PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronzi83

Lurker
Aug 6, 2015
Hello from Slovenia,
i am Greg 32 y old and i am totally beginer in smoking with pipes. I am glad to be here and hope will learn fast how to smoke it. As bigesst problem i have with getting tobacco in Slovenia. There are mayn cigarete and others, but for pipe tobacco there is no market. Only SAIL black i manage to get, so this is my 1st tobbaco and i got one cheap brog pipe.
Regards
Greg

jaydublin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 11, 2015
Hello from Maryland!
I am 51, and very much a newbie to any type of smoking. Dabbled lightly a couple years ago with a couple of Peterson's aromatics (CC and DeLuxe) and then sort of jumped in with both feet this past spring. I've begun working through some of the most highly rated tinned tobaccos and so far I'm really enjoying both English blends and straight VAs. Couldn't say which I like more.
I was attracted to pipe smoking as a way of relaxing and experiencing something new. Very much reminds me of the fun I've had experiencing different food, wines and beers. And as I have a secluded garden that I've worked on for many years, pipe smoking next to a small fountain in the shade has become a daily event in the early morning before I begin work, and a great way to wind down in the evening.
Thank you all for your expertise and for sharing your experiences - I'm enjoying the learning as much as anything! Hopefully I'll be able to contribute something through my own experiences.
Jay

mrkeys

Lurker
Aug 16, 2015
Hi all,
I'm 22 and from the UK. Never really smoked before (I'm not a big fan the smell of cigarettes around me let alone the taste) but decided to try the pipe a couple of years ago and liked it. Gave it a rest when I moved home after university but have been relaxing with a bowl in the evening for the last month or so.
I've been experimenting with different tobaccos whilst relying on a couple of aromatics for a safe bet. I find that a lot of the highly regarded tobaccos that sound like they would suit me are unavailable in the UK unless they are shipped in bulk, so it's been a bit of trial and error.

I typically smoke cobs and have a bent bulldog/rhodesian? (who knows) Peterson I really like. I've set myself a budget to build more of a collection but this, as unfortunately so many things do, will require patience.
I'm mainly on this site to tap into the expertise of some of the more experienced members, but I hope I'll be able to contribute something soon!
Best wishes,
mrkeys

skulltula

Lurker
Aug 17, 2015
Hello there.
I've been a lurker here for a few weeks and finally signed up today. It seems that this is the place where some highly experienced, long-term pipers can shed light on those questions for us newer pipers. I'm going to give an introduction to explain my recent interest in pipes.
I'm 30 and, although I did smoke a pipe for a couple of weeks in the Navy, only recently started a pipe journey some time in June. This was the month of both my fiance's and my anniversary, and Father's Day. She decided that a combination present for both days was in order, and when we went to a local antiques shop, what to my surprise should appear but a long meerschaum pipe! My obvious reaction made her purchase it later that day when I went to work, and presented it to me on our anniversary.
The shop keeper stated that it was broken, which is why the price tag was less than $50 US. When I looked at it, I discovered that one of the extensions was loose, and all it took was a tiny bit of teflon tape to put it into good working order. This would have been the day I started, which was either the 21st or the 22nd of June.
I left to grab some pipe tobacco from the local smoke store, and the first thing I saw was a red and green pouch. I bought it. It was Half & Half! So I took to loading it in accordance with instructions online into my new / old meerschaum pipe. I still keep Half & Half in my storage container and plan to buy some bulk soon.
Anyhow, that's kind of the story behind my starting pipes. I have had plenty of cigars, and I had quit cigