PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

odobenus

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
My nominee would be Johs, by the Danish pipe carver Mogen Johansen, good Danish craftsmanship done in enough volume to constitute a brand, and sold widely at SP, Al Pascia, Iwan Ries, etc. I have mentioned Johs pipes over the years, and from the lack of response, I'd guess few if any Forums members own these. What's your under-appreciated pipe brand nominee. (Please don't nominate major sellers like Peterson and Stanwell.)
I had a Johs for a while, and it was beautifully carved and smoked well, but if I so much as looked at it wrong, the stain came off. My hands would be a creepy bright orange after just a few minutes of smoking. Never had this happen with any other pipe (and I don't think I have unusually acidic mitts). I prefer the stain to stay on the pipe.

Alejo R.

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Jeantet,Ropp and Genod,in general, briar they use is very good and well seasoned'nontheless when it comes to stems, often those do lack of refinement yet quality of vulcanite they'd use is far from being top quality,
In my country many French pipes were sold, consequently I have many Butz Choquin, Jeantet and Gracos. Very solid Pipes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
None of my Johs have given me any problems with the finish or anything else; I'm sorry to hear that. I too like Old Dominion cobs; I bought two at a pipe show from co-owner Bob Savage; Old Dominion has been sold to MM cobs, but I think the Old Dominion partners will have a hand in supplying the cobs. It was an amicable sale. They are wonderfully authentic pipes with reed stems, like my dad used to smoke. I like my Parker too, a cherrywood shape poker. It's hard to get Parker and Hardcastle these days.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Ah, yes, Mogen David, the kosher wine. A bit sweet, but fills a ceremonial function. In small quantities, I find it kind of tasty, if not compared to other wines.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
My 1st bulldog, bought in the mid-70s, was a Butz Choquin. I also have a Georg Jensen bent billiard from the mid-70's. Both of them are a regular part of my rotation.
I also have a Blakemar bulldog, a Karl Erik and 5 Morettis (7 at one stage, but gifted 2 mortas to a mate).
All the above brands are solid pipes and great value.

I do agree with MSO that, in general, French makes are undervalued.