PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Rock3r4life

Lurker
Apr 10, 2021
Illinois
Welcome.

I started way back when I was at university - mainly to get away from cigarettes.
"Cool" was definitely a factor back then. I thought tie-dyed ripped jeans were also cool back in those days. Thank goodness our tastes change. ?

I can only second MSO's advice in buying small quantities to try first. A lot of retailers (Boswells come to mind) offer sample tasting packs. Once you've decided what you like, then stock up. Just be mindful that not all blends necessarily improve with age. And unless you are very careful how you handle your tobacco, mould can be a problem, esp if you live in a high humidity region.
I enjoy the rlp-6, but I have no references. It's quite wholesome ad yummy, with a reasonable "kick"

Reactions: OzPiper

thedoc333

Might Stick Around
Mar 15, 2021
LA
When I read this I deliberately packed more lightly and it was not quite as good. It really comes down to experience, you need to know what you want and why you want it.
I never get the 'pack light' bit. Dense pack = dense cool smoke and more flavor. Just make sure the air can get through! Au point!

Rock3r4life

Lurker
Apr 10, 2021
Illinois
Be welcome,from Spain.....................
Lmao when I read that my fantastical mind imagined 2 guys smoking pipes dueling with rapiers. Oh how humans have devolved....
Hi. I don't understand your answer, friend...........I imagine he uses the translator like me.........?????............
This world has taken a wrong turn in our improvement I believe that honor and bravery are more important than living longer so I sadly enjoyed the fact the comment made me think of a duel. Make sense now?

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
@Rock3r4life

Kaz Walters 28 and wife Mary Walters 25, at the time of the photo in 2018. Not exactly and old looking bunch... rotf

And you’re thinking about young, we even have a young girl smoker too... :sher:

5112C33D-A1C6-4796-939E-AB898C65138D.jpeg

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
I'm in my late 30's, but my three pipe smoking buddies in my area are all between 29-33. If you look around on Instagram or Reddit, you'll see a lot of young guys picking up the pipe, usually to emulate their favorite movie and literary characters, writers, scientists, or philosophers. Some because of fond memories of a relative.
I first tried smoking a pipe in college -back in 2000- and wish I'd stuck with it, but I puffed too fast and aromatics burned my tongue. Didn't discover the pleasures of straight Va flakes, VaPers, and lovely latakia until about 17 years later..
Anyway. Welcome to PM forum! No where else I'd rather be...
Buncha grumpy old cusses, know-it-alls, know nothings, and blue-ribbon flashing pissing contest winners here, that can also occasionally double as knowledgeable, kind-hearted, friendly, helpful mentors and guides. Just beware of the ViciousVegetarians?, Burley-Breath Boomers?‍♂️, and the Pirates of Penzance? and you'll have a great time!?

Rock3r4life

Lurker
Apr 10, 2021
Illinois
Welcome. Just keep smoking mindfully and your pipes and tobaccos will teach you everything you need to know. There is a bit too much second hand "intelligence" out there as a result of the internet. Experience trumps opinions. Just keep smoking!
That is why I have little to no fear learning any new skill. I KNOW I will be good at it, just maybe have a few speed bumps to run over first. Ain't a thing but a chicken wing.