PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I usually start to feel it after 30 minutes
This reminds me of an important thing to keep in mind: when you start feeling negative effects of nicotine, put the pipe/cigar/cigarette down immediately! You are feeling the effects of previous puffs, rather than that of the last one you had just before you started feeling weird. Nicotine is cummulative: if you keep puffing once you start feeling odd, you'll be real sick.

Again: once you start feeling an ill effect, stop smoking immediately. Go eat some candy or chocolate.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I've never experienced any negative nicotine effect from pipe or cigar smoking no matter how strong the blend...only a mild calming effect if I feel anything at all.

I've only smoked cigarettes a handful of times in my life and never inhaled...didn't feel anything.

The only negative nicotine effects I've ever experienced was from chewing tobacco such as Skoal or Copenhagen...way too strong for me. Dizziness and lightheadedness. Leaf chew such as Redman I can tolerate, but still way stronger than pipes or cigars.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Typically, I would sit on my chair on front porch, smoke, wait and go back in. That day, I was in hurry for some reason. Finished the smoke and got up. That's the last thing I remember. My wife and younger son was trying to bring me out of it when I opened my eyes. After that, I finished the pack and haven't bought one again since. Probably didn't have good enough dinner night before or low on blood glucose.
Reds really aren't that nic heavy when it comes to cigarettes, Camels are a power house though.

elnoblecigarro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 27, 2020
Without inhaling it'd probably make no difference, though.

Cigarettes are too weak and burn way too quickly for you to be able to absorb enough nicotine through oral mucosa. They need to be inhaled to feel anything.

I tried these European "7 minute cigars" and these aren't supposed to be inhaled. Didn't feel anything. I found out that 7 minutes isn't enough to absorb nicotine through mouth via smoke.

ptzky

Lurker
Apr 1, 2021
Brazil
Thank you so much for everyone who answered!

So, definetely I bought a very weak tobacco.

Today I got a cuban cigar (Petit Quintero, of Cienfuegos, Cuba), and when I was almost finishing it, it got me. I felt everything that you guys said.

A sensation as if the whole weight of my body had gone away. I didn't feel dizzy, or something like that, but all I wanted to do that moment was lie down and stay there.

Was a feeling that I never experienced before, maybe similar to when my blood pressure drop, but without dizziness.

A few minutes later, I started to feel a little nauseated, as if I was going to be sick, but it didn't last long.

I didn't eat anything today, and I smoked the cigar at the end of the day, so I guess that helped...

As for the cigar itself, it was not an interesting experience for me as the pipe. I probably won't buy another one. But I definitely need to buy some better quality tobacco for my pipe.

As some of you have said, smoking a pipe is more for the experience, for the "ritual" of smoking it.

It was interesting to feel what I felt today, but it is not something I would look for. That feeling of "weightless" was very good, but not the feeling of nausea afterwards...

Thanks again to everyone who responded!

Ethan

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2021
Massachusetts, USA
So what's the theory on how this interacts with something like keto where your body is basically starved of sugars and is adapted to burn fat?
Been very low carb for years[average less than 30 per day], have not seen any difference in how my body responds to nicotine, or any negative after effects. I have tried keto....the actual diet,, not just buying products with the word keto on the box. The internet is a terrible place for information on this topic, I recommend doing your own research.

So what's the theory on how this interacts with something like keto where your body is basically starved of sugars and is adapted to burn fat?
I am no scientist, nor a doctor, but I imagine that by the time it hits the blood, that the fat is converted into useable sugars for your cells. I can't imagine that your blood has actual fat in it, but ask your doctor if it is a concern.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
You will feel
Fucked up off every pipe you smoke.
I used to barely eat and I would get dizzy and whatnot constantly off the pipe.

I used to barely eat and I would get dizzy and whatnot constantly off the pipe.
Yeah, I was fasting for a colonoscopy on Sunday, and even the smell of smoke made me sick feeling.

At night, just before going to bed, I will load up a pipe with a heavy hitter like Picayune or Dark Flake, grab a few small Halloween sized wrapped chocolates, and a glass of ice water to smoke myself sleepy for bed. The bite of chocolate helps reduce the spinny feeling.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
If you really want to know...yummmmmmm ?

5b70b6d5c8b0aaf91af2f90b63deb793.jpg

TimeKiller

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2021
Texas
Been very low carb for years[average less than 30 per day], have not seen any difference in how my body responds to nicotine, or any negative after effects. I have tried keto....the actual diet,, not just buying products with the word keto on the box. The internet is a terrible place for information on this topic, I recommend doing your own research.
I have done intermittent keto for about a decade now. It's the medical version of the diet, not the culinary version. When I'm on I am something like 10-20 net per day, very strict about it. I also haven't noticed a difference in smoke, though I notice the difference severely with other things like booze, intense thirst, excessive soreness after working out.

Not everyone experiences the same thing, for example some people report flulike symptoms first few weeks, or they report getting a rash, irritability, those never happened to me. Some of these metabolic changes are very pronounced, well known and widely reported. I thought there might be something to nicotine if it interacts with blood sugars, which I just haven't experienced or hadn't noticed.

Reactions: edger and Ethan