PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I have done intermittent keto for about a decade now. It's the medical version of the diet, not the culinary version. When I'm on I am something like 10-20 net per day, very strict about it. I also haven't noticed a difference in smoke, though I notice the difference severely with other things like booze, intense thirst, excessive soreness after working out.

Not everyone experiences the same thing, for example some people report flulike symptoms first few weeks, or they report getting a rash, irritability, those never happened to me. Some of these metabolic changes are very pronounced, well known and widely reported. I thought there might be something to nicotine if it interacts with blood sugars, which I just haven't experienced or hadn't noticed.
Yeah! The booze will get you on a strict keto. I've made my drinks tiny but I feel them without chips and crap to eat with them.

Ethan

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2021
Massachusetts, USA
Yeah! The booze will get you on a strict keto. I've made my drinks tiny but I feel them without chips and crap to eat with them.
I don't drink much or often these days. Which is good for me, I make sure when I do it's something that is worth my time. 99% of those times it's bourbon...sometimes I get fancy with a mixed drink like bourbon with an ice cube in it.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Cosmic wrote:

Sometimes, it is a gut wrench, sweats, nausea, lightheadedness, a green feeling, dizzyness, or a feverish feeling.
In cases of overdose or nicotine poisoning, a bite of chocolate or something sweet quickly offsets those feelings, because of the imbalance of blood sugars.

Best group of adjectives I read.

Mar 1, 2014
Hi!

I'm a beginner that just tried pipe for the first time this week.

I've never smoked anything, besides 15 minutes of hookah a few years ago. Never tried cigarettes, cigars, ou anything that has tobacco in it.

I bought my first pipe and my first tobacco this week. The tobacco that I bought is a flovored one called Cândido Giovanella, produced in my city (Curitiba, Brazil).

I smoked it three times. I really liked the smell of it, and the sensation of the smoke entering my mouth, but that was basically it. I felt absolutely nothing. I was not more relaxed, more euphoric, more calm, more alert, dizzy or anything like that. Nothing.

I looked for the reason for this, and apparently it is common with flavored tobacco. Especially the cheapest ones, as was the case with this one (45g for about R$35, or $6). Does this make any sense?

I am thinking of buying a non-flavored, very strong one, like the Peterson Irish Flake (for comparison of price, 50g of this one is around R$170, or $30), in order to finally feel something/anything while smoking... Should I do this?

During my searches, I found some people commenting on nic-kick -- sometimes as a bad thing, and sometimes as a good thing. But I haven't found what this actually is. What is it like? Is that what I mentioned earlier, of feeling extremely more relaxed, for example? Or is it something completely different?

Thank you for all the help!
Depending on your size/weight you might not get much.
I don't feel any effects of Caffeine until I'm severely sleep deprived, and the way my body reacts to Nicotine it goes straight from a whisper of a feeling to crippling nausea, not much of a middle ground.
Which I am kind of glad for.

TimeKiller

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2021
Texas
I guess I was wrong I thought keto included some fasting.
Nah you don't have to fast on keto, it's just the name to describe a metabolic state where your body produces ketones and turns to burning fat instead of sugar to get energy. However, because of how it works, because it burns fat and lots of people are on keto for weight loss, and because keto is a superb appetite suppressant, it's often paired with intermittent fasting, they go very well together. Like, even though I don't do it for weight loss, sometimes I can go a day or two without eating simply because I'm not hungry, I don't even realize it, I just forget. That's not an exaggeration. Then when you do get hungry it's more like a gentle craving than weakness and intense hunger like from low blood sugar.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Nah you don't have to fast on keto, it's just the name to describe a metabolic state where your body produces ketones and turns to burning fat instead of sugar to get energy. However, because of how it works, because it burns fat and lots of people are on keto for weight loss, and because keto is a superb appetite suppressant, it's often paired with intermittent fasting, they go very well together. Like, even though I don't do it for weight loss, sometimes I can go a day or two without eating simply because I'm not hungry, I don't even realize it, I just forget. That's not an exaggeration. Then when you do get hungry it's more like a gentle craving than weakness and intense hunger like from low blood sugar.
It's the stable blood sugar that allows you to keep an even keel. Sometimes I'll have a hard boiled egg or a cheese stick to tide me over. Good post!

Ethan

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2021
Massachusetts, USA
I have tried the OMAD thing, but still consume an entire day's calories in the 1 meal. Excessive calorie deficit over a prolonged period can have negative effects on the metabolism...which is way more concerning than any changes in nicotine effects. Also, deep fried beef chuck roast is worth doing if you never had it. 350, about 2.5-3 minutes per lb is right. Back to the effects with tobacco, while I never used to have major problems with tongue bite, over the past several years I would say it almost zero. With the exception of Granger. I do wonder if the diet has a positive effect on the body's ph which is working in my favor.

Rock3r4life

Lurker
Apr 10, 2021
Illinois
Hi!

I'm a beginner that just tried pipe for the first time this week.

I've never smoked anything, besides 15 minutes of hookah a few years ago. Never tried cigarettes, cigars, ou anything that has tobacco in it.

I bought my first pipe and my first tobacco this week. The tobacco that I bought is a flovored one called Cândido Giovanella, produced in my city (Curitiba, Brazil).

I smoked it three times. I really liked the smell of it, and the sensation of the smoke entering my mouth, but that was basically it. I felt absolutely nothing. I was not more relaxed, more euphoric, more calm, more alert, dizzy or anything like that. Nothing.

I looked for the reason for this, and apparently it is common with flavored tobacco. Especially the cheapest ones, as was the case with this one (45g for about R$35, or $6). Does this make any sense?

I am thinking of buying a non-flavored, very strong one, like the Peterson Irish Flake (for comparison of price, 50g of this one is around R$170, or $30), in order to finally feel something/anything while smoking... Should I do this?

During my searches, I found some people commenting on nic-kick -- sometimes as a bad thing, and sometimes as a good thing. But I haven't found what this actually is. What is it like? Is that what I mentioned earlier, of feeling extremely more relaxed, for example? Or is it something completely different?

Thank you for all the help!
Maybe you got some weak tobacco, maybe you're taking baby puffs: if youve never smoked/dipped/ anything, and you're doing it right you should feel something. I think the best way to explain the idea is to say it's KIND OF like a Jack and Coke, or a vodka red-bull; as it is a SLIGHTLY euphoric synergy of both "fast and slow" idk it's hard to explain, and my tolerance and/or potential addiction may put me in a different ball game. Fwiw, the only time I have ever seen anyone "sick" from nicotine is when my friend who never smoked or dipped in his life tried one of my super strong snus's (oral tobacco) but no way will a pipe will do that. If you don't think you've reached the point of effects, try upping the notch a bit. Almost like eating food: eat until you can feel you're not hungry. But I am not a "PC" kinda guy so what do I know.

Last edited:

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
A very big nic-hit, which i have never gotten from a pipe, can make you feel light headed and nauseous.
I've had very strong Cigars, such as the Andalusian Bull, knock me right down on my ass, and make me want to puke. Although that was on an empty stomach.