PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
My 80s is drilled the exact same way. It's not ideal, but it smokes great. That's just the way Peterson makes them.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
This is a Castello Bent Dublin (G) series and it looks pretty much the same as the Peterson.
Take a look below:View attachment 776
View attachment 776
View attachment 777
View attachment 778
I hope this works. First time posting any pics :)
Appreciate you posting this. Too many folks are too quick to leap to conclusions that Peterson pipes are often flawed when the truth of the matter may be altogether different So, those Pete bashers willing to bash Castellos now?

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I don't own a Peterson nor a Castello, but I as I was putting together my MacQueen pipe a moment ago, I took a look at the inside of the mortise... guess what? The hole is not dead centre either, but flush with the top of the hole's circumference! This pipe goes even further: the draught hole is an elbow inside the stummel: the hole goes downwards from the chamber, makes a hard, sharp-angled bend and then shoots upward towards the upper part of the mortise's lux. The pipe smokes alright.

Alas, some of us are too easily put off by whatever we find "non-conventional" and, at times, are too quickly to denounce it as a mistake and blacklist it.

My Vauens are also drilled in a similar manner–with the hole off centre and flush to either top or bottom (although these are drilled for a 9 mm filter):

These too smoke fine.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
My 2 cents: According to Pipedia Kinsale pipes are 'A Peterson sub-brand / second.' If that is not a mistake the drilling could correctly be too high. I must be misunderstanding Pipedia.

That would be bizarre, as the Kinsale line are shapes that aren't made in any other line, with the exception of the Sherlock Holmes line.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Speaks highly of the company and the future of its recent acquisition of Peterson for their top guys to post here on specific problems.

There's probably stuff in the pipeline that predates that date by years, but eventually it'll all work through the system.

Reactions: paulfg
Well, I smoked that Castello picture above for the first time last night, filling it halfway with some Lane 1Q and it took 1 light and smoked for an hour (remember it's a G size.. :) ) without a single hitch. It's a great smoker BUT I can't run a pipe cleaner through it. :) . No matter. I like to take my pipes apart after they cool down and thoroughly clean them after every use.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like my Petersons a lot and haven't had any problems. Still, you would think that the one advantage of factory pipes would be uniformity and quality control, since making them is repetitious. Since Smoking Pipes recently purchased Peterson, maybe their influence will be good.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
80% of my bent pipes did gurgle for some unknown reason and because of this today I only own one half bent bulldog from Savinelli(623)The Roma 673 was another great smoker and did not cause any gurgling issues ,The Peterson 80s and 2 of them system pipes were those most wetter smokers

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Alas, some of us are too easily put off by whatever we find "non-conventional" and, at times, are too quickly to denounce it as a mistake and blacklist it.

If a pipe smokes well, then by all means keep it and enjoy it even if the draught hole is not centered in the mortise.

However, that being said, I learned about this issue when trying to figure out why some of my pipes were wet gurglers and some were consistent dry smokers. To many of us, an uncentered draught hole is a practical issue, not a pet peeve. Now I have a lot of straight pipes in my collection, plus few bent pipes drilled to my liking, all of which are dry smokers. I generally prefer the look of bent pipes, but even above looks, I prefer a good smoke!

p40warhawk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2019
Guys:
I have well over 30 Petersons, many I bought from a wonderful local shop that happened to have about 15 new Petersons stuck in a drawer for years that the old owner forgot about. Some Sherlock Holmes, a Kinsale XL 30 and so forth. I can say that the quality of these pipes are exquisite and what a Peterson was meant to be. A few Sherlock Holmes are my favorite smokers. I usually get the new St. Patty Day Pipes except for 2018. Some of those, especially my 2017 XL102 are some of my nicest Pipes. However, as of late, I too have had some QC issues with Peterson and I can say that everytime, Smokingpipes.com has dealt with it immediately and to my satisfaction; EVERYTIME!! Its sad that a few past sour eggs could tarnish such a fine old brand. I have lots of Savinelli's too and I've never had anything but a perfect pipe from Savinelli. But, I guess they all have issues...
And Piper, I would have sent hat back...
Good luck!
Dan

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
p40, sending it back only to request another bent pipe no matter what factory made it seems to be impractical as Sykes appears to be right about how ubiquitous this sort of drilling is in factory pipes judging from the other examples posted in this thread. Can't expect the sales staff to closely examine 50 different pipes from 10 different manufacturers to find the 1 not drilled like that.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
it took 1 light and smoked for an hour
I wonder if the massive draught hole has something to do with it. ? I'd be afraid of smoking that: I believe tongue bite is directly proportional to the size of the draught hole. Then again, maybe I'm just going in the blacklisting due to ignorance direction.

To many of us, an uncentered draught hole is a practical issue, not a pet peeve.
Yes, I know that being able to pass a pipe cleaner is a big issue/must have on a pipe for some people. I don't do moisture control with pipe cleaners, but with filters, and so the ability to insert something all the way to the chamber isn't a deal breaker for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.