PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jaingorenard

Can't Leave
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
I mentioned this in another thread, but a lot of people are speculating that the UK will also drop it (not wanting to be seen to be the first country to impinge on rights rather than an early adopter of a sensible public health policy). Interesting how perspective changes when you're the exception.

Just to caveat though, I think this is likely to only be delayed, I think these policies will increasingly be looked at and maybe adopted. Whatever you think about the motive, it would be terrible and hopeless legislation.

DeerparkDays

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 30, 2022
Dannevirke, New Zealand
Yeah guys, a 1.75 oz tin here is US$100, most of that’s tobacco tax, and the same tax is on any type of tobacco, and there are still plenty of cig smokers around. The new govt would have opened the books and thought “wooooow…..is this how much revenue comes in from tobacco. Let’s leave that money pit alone!”.

Personal liberty….just boils down to what’s socially acceptable or not now a days.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Good news. I always feel bad for pipe smokers in other countries that have to deal with outrageous tobacco laws and taxes. Also sad that it's money that wins out as the reason for scrapping this, rather than personal liberty.
Personal liberty is lucrative. It's a mask that money often wears to justify taxation. If told you're free to do something, look for the fine print or strings attached.

PaulRVA

Lifer
May 29, 2023
“Tobacco Row “Richmond Virginia USA
This is what the BBC says.

"New Zealand's new government has announced it will scrap the nation's world-leading smoking ban to help fund tax cuts."

This is an interesting development.
I always wanted to visit there.
Everyone Ive met from there was a
Friendly and wonderful person.
Their politicians are however pure crap.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I came here to post that. I am a cynical person who gets a real kick when I see something so cold-blooded and cynical as this bit of news!

It's all a short term cost-benefit analysis. The predictable revenues from the taxes will continue coming, the predictable healthcare costs will continue coming too. Any healthcare cost benefit would come in 15-30 years' time, and by then most of the current govt (not of NZ, any gov) will be retired or dead, so who gives a shit about that!?

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
Out of curiosity, is there any place on this planet where their politicians are kind, honest and trustworthy and NOT pure crap?
Not in the job description, somehow they continue to get elected/re-elected. 🤷‍♂️ Read an interesting article the other day describing that in a number of states, people are getting issues placed on statewide ballots bypassing their state legislature which seems incapable of passing desired legislation.

El Capitán

Lifer
Jun 5, 2022
Newberry, Indiana
Not in the job description, somehow they continue to get elected/re-elected. 🤷‍♂️ Read an interesting article the other day describing that in a number of states, people are getting issues placed on statewide ballots bypassing their state legislature which seems incapable of passing desired legislation.
In indiana we cannot bypass the legislature. It's the reason why Marijuana hasn't been legalized here even though there is a positive view at 85% among the citizens. I would benefit from it so I can get off some of my mental health medications

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com

"New Zealand's new government has announced it will scrap the nation's world-leading smoking ban to help fund tax cuts."

Consumer tax to fund reduction of other taxes, like property or income? It's just to shift which part of the population gets hit.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA

Terrible laws have a tendency to end because they don't quite work, the question is will it happen soon enough to make us happy?
and relatively predictable. Also things always change.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
In NV the Devils Weed tax was supposed to help the school budget.

Problem is the school budget is fixed by the legislature.

Any money going into the schools budget from the wacky baccy fund then causes a “return” to the general budget.

You know, the general budget that is more commonly referred to as the rainy day fund or more accurately the slush fund.

Show me a politician not hooked on spending other peoples money and I’ll show you one that “retired”.

btp79

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2018
Sugar Land, TX
In my opinion, sin taxes follow a predictable cycle. They start out altruistically as a means to discourage "harmful" behavior. Eventually, the state gets addicted to the revenue whereupon they start raising the rate but not so high as to reduce or eliminate the revenue.
I don't know man, $100/tin would 100% reduce or eliminate me!

Reactions: seanv
Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Out of curiosity, is there any place on this planet where their politicians are kind, honest and trustworthy and NOT pure crap?
If people would stop being so focused on the federal scale and be more involved at the local scale, yes.

I’m generally quite fond of my township politics and they impact my life more directly. If you live in a town with a local government that is relatively aligned with your own thoughts, it can actually do well.

Even at the county level, there’s still good potential. I feel it really starts to slide at the state level and higher as ruling diversity and temptation grows significantly under a larger populace where you don’t actually have to see the people you represent face to face just going to the store.