PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

finnian3

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 12, 2015
Illinois
I don't bash smoking, I simply understand the risk and wish every other smoker did. I am a smoker, not a hobbyist as some like to label themselves. But, there is nothing efficacious about smoking. It's simply a choice everyone here has made. Many here, however, refuse to acknowledge, indeed go through all sorts of contortions to put a "healthy" face on a selfish choice, the fact that they are imperiling their health. Many here though do, readily acknowledge their wee vice as being inherently unhealthy.

Smoking is a choice best left to those who understand what they are doing to their body, accept the inherent risk without grasping at whatever "pop science of the moment" offers.
All life is a risk, but sometimes we over emphasize said risks.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Saying that you were wrong is difficult for most. Saying you made the wrong decision is difficult for most. Admitting that one is an addict is difficult for most. Saying that your behavior is relentlessly selfish and thereby screws the pooch of your life is almost unheard of because it requires humility, which is far beyond the reach of most.

All of these admissions threaten to overthrow the temple of self, in which we never do anything wrong. To admit to any of them invites ruin, or so we think, yet they may well be the gateway to a higher life founded in humility and self-examination, and not strangled by maintaining the tyrannical container of ego perhaps no more than a fiction.

(Buddhism rejects the concept of ego because the most powerful of dualities is self and other, and the dissolution of both starts with the dissolution of self. If there is no "I" there are no likes and dislikes, and without them, neither pleasure nor pain, and without these the yoke of karma is to a great extent overthrown.)

O yeah. . .smoking is an addiction? Oh yeah, baby, as it is a compulsion; whatever its periodicity, you're going to smoke again, you're just going to; and quitting is very difficult, the quitting that stays quit.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Thousands, around the world, select their method of dying every day. Guns, gas, pills, dope, razor blades, automobiles, bath tubs and electricity, hanging, tall buildings, bridges, the oceans, airplanes, railroad trains, lye, suicide by cop, the choices are almost endless.
Guess I just ain't looking for ways that hard.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
It's not so much about admitting that smoking is wrong.. anyone can do that. What's crazy is how many other common human behaviors are just as bad.. if not worse.. and fixating on how bad smoking is, compared to the rest of your daily pointless actions, is pure self loathing hypocrisy.. IF you intend to continue smoking.

Be healthy my friends.. Illogical hypocrisy runs rampant these days, and it's bad for your personal health and sanity.

Haha yea I've seen it. Hell, I'm sure I've been a part of it.

It's like watching members of a donut lovers forum complain about carbohydrates, though.
Carbs suck, but donuts are unstoppably delicious! It's these bitter ironies that make life funny and bearable.
1614052435793.png

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
hypocrisy
In what manner? I admit smoking is unhealthy. But, I smoke, I made a decision to take the risk. I'll also eat a couple of hot dogs now and then. Certainly not helpful for my weakened heart. I'll also chip ice and shovel snow. Risk v reward at work. The difference between simply living life and enjoying life. But, as this site is dedicated to smoking it obviously follows, smoking would be the most discussed of the wee vices available to us.

I've been known to light up even as I caution someone as to the negatives of doing such, health dangers and costs being two which should be seriously considered when contemplating taking up tobacco. Nothing hypocritical in admitting to a personal weakness.

Status
Not open for further replies.