PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

KDD

Lurker
Oct 13, 2020
I think they come out of the tin smokeable. I bet your packing too tightly because coins and flakes really love expanding after you introduce flame too them. The relights are happening because there isn't enough air in the bowl to sustain burning not because the tobacco is too wet I mean you'll get relights but one or two or a million at the start (flakes and coins do that no big deal). This trick may work for you take two or three coins depending on your chamber size and kind of break it up a little bit and roll it into a ball that can be stuffed into the pipe and leave the bottom part with an air bubble maybe roughly about a third of the total room in the bowl. That isn't my favorite packing method but it's easy and seems to work well even though you'll be surprised when the bowl just suddenly stops smoking :). Great choice on what tin to buy by the way it is one of the ones that doesn't get the mad love it deserves often enough. Though sometimes you have to search it out cause it's got mild supply issues. Right out of the tin it's one of the few blends I can smoke it down to that fabled fine white ash and I have no idea why but it does tell me it's not too moist from the tin.

I was packing it very losely, rubbing the flake with my hands making ribbons out of it and just throwing it in the bowl without tamping.

The taste i got when it was straight out of the tin was much better than after drying it although i had to keep relighting. I could feel a nice taste to the tobacco some creaminess and a bit of sweetness.

When i dried it, it tasted like plain smoke nothing interesting.

Im still playing with it till my other tobaccos arrive. I think ill try again today straight out of the tin.

Reactions: Effortlessdepths

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
I have a few 626s, and like most Savinellis, they smoke great. Your issue seems related to the tobacco and/or packing the bowl. Another possibility could be the 6mm Balsa filters. If you are using them and they are pushed too far into the tenon/stem, then they can affect the draw necessitating relight... Also, try smoking it with the adapter, or without to see if that helps...

Last edited:
Reactions: HitchensDog

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Buy a nice flake pipe. Learn how to fold and stuff a flake. Get a tin of Capstan Blue Flake and keep practicing till you get it right. Screw ribbons or other cuts, you will end up on flakes eventually, I say go big or go home. You will thank me one day and glorify me as it should be.

EvertonFC

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2020
Philadelphia
...but i still needed to puff a bit faster to keep it lit. tasted nasty btw!!
You're much better off allowing it to simply go out, than using an increased cadence to keep it lit. A rapid cadence will only create a greater likelihood of tongue burn, as well as diminished flavor from the tobacco. The nasty taste very likely came from the tobacco burning too hot.

KDD

Lurker
Oct 13, 2020
I have a few 626s, and like most Savinellis, they smoke great. Your issue seems related to the tobacco and/or packing the bowl. Another possibility could be the 6mm Balsa filters. If you are using them and they are pushed too far into the tenon/stem, then they can affect the draw necessitating relight... Also, try smoking it with the adapter, or without to see if that helps...

Yes im using the filters and yes i guess about three quarters of the filter is in the stem. Thanks i never thought of that ill give that a go.

I dont know why im worried of having burnt out the pipe, maybe im overthinking it. The nasty taste makes me think its burnt out but the cake looks nice and the chamber walls are very smooth. I never allowed the pipe to get too hot but a couple of times a quick fire from the tobacco showed up and then gone quickly. A side of the chamber wall has gone black . Is that normal??

Last edited:

KDD

Lurker
Oct 13, 2020
Buy a nice flake pipe. Learn how to fold and stuff a flake. Get a tin of Capstan Blue Flake and keep practicing till you get it right. Screw ribbons or other cuts, you will end up on flakes eventually, I say go big or go home. You will thank me one day and glorify me as it should be.

Flake pipe? how do i know what pipes are for flakes?
As you said go big or go home and thats exactly why i chose the flake, i just need to learn how to light them. Im still trying but not working at all.

KDD

Lurker
Oct 13, 2020
You're much better off allowing it to simply go out, than using an increased cadence to keep it lit. A rapid cadence will only create a greater likelihood of tongue burn, as well as diminished flavor from the tobacco. The nasty taste very likely came from the tobacco burning too hot.

Yea i guess your right, the tobacco is burning too hot because im puffing hard to keep it lit.

I just wanna relax and enjoy smoking slowly but it aint happening till now.

HitchensDog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Omaha, Nebraska, USA
Just my 2 cents, but I really think it's packing that's the issue. Go on youtube and look through all the different methods; swirl method, frank method, air pocket method, etc. One of those will work for you. I know flakes are different, but those methods will work for ribbon. My method for flakes; I take a flake, then cut across the flake with scissors to get little cubes. I let those dry (really dry), gravity fill my pipe, and I'm off and running. I'm sure I'm breaking some pipe smoking rules with my method (haha), but honestly, it really does work for me, and it's easy.

ChuckMijo

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2020
I’m going to be the devil in this thread. I pack my bowls a lot tighter then probably most. I just scoop out of jar and shove it in with finger fairly tight. Never had a issue. At a BM store I watched a guy sprinkle it in . Never done that. That doesn’t mean I’m right and he is wrong. Play around. You will find what works for you.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
If the tobacco is dry enough, you don't need any technique....flakes, ropes and plugs excepted.

