PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Nothing regarding human behavior in the post-caveman era could be more clear than those who lust for power are the LAST people who should have it, and the prospect of power is a filter which selects for greedy, self-obsessed assholes.

The irony being that such disgusting creatures were necessary for species survival before that time, but will be the cause of its extinction once the technology that was developed as a by-product of that survival is capable of accomplishing it.

Put another way: Two million years of rocks and pointy things; a few centuries of tubes filled with fancy charcoal and shooty things; a few decades of The Sun In A Can deliverable anywhere on Earth in minutes; and a few years of tailor-made diseases.... but mankind's narcissistic Machiavellian sociopaths are still in charge.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
If people would stop being so focused on the federal scale and be more involved at the local scale, yes.

I’m generally quite fond of my township politics and they impact my life more directly. If you live in a town with a local government that is relatively aligned with your own thoughts, it can actually do well.

Even at the county level, there’s still good potential. I feel it really starts to slide at the state level and higher as ruling diversity and temptation grows significantly under a larger populace where you don’t actually have to see the people you represent face to face just going to the store.
That’s encouraging to hear that your local officials serve you well!

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
Nothing regarding human behavior in the post-caveman era could be more clear than those who lust for power are the LAST people who should have it, and the prospect of power is a filter which selects for greedy, self-obsessed assholes.
"It is not in the nature of politics that the best men should be elected. The best men do not want to govern their fellowmen."

George MacDonald

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Their retirement plan is often charging speaking fees. Like some peoples yearly earnings to introduce a few people say the country is great and try the meat loaf.
But surely their words of wisdom are worth what they charge, right?

I mean, Obama's standard rate for half hour talk is only $400,000.

Well, they may get big lobbyist donations and outlandish speaking fees, but at least they're not getting bribes and payoffs. Right?...right?

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
we are and always will be ruled by a kakistocracy

Exactly

Which is why the technology component is so scary.

Until the latter 20th century, ruler-dictator-king-emperor wannabees had only spies and snitches and soldiers as weapons, and look at what they accomplished with those --- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, Pol Pot...

Today, from phone records, to purchases, to travel, to associates, to face recognition, to social media of every kind, they know many orders of magnitude more about individuals than only a generation ago.

And to force compliance, all they have to do is freeze or eliminate your bank account(s).

(Not only does that capability already exist, it has already been used in a significant way in a Western country)

Will the dark triad creatures that have killed millions on a whim with "analog methods" for centuries suddenly STOP using every weapon that's available to them?

Of course not.

The real fun has barely started.