PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Rock3r4life

Lurker
Apr 10, 2021
Illinois
I have always had a fascination with pipes, but I literally don't know a sole that uses them (other than a few stoner friends, but that's not close) I've smoked for maybe 15 years, then started vaping and my lung capacity improved a lot. The more I look into tobacco I kinda want to just be a pipe guy, but l'm 29 (picture it more of an older guy sorta thing) and currently in hardcore newbie mode. I got a Holme's esq pipe, a very large amount of lane limited rlp-6 (did not correlate tobacco volume with ounces) and looking forward to learning this fun smoking method.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome aboard from central North Carolina. Starting out, you might want to sample various genres -- English blends, Balkan, Virginia and Virginia/Perique, burley, aromatic -- but keep the quantities small, one tin, an once or two of bulk, a pouch. Your taste will change a lot, so don't buy a quantity of anything, even if you really like it. Jar what you don't like to try again later as your taste develops. Take your time; don't do this all at once.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Welcome!

Please put your location in your Profile as people are forgetful.
Why:
That will save questions in the future as to where you live when you later mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc. In many instances that saves time for those who read your posts.
How:
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. Just country if you must.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Welcome to the site. Since you are new I am sure you will have many questions. Don't be afraid of asking, we all had questions to ask and this joint in my opinion answers questions from a newbie more than any other sites on the web. The knowledge that we have is pretty unreal. Some guys are truly the most knowledgeable people in the world on different subjects. Enjoy the journey.

Rock3r4life

Lurker
Apr 10, 2021
Illinois
Welcome to the site! Now that you've started on your pipe journey, you'll have to deal with the fact that (as the great Ric Flair said), women will want to be with you, and men will want to be like you.
Woo!
One can only hope. Only thing with smoking in front of lamen is the irregularity of pipe. Light a sig or pull put a vape and no one bars an eyelash; and of course the mobility of the pipe and tobacco. Another win for cigs.

Reactions: Jacob74

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Welcome.

I started way back when I was at university - mainly to get away from cigarettes.
"Cool" was definitely a factor back then. I thought tie-dyed ripped jeans were also cool back in those days. Thank goodness our tastes change. ?

I can only second MSO's advice in buying small quantities to try first. A lot of retailers (Boswells come to mind) offer sample tasting packs. Once you've decided what you like, then stock up. Just be mindful that not all blends necessarily improve with age. And unless you are very careful how you handle your tobacco, mould can be a problem, esp if you live in a high humidity region.

Reactions: Kottan and jpmcwjr