PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Laurent

Lifer
Dec 25, 2021
Michigan
Looks nice. I like the design. Simple & effective is often the way to go.

You live close enough to me Laurent, if you want to build an extra one and bring it down... well, I'd be more than happy to to check it out over a visit, a whiskey & a pipe. ;)
Sounds great!

Reactions: BROBS

Laurent

Lifer
Dec 25, 2021
Michigan
Make them without leather. How about folded canvas?
I’ll have to look into that.
Something came to mind as I was brushing my teeth earlier. Years ago, I used Fiebing's dye on some leather, and it did tend to rub off. I would have concerns about the dyed version staining my lighter or raw pipes. Would the loops be sealed with something after being dyed?
Yes they are sealed.

Reactions: BROBS

clynch

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2013
Pensacola Florida
Aesthetically, it's easy on the eyes. I do like the suggestion by @RalphiesDad about being able to open up one end. I have a number of pipes that vary in width within the same marque, or style, and shape; it would be nice to have the flexibility to add or remove a loop. Being able to sort by material, or country, or brand and be able to adjust the space between would be ideal.
Very clean and neat! If it had three rods you could open the end and alternate the holders back and forth. Almost double the capacity.

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
I love the design.

I also second the suggestion of possibly being able to detach a side and being able to add/remove loops as needed.

Or...

You could sell them modularly. For instance...

You could sell the wood portion in a few different colors, the loops in a few different materials/colors, and the metal rods in a couple of different lengths.

So a customer could buy the wood finish they like and the number and material of loops they want and the metal rods long enough to hold 7 pipes.

Then, as their collection grows, they could just purchase longer rods and additional loops to accommodate new pipes.

Even better if they were made so they could be stackable.

The aesthetic of these screams customization and improvisation to me, but of course, I'm not the one making them.

Laurent

Lifer
Dec 25, 2021
Michigan
I love the design.

I also second the suggestion of possibly being able to detach a side and being able to add/remove loops as needed.

Or...

You could sell the wood portion in a few different colors, the loops in a few different materials/colors, and the metal rods in a couple of different lengths.

So a customer could buy the wood finish they like and the number and material of loops they want and the metal rods long enough to hold 7 pipes.

Then, as their collection grows, they could just purchase longer rods and additional loops to accommodate new pipes.

The aesthetic of these screams customization and improvisation to me, but of course, I'm not the one making them.
Those are all great ideas and as I get going definitely one that should be looked into.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I built the rack to my own liking but seeing you pointed out not everyone is a fan of leather, I think having a alternative to leather is a great idea. Thank you.
Yes for sure. Not trying to be a dick or anything but I feel there is a larger demographic who will buy leather but also a good number of people who may be interested in an alternative. Especially if the canvas ended up being less expensive than leather.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I love the design.

Or...

Great ideas IMO

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
Those are all great ideas and as I get going definitely one that should be looked into.
That's one of the main reasons I haven't purchased any racks or such for my pipes. My collection ebbs and flows, and the ability to increase or decrease the capacity of the rack without having to purchase a brand new rack would be a huge plus for me.

Plus, just the repeat sales aspect of it could be beneficial. If a collector had the ability to increase their rack's capacity at will by just purchasing a few components, it could add another revenue stream in addition to people purchasing complete racks.

Again, I love the design, and please keep us updated. This could be right up my alley.

Good luck!

Reactions: BROBS and Laurent

Laurent

Lifer
Dec 25, 2021
Michigan
Yes for sure. Not trying to be a dick or anything but I feel there is a larger demographic who will buy leather but also a good number of people who may be interested in an alternative. Especially if the canvas ended up being less expensive than leather.
Absolutely not being a dick, I want all the opinions and criticisms, good and bad, it’s how things grow. Canvas would be a cheaper and easier on my hands. Right now, I’m hand cutting all the leather. If this takes off, a old company I worked for that makes die cutting tools, I’ll have them make me a press to cut them out instead.

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
So if the racks were, let’s say growable, at what length would be considered long enough?
I would think you could offer two different lengths of rods. A shorter one that would accommodate up to 7 loops, because people like their "7 day rotation", and another that would accommodate 10-12 loops.

After that, if the racks are stackable, then you could just grow "up" instead of out.

I would limit the selections for the lengths to just the two to cut down on what you would have to fabricate and carry at one time.

Of course you could always offer custom lengths for the people who have 9 pipes and never plan on getting more. But those people seem very rare in this hobby. LOL.

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
Your photos show mostly straight pipes. You might want to test your rack with full-curve pipes to see whether they will lean back enough to be stable. I agree with the suggestion of accommodating larger pipes but don't think leaving more space laterally will do the trick. Unless you offer longer slings, the larger pipes will end up sitting higher than pipes with smaller bowls. Having said that, the design is very elegant and functional.