PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Laurent

Lifer
Dec 25, 2021
Michigan
Your photos show mostly straight pipes. You might want to test your rack with full-curve pipes to see whether they will lean back enough to be stable. I agree with the suggestion of accommodating larger pipes but don't think leaving more space laterally will do the trick. Unless you offer longer slings, the larger pipes will end up sitting higher than pipes with smaller bowls. Having said that, the design is very elegant and functional.
We tried every pipe at the store, churchwarden, bent, odd shapes and they all fit. The leather gives to bigger pipes. The only pipe that didn’t fit was a Castello oversized apple.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I will be selling them. I have to fill the local B&M order and then I’ll be posting new ones for sale. Im using high grade wood, these are white ash, and cow leather. I will be using other types of wood and leather dyes soon. I also have the plans for 12 pipe double stack racks that will also hang on the wall.
Michigander here and I end up all over the state, but don't get out west often.

Which B&M? PM me if you don't want the store public.

Reactions: BROBS and Laurent

Laurent

Lifer
Dec 25, 2021
Michigan
Michigander here and I end up all over the state, but don't get out west often.

Which B&M? PM me if you don't want the store public.
Indian river tobacco in Grand Rapids. I’m dropping off the order Monday. Then I have 5 more that I’ll be making for sale. Then I’m making some 12 pipe racks. I also will be working with my neighbor on some stone and leather racks, that will be a little later.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Laurent, you also might want to consider different metals for the racks as you expand your choices. I can see them with cherry or walnut finishes with brass rods, piano gloss black with polished aluminum, Painted ends with with powder coated matching or contrasting rods (powder coating is much more durable and with a cheap gun, you can do it at home in your oven.) I really like the feed back someone gave of being able to add or as important, subtract the pipe cups. Maybe it's just a quirk of mine but personally, a pipe rack with an empty space is like the Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue without attractive models - it's just visually annoying.

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
As I got into pipes and collecting them, soon I realized I need place to put them. I went online and didn’t like anything I saw, I was looking for something more modern. Talking to the manager at the local B&M and other pipe club members, I gathered their opinions and criticisms and started my journey. After the prototype was done, we tried every pipe in the store for fit. I listen to more opinions and fixed a few things. I’m a believer in criticism makes better products, I’m looking for yours. I have two other colors I’ll be showing later. Thank you for your time and opinions. View attachment 124682View attachment 124683View attachment 124684View attachment 124685
I wanted something modern too. 99% of the racks out there are wood grained, stained some shade of brown. I went with this. It’s wood, but it’s black and to my eye looks sleeker than others. I think it was $30. I like that I can put one of these back to back with a second for a circular rack if I had more pipes and I appreciate that you don’t need to thread the pipe stem through holes; they just lean and rest, so no fussing when I need to snag one.

Attachments

• 2F427D46-4DAD-4F21-BDC6-B394CD8C3FD2.jpeg
    2F427D46-4DAD-4F21-BDC6-B394CD8C3FD2.jpeg
    173.6 KB · Views: 16
  • E176890B-92E7-4EF3-B9CE-D78F9D2F2B8B.jpeg
    E176890B-92E7-4EF3-B9CE-D78F9D2F2B8B.jpeg
    180.4 KB · Views: 16
Reactions: Laurent

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
I love it! Very ingenious. IMO the variables are almost endless. Different woods, different leathers or materials, and different rods could be available so there's something for everyone. My mind sees a high-end version with alligator leather, burl wood ends, and polished brass tubes, or even glass rods! It seems also that thinner, softer leathers might "cradle" the pipes and conform to shape easier... and easier to work with ... maybe. There is a plethora of types of woods you could use. Gromets are also available in different materials. The metal rods can also be tubes, and probably cheaper. There is brass, stainless steel, carbon fiber, and glass rods (and they come in different colors) to mention a few. Gosh I'd be up for days with all kinds of variations dancing in my head.
Wonderful, just wonderful! I wished I had thought of it! I'm so happy for you. Please show us all your variations as they are made.
One more thing. There is a leather tool you can buy that rounds over the sharp edges of thick cut leather, you might look into that.

Last edited:

Laurent

Lifer
Dec 25, 2021
Michigan
I love it! Very ingenious. IMO the variables are almost endless. Different woods, different leathers or materials, and different rods could be available so there's something for everyone. My mind sees a high-end version with alligator leather, burl wood ends, and polished brass tubes, or even glass rods! It seems also that thinner, softer leathers might "cradle" the pipes and conform to shape easier... and easier to work with ... maybe. There is a plethora of types of woods you could use. Gromets are also available in different materials. The metal rods can also be tubes, and probably cheaper. There is brass, stainless steel, carbon fiber, and glass rods (and they come in different colors) to mention a few. Gosh I'd be up for days with all kinds of variations dancing in my head.
Wonderful, just wonderful! I wished I had thought of it! I'm so happy for you. Please show us all your variations as they are made.
One more thing. There is a leather tool you can buy that rounds over the sharp edges of thick cut leather, you might look into that.
I do love the idea of alligator leather! And thank you for the kind words.

Reactions: scloyd and monty55

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Here’s a sneak peak at the next two, seeing you mentioned darker stain. These are not stained but they are burnt with a torch for color. They’re sealed with carnauba wax so they don’t smell. I love how white ash is effected by the flame View attachment 124711View attachment 124712
Not a fan of the burnt wood look. It reminds me of my high school wood shop in the 70's. We were all burning our projects with torches. I like the natural wood look. I also like the idea that @clynch mentioned, alternating leather rests.

Reactions: Laurent
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Obviously, this is purely subjective; I much prefer the smooth, light version, which has a certain grace. I find the heavy, exaggerated grooves visually distracting on these. But, variety is the spice of life and these will float someone's boat. I'd be curious to see a three tiered version with alternating/staggered loops, i.e., 7, 6, 7; I'm not sure if that would be prohibitively expensive.

Reactions: OzPiper and Laurent

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Loving it! Might I ask, is there any reason you couldn't replace the horizontal wood back support with another rod/tube? To give it an even more minimalist look?
One other thing. Do you own a router? I think if you rounded over the top, front and back of the two wooden ends that they might go well with the rounded aspect of the leather cradles. Just a thought.

Last edited:

Laurent

Lifer
Dec 25, 2021
Michigan
Loving it! Might I ask, is there any reason you couldn't replace the horizontal wood back support with another rod/tube? To give it an even more minimalist look?
One other thing. Do you own a router? I think if you rounded over the top, front and back of the two wooden ends that they might go well with the rounded aspect of the leather cradles. Just a thought.
I could put another rod in the back, I just did it this way in the beginning. I do have a router.