PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
I had a Johs for a while, and it was beautifully carved and smoked well, but if I so much as looked at it wrong, the stain came off. My hands would be a creepy bright orange after just a few minutes of smoking. Never had this happen with any other pipe (and I don't think I have unusually acidic mitts). I prefer the stain to stay on the pipe.
I had the same experience. It was very unpleasant.

Reactions: odobenus
Aug 1, 2012
I'll put out my own favorite whipping boy. Kaywoodie. I hated the crap ones I bought but members here encouraged me to try them. As long as you buy good ones, they're pretty good value.

Reactions: crashthegrey

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
My nominee would be Johs, by the Danish pipe carver Mogen Johansen, good Danish craftsmanship done in enough volume to constitute a brand, and sold widely at SP, Al Pascia, Iwan Ries, etc. I have mentioned Johs pipes over the years, and from the lack of response, I'd guess few if any Forums members own these. What's your under-appreciated pipe brand nominee. (Please don't nominate major sellers like Peterson and Stanwell.)
I have a Johs that I bought as an estate from SP, a small-ish bent apple, that has a good amount of chamber. I like it and would certainly buy more Johs pipes if the opportunity comes up.

@hoosierpipeguy mentions Moretti and I agree. Handmade, Italian pipes, with beautiful light stains (and other finishes, of course) for very good prices. Also, if you order directly from Marco on eBay, you'll make a new amico. Like with Johs, a very high bang for the buck ratio...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Rightly or not, I don't count most artisan pipes as under-appreciated. The often low volume of artisan pipes, the unevenness of the availability, and the sometimes high prices put them in a different category. However, Johs are made by hand by a single individual, but he turns out so many, and is so present in the market, that I count him as a brand. I have a pipe by the late award winning North Carolina carver Bob Hayes who made wonderful pipes, but many have not heard of him. I have six by the Colfax, N.C., pipe carver Jerry Perry who works in briar, Mountain Laurel, maple and rarely cocobolo. But also, he sells only at the State Fair and the TAPS pipe show.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I picked up a Hilson Vintage series from foggymountain when he was cleaning house. I quickly became a cherished smoker and I have picked up two more from that series since.

My Viking Classic series has also been a stellar performer.

I will "second" the recommendations of both BriarWorks and Karl Erik.

1622903643312.jpeg

Reactions: mso489

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
My nominee would be Johs, by the Danish pipe carver Mogen Johansen, good Danish craftsmanship done in enough volume to constitute a brand, and sold widely at SP, Al Pascia, Iwan Ries, etc. I have mentioned Johs pipes over the years, and from the lack of response, I'd guess few if any Forums members own these. What's your under-appreciated pipe brand nominee. (Please don't nominate major sellers like Peterson and Stanwell.)

Genod, with Hilson a close 2nd.

I've found Genod (plus other French brands) to be a great value. They are well constructed & smoke beautifully for the dollars spent. My underlying frugality prevents me from buying any of the many artisan pipes out there - I guess I'd prefer to spend my money on pipe tobacco instead.

Reactions: OzPiper and mso489