I usually stick the bowl in the pouch, scoop the tobacco in with a digit, press medium hard when finished. One light. Charring lights are cool, but not necessary for many.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I still think it's a packing issue. Flakes can be trickier with that kind of thing. But like people said try different techniques and see what you're happiest with. And honestly they're all the same just ways to get the tobacco into the pipe. But following the directions should give you a better handle on what is a proper enjoyable pack on a pipe.

Magpiety

Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City
There's a lot of great advice here, I just wanted to say this: don't stress too much about it. I'm sure that everything here will help, but 95% of what will help is the basics. Pack it however you want, just make sure it's not too tight by testing the draw. You will get a feel for what works. I like a tiny bit of resistance, but not very much--just so I know the tobacco is in there. Dryness helps, but I have never dried a single bowlful of tobacco for more than like 15mins while finishing something up. It's mostly the packing, and you'll get a feel for it if you take a test draw every time after packing it.

FWIW I just opened a fresh tin of Peterson Flake right before starting my current smoke. I laid out a tin-wet flake while watching the Chiefs game for just a few minutes while I was getting a glass of tea. I then rubbed it out, loaded it up (with no real method), char light, and then current light. Now I'm almost done with the bowl with no relights. I'm not a pro at this, but practice makes it automatic. Summary: don't get stressed about the methods and everything.

Mr.Pink

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2020
Chicago IL
Try placing a fresh pipe cleaner in the pipe before you pack it to help with your draw problems. Then, if this makes sense, in relation to the amount of pressure to place on the tobacco while packing should be: Pack like a "baby"(bottom of the bowl) Pack like a "boy"(mid bowl) pack like a "man"(top Bowl) You will figure it out.

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
I smoke Davidoff medallions somewhat regularly and never let it dry out and it smokes fine. I rub them out thoroughly into a ribbon consistency. By the time I have it all rubbed out, it's plenty dry for me. For me, tobacco that is too dry or smoked too hot will degrade flavor. I agree with those stating it's most likely a packing issue. Too loose and the ember doesn't stay in contact with the tobacco below. Too tight and air can't sufficiently reach the ember. Don't draw aggressively on a new pipe or there is a risk of it burning the wood. If you find you're having to do that then stop, empty the pipe and repack. It's not worth ruining your pipe.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Some awfully nice looking pipes- 2017

WT0417-Briar-Stem-Liverpool-Instagram-format.jpg

Currently on offer:
305272904.jpg

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
If the pipe is going out after one puff, it was never truly lit to begin with. Don't be afraid to get a good cherry going to get the pipe off to a proper start. Most beginners are afraid to use too much flame to start. Just keep trying and you'll find what works best for you.

Reactions: Effortlessdepths

Effortlessdepths

Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
KDD, I think you're making a good move with trying ribbon first. My humble suggestion, try the light level-tap/pinch fill method talked about in the "Moisture Issues" thread and see if at least get's you through a bowl.

There are a lot of experienced pipe smokers on this board...many more so than I (I've been back to pipes for about two years now). My opinion only, I think moisture is more of an 'experts' issue. Moisture has typically impacted me in two cases.....rare cases where I struggle to get flame going on the tobacco to start and where I don't get the flavors I expect from a blend. When you are an experienced smoker who is really dialed in on flavors, I think moisture then becomes a noticeable factor in experience. But for newer smokers...there are many blends that smoke "fine" out of the tin or with 10-15 minutes of dry time spread out on a napkin/paper plate. If everyone had to dry for hours to some specific RH...very few folks would be doing this (or less then the few today ;))

The 'right' pack isn't complicated voodoo but it is a bit like getting the knack of starting a camp fire. Some logs and tinder...put in a dry seeming area...toss match and done, right? You learn quick you've got to set your tinder/smaller kindling a certain way, leverage larger logs for right airflow...pretty soon you've got an eye for what the right space/flow/kindling is and you can repeat without issue. Pipe tobacco has that moment where you learn the right 'spacing' of the pack (especially starting with ribbon) and it's off to the races. Most folks are following the "three fill/tamp" method and you get started OK because the top is that looser sprinkle...but everything beyond the first 1/3 or so is easy to become compressed too much. You re-light and puff, re-light and puff in rapid succsession....heat goes up, moisture draws out....doesn't stay light, get's wet, and tastes sour/ashy.
This. I was going to say something along these lines, and even use the campfire analogy, but I couldn't say it better myself. Well said

Reactions: tjsgarden

Effortlessdepths

Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
I second MSO. I may be repeating what others have said, but a good initial charring light will help. Took me awhile to figure that one out.
If the pipe is going out after one puff, it was never truly lit to begin with. Don't be afraid to get a good cherry going to get the pipe off to a proper start. Most beginners are afraid to use too much flame to start. Just keep trying and you'll find what works best for you.
This took me awhile too. That good, thorough lighting in the beginning is important

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I find if you get a good start that if you have to relight it takes a whisp of heat barely touching it to get a good even cherry. No idea why and I don't really wonder.