PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
I prefer Nightcap for its strength and richness. 965 isn't bad either but I guess it depends on your taste: if you like cavendish you will also like 965, if you're more a perique guy instead Nightcap could be a better choice.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
I like to mix babys bottom with 40% perique then it is a true babys bottom: smooth yet sometimes explosive.

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
965 - Frequently quoted as "The finest mixture ever produced".
Nightcap and Aperitif follow close behind, imho. :puffy:

Jul 15, 2011
Don't know that I've ever had 965. I love nightcap. Anyone want to trade me for some 965? I got lots of goodies I can get rid of.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I've been wanting to try both of these, but haven't as of yet. Looks like by the almost even split between how many of you like one over the other, I'll just have to buy both tins before they're gone to give them a try. If I like them enough, then I'll worry about "match" blends to buy that don't look like they'll disappear anytime soon. On that note though, how are Sutliff's 965 and Nightcap matches? Anyone besides JimInks gave the Sutliff matches a go?

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I don't care for either one of them. I don't like sweet latakia blends, and I don't want to be hit over the head with latakia, either. I do smoke some Standard now and then, and a fair amount of MM1938.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Four yrs ago, when I first started both pipes and this forum, it popped out at me that there were a few essential experiences I should try to have..

Nightcap

Escudo

12 doz or so vapers (ya, I'm exaggerating, slightly)

a Dunhill

a Meerschaum

C&D Burley

Codger Blends

as for blend preferences, those change depending on mood, time of day, setting, and plain old whim, and I like having a variety around to keep my palate energized.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Nightcap was the first 'real' blend I bought and have strong memories of it, both of it incinerating my tongue, and me learning patience and breathing. I've cellared 5 or so tins.
I've never tried 965 but I think I have a tin of that as well. One of these years I will get to it.
AmazingDamagedAmericanquarterhorse-max-1mb.gif

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
Artisans Bend for me there something about the Dunhill Englishish blends that doesn't agree with my tastebuds.

Or artisans blend oops. Artisans bend is something different altogether.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Nightcap > 965. Over the past year my palate has gravitated toward Va/VaPer blends. So if I want anynlatakia/English I want it I big and strong and in my face. Thus, I have cellared mainly Artisan’s blend like noted above and Old Ironsides. That said, I do love EMP, but that is kinda Balkan to me. And if I want a Balkan, I will grab Penzance every time.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Well, I reckon I'll find out if I like Nightcap at least. Just made an order from SP's for a tin and a couple bundles of cleaners, a couple more Czech tools and some more softee bits. Should be here tomorrow or so the tracking tells me. Do you smoke Nightcap during the day, despite the name and effect?

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I never thought Nightcap was overwhelming with nicotine. It is the flavour that is so rich and satisfying, that any other blend will seem bleak afterwards.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Well, I don't know about 965, but my Nightcap was here when I got home today. I popped the tin and set out a bowl to dry for a before bedtime smoke. I like this blend. Very satisfying. It took almost a full bowl for me to experience the full flavor though, but now I know what I'm looking for.

glaswegian

Lurker
Jul 4, 2018
I would prefer 965. It was my first english blend and I love it. I´m not a real fan of perique in english blends. It neutralizes some way the nice taste of the orientals.

Status
Not open for further replies.