BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
In my years of smoking in bars, restaurants, hospitals, airplanes or pool halls, I have never seen pipes singled out and cigarettes and cigars allowed. It was always cigarettes ok, pipes and cigars a no go.

It wasn't so much the smell of pipes and cigars being banned as it was the amount of smoke they produced. I remember when my local cigar shop would hold cigar dinners at a place like Capital Grille steak houses and the amount of smoke we produced blanketed the place with a cloud of sweet cigar smoke. People who were not part of our dinner would look around for a manager and would ask why we were allowed to foul the air like we did. The manager would explain what a cigar dinner was and the people could choose whether to stay or go.

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
At the 2019 West Coast Pipe Show, the sports book where most of us liked to congregate in years past, prohibited pipe smoking but still allowed cigarettes and cigars. When someone asked the manager why, he said it was because the pipe smoke was thicker and people had complained that it was blocking their view of the TVs hung up high in the room.

LOREN

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2019
Illinois -> Florida
The "no pipes" thing goes way back. While the smell of cigs and cigars bother a lot of people, it's a familiar, predictable smell.

Pipe casings and toppings can be ANYTHING, though, and business owners who see their revenue dropping because some guy insists on smoking grape aniseed vanilla licorice mint chocolate fish oil surprise tend to get categorical about pipes.
I don't think I've really detested any cigar smoke that I have smelled, cigarette smoke not really bothers me, but I have smelled some really rotten cigar smoke.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Louisiana = bars, ok. Restaurants, no dice.
I was asked to put out my cigar years ago at Prejean’s in Lafayette, before the no smoking law went into effect. Everyone was cool until a customer started complaining. I was sitting in the smoking section. After looking closely at the menu though it did say in tiny font “no cigars or pipes.” ?‍♂️

Rvk5150

Lurker
Aug 23, 2020
Michigan
Strange and cannot say I have seen or experienced this. Growing up in a different city there was a Hill & Hill Tobacco Shop in the large shopping mall. As a kid I used to go in there because I loved the smells so much and get in trouble...guess I was always destined to enjoy tobacco. At my local cigar/pipe lounge they sell it all and allow it all...one of the many reasons I love that place.

Reactions: BROBS

redrooster1977

Might Stick Around
Jun 4, 2020
You hear a lot in reviews about how people like the "room note" of this or that blend. Truth is, people really don't.. I'd say people are more tolerant of cigarette smoke, but that's just in my experience.

I agree that people are more tolerant of cigarette smoke, but only because they are more "conditioned" to it.... as some has said already.