Not to derail the Christmas thread shenanigans....

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JJ_JJ_JJ_JJ

Can't Leave
Sep 13, 2022
But can someone please explain to me what in Gods name is the allure of Early Morning Pipe???
90% of time its like smoking hot air, the other 10% is smoking hot spicy air...

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: PipeIT and FLDRD
Um, I am not sure how this thread derails the Christmas thread. But, EMP is a delicate blend, so it require a lot of nuance to be able to pull the flavors out. It may just not be one for you. You might prefer something with more latakia or burley, something easier to taste.

My first experience with this one was a tad bit of tongue bite as well, until I learned to slow down and savor the smoke.

eslavs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 19, 2019
Sarasota, Florida
Um, I am not sure how this thread derails the Christmas thread. But, EMP is a delicate blend, so it require a lot of nuance to be able to pull the flavors out. It may just not be one for you. You might prefer something with more latakia or burley, something easier to taste.

My first experience with this one was a tad bit of tongue bite as well, until I learned to slow down and savor the smoke.
This. Agree 100%. EMP is a frequent go-to for me, and it took me a bit to figure out how to smoke it just right. When I did, it was night and day. Slow and steady is the key with this one.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
EMP is one of my favorites. I used to enjoy it while doing my occasional commutes into NYC, in a Stanwell 63. It helped make Rt 78 a bit more tolerable.

D&R Ramback Balkan is a similar blend for me, not by composition, but by the fact that it needs to be sipped slowly, at a low combustion temp. I once got a 2 hour smoke, no relights, out of a bowl of EMP while making an early morning drive into Queens, NYC.

Dr. Van Loafer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2022
Indiana
Funny, I picked up over the summer an ounce of the EMP match by Sutliff and slowly sipping I really enjoyed it and its sweet/butter notes. So this week I picked up the namebrand of EMP to try. Havent popped it open yet, but looking forward to it and sipping it slowly.

clynch

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2013
Pensacola Florida
I smoke EMP and Presbyterian all the time and I don’t understand why so many people think the flavor needs to be coaxed out of these blends and or that they have to be sipped. I think I have pretty shitty pipe smoking technique and I find both of these blends to be fabulous.
Drink an espresso with your EMP - nothing better in my opinion.
I don't really care for EMP. I'll try it with espresso. Thanks for the tip