PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
The headshop, generational, and China theories all sound like plausible explanations.

I'm just surprised that ebay hasn't already banned all pipe sales. Probably only because doing so might now be politically incorrect due to MJ.

Reactions: BROBS

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
That could be. A search of briar pipes only leads to just over 10,000.

View attachment 19830
That would cover only listings where the word "briar" is specifically used in the description. A lot of listings don't include that word, including listings for briar pipes.
I used my basic search, one that I've used for the past 12 years, as it covered all pipes under the tobacciana umbrella. So whatever is going on is a huge explosion.
Screen Shot 2020-02-17 at 6.39.50 PM.png

I noticed this increase when I went onto eBay to look at Peterson pipes while talking with jiminks. Normally there are between 200 and 300 Petersons listed on any given day, sometimes more. Here's where it is today:
Screen Shot 2020-02-17 at 6.50.45 PM.png

A lot of these are brand new stock

="grilledokra, post: 36075167, member: 15863"]
Do you think this increase includes an increase in headshop-style pipes also available on eBay? For better or worse, sometimes eBay also serves as a simple e-store for any number of products.
That's probably part of it as well.
="peregrinus, post: 36075168, member: 20309"]
Likely more than a single reason right?
One I’ve noticed the last few years is the fact that, first the Greatest Generation, and now the older Boomers, are beginning to age out and their collections that were built over a lifetime are coming on market.
I think this is a major factor in both the higher availability and lower prices on British briars.
That's part of it. Britwood has dropped about 30% from 2016 levels. I was aware early last year that several major collections of high end pipes were going to become available as their owners had either died, or decided to sell them because they could no longer smoke them for health reasons.
As a side note, those cellars are going to be coming to market at some point as well.

Like many of you, I only make specialized searches, and hadn't done the general search for many months, so I wasn't aware of the dramatic increase.

I also suspect that more people are focusing on buying tobaccos before the guillotine drops in 2021, and funding that process by selling off pipes.

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
That would cover only listings where the word "briar" is specifically used in the description
I had the same thought. There is a huge amount of head shop listings however.
If eBay wants to save the world why don’t they address this instead of focusing on tinned tobacco listings?

Also, for fun, I ran a meerschaum search and there were over 6,200 meerschaum listings.

Reactions: sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The bad thing about that though is that those selling weed pipes will list under that category as a smokescreen.
The good thing about it was that I was able to make some very very good buys on mislisted pipes over the years. I don't have the time to, much less the interest in, combing eBay like I once did.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Thinking about this a bit more, the results of my "basic" search used to be a bit cleaner before the code monkeys at eBay "improved" the search engine a few years ago. There was far less errata in it. But that doesn't account for anything close to the surge since late last year.

Reactions: BROBS

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Perhaps it is partly the increased awareness of this market so that pipes that would have been discarded or ended up in yard sales and flea markets get offered on eBay and other online sites.

Aging out by illness, retirement, quitting smoking, as well as death have freed up many pipes to this market.

The generational interest in tobacco pipes is less present than in earlier generations; there is no one to inherit the pipes, both because fewer people smoke pipes and people have fewer children to inherit them. At the same time, there is the above-mentioned awareness of online ways to turn the pipes into money.

On another thread, I felt I was among those accused of idle speculation. So, there I go again.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Perhaps it is partly the increased awareness of this market so that pipes that would have been discarded or ended up in yard sales and flea markets get offered on eBay and other online sites.

Aging out by illness, retirement, quitting smoking, as well as death have freed up many pipes to this market.

The generational interest in tobacco pipes is less present than in earlier generations; there is no one to inherit the pipes, both because fewer people smoke pipes and people have fewer children to inherit them. At the same time, there is the above-mentioned awareness of online ways to turn the pipes into money.

On another thread, I felt I was among those accused of idle speculation. So, there I go again.
I quite like your idle speculation.

danish

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2017
Denmark
Many good explanations above already and just wish to add that eBay's search engine might also have changed during the years. When I listed some pipes on German eBay.de for worldwide sale, I often had much difficulty finding these to appear on the US eBay.com. It may have to do with the text in listing, translation, search keywords but also whether using paypal, type of worldwide shipping, etc. Perhaps some of these search/listing criterias have changed. I don't know.

Reactions: Bowie
Status
Not open for further replies.