. Cleaning up the inventory is a very common first step following an acquisition.
I would think it was old inventory if it wasn't newly released pipes like the "shorts" series.

Could be blemished or didn't pass drilling inspection etc.?

Or could be something else entirely...

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Off topic, but routing numbers are (and are meant to be) public and apply to all accounts within a given geography at a given institution. They can be found by spending a few seconds googling. Account numbers are private.
sorry that was what I meant... routing/acct #.

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
One aspect of inventory management is finding outlets for excess first quality stock
+1
I don’t know if this is in fact what is happening on eBay but there is much precedence for this type of thing.

We are all familiar with Outlet malls, which are located so as to be destination stops, where many major brands undercut their normal retail prices in order to shed aging or excess inventory to free up capital for more relevant merchandise.

Another popular strategy is the creation of a company owned secondary parallel retail system. A successful example would be Nordstrom’s very successful Rack stores. Nordstrom funnels aging, excess and overstock to the Rack division freeing dollars and attracting buyers that generally would not shop full price.

As far as pipes, years ago when I was buying more pipes I remember Castillo was well known for creating and supporting a substantial gray market for it’s own merchandise through well known dealers such as PCCA.

Last edited:
Reactions: BROBS

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I picked up a Peterson unfinished Dublin from one of our sponsor retailers for half their usual base price and I wondered what was going on. I have gotten some fine deals on pipes on sale. Years ago, I bought a new Ser Jacopo from SP for what an estate would cost me today, one of my treasures. For some reason, eBay doesn't attract me, as paypal doesn't, but I think the same principles in marketing may apply.

Except mainstream retail uses fairly complex marketing and price discrimination tactics, which general people often find difficult to understand. Two simpler examples

1. Many retail brands create a line of sub-par merchandise to be sold only at outlets
2. Many times the prices of a second in an outlet mall is more than what it would have cost without in a regular departmental store

+1
I don’t know if this is in fact what is happening on eBay but there is much precedence for this type of thing.

We are all familiar with Outlet malls, which are located so as to be destination stops, where many major brands undercut their normal retail prices in order to shed aging or excess inventory to free up capital for more relevant merchandise.

Another popular strategy is the creation of a company owned secondary parallel retail system. A successful example would be Nordstrom’s very successful Rack stores. Nordstrom funnels aging, excess and overstock to the Rack division freeing dollars and attracting buyers that generally would not shop full price.

As far as pipes, years ago when I was buying more pipes I remember Castillo was well known for creating and supporting a substantial gray market for it’s own merchandise through well known dealers such as PCCA.

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
1. Many retail brands create a line of sub-par merchandise to be sold only at outlets
People would like to think this is true but, excluding a few super premium brands, the difference is often in the label and marketing. The majority of retailers are not manufacturing their own merchandise. It is primarily sourced through countries in Asia and Africa where the labor is most cost effective and the biggest difference between high and low end are the labels. The rest is primarily marketing. It is not the most cost effective to have multiple suppliers or supply chains, quite the opposite.
Don’t believe your best interests are the primary concern.

Reactions: BROBS and cshubhra

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Ana other thing I have noticed is that people list a pipe and then watch it year after year never sell. From what I have gathered ebay doesn't charge for a listing until the pipe gets sold. I have seen pipes going on 10 years listed at all times.
If I wasn't charged a fee for listing a pipe every month or three and was allowed to list it forever without it being sold, I would list everything I could no matter how bad the price was.

For example this pipe has been listed for around 10 years.

There is a fair bit of marketing, I would agree.

Since the labor costs are comparable, the difference is in the quality of the raw materials

However, we have gone significantly off topic
:LOL:
People would like to think this is true but, excluding a few super premium brands, the difference is often in the label and marketing. The majority of retailers are not manufacturing their own merchandise. It is primarily sourced through countries in Asia and Africa where the labor is most cost effective and the biggest difference between high and low end are the labels. The rest is primarily marketing. It is not the most cost effective to have multiple suppliers or supply chains, quite the opposite.
Don’t believe your best interests are the primary concern.

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
However, we have gone significantly off topic
Agreed. ?
It would not surprise me if a larger number of pipes where let go to a wholesaler (for whatever reason) who them flipped them quick and dirty to others down the food chain.
Then again, it would not surprise me if the pedigrees where questionable.

Generally, if it is too good to be true, then it isn’t true.

Reactions: cshubhra
Status
Not open for further replies.