PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I never understand why Dunhill Standard doesn't get more attention. I'll take it over either 965 or Nightcap.

Mar 1, 2014
I haven't had any luck with either but after trying some wet Star of the East the other week (I wanted to add moisture before cellaring) and finding the flavour greatly diminished, I'm second guessing myself now on whether it just wasn't dry enough (noob mistakes, *sigh*).

rblood

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
I love them both (preferably in large quatities), depending on mood.

mephistopheles

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 14, 2014
Somebody on here once wrote that Nightcap should be called "Nightstick". :lol: I'm more inclined to believe that's the truth after just taking a quick whiff off a fresh tin. I can't stand the smell of the stuff. The little sample I was given seemed to smoke me out of my bedroom without ever being lit.
MM 965 is excellent. I only tried a sample of it, but it was quite flavorful and not at all overbearing. :clap:

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
My first try with nightcap was overwhelming on an empty stomach- lesson learned. I remember standing up and wobbling around. Lol
965 during the day, great smoke
Nightcap after dinner-another great smoke
I never understand why Dunhill Standard doesn't get more attention. I'll take it over either 965 or Nightcap.
Jud. Standard never really did much for me, found it kind of bland

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
And here we are 2 years later and still, nothing beats 965 for an English blend. Nightcap is still excellent and I did find GLP Quiet Nights to rate up there with Nightcap. Nothing beats 965 though.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I think that The Aperitif is somewhat better. I also have a tin of BB1938 which I have yet to try.

glaswegian

Lurker
Jul 4, 2018
MM965 was my first english I ever smoked and I got hooked with it. Very nice taste and it´s really an allday smoke. Nightcap I prefer to smoke at night as the name recommends..It´s more complex and stronger so I have to relax more and be more focused while I´m smoking.

tavol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2018
Whilst I enjoyed both I preferred Nightcap over 965 as it's richer and feels more decadent. It's been a while since I've smoked either as they're not favourites.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There are some good matches if these old favorites disappear under the Dunhill name. "Matches" is a relative term, but sometimes the match is different from but as good as the original.

checotah

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2012
MM965 was my "big jar blend" until Dunhill stopped shipment to the States some years back. Then switched to GL Pease's Westminster. Still very much enjoy MM965. Night cap is good, but isn't "up there" for me. Have dozen or so tins of each in the cellar.

Status
Not open for further replies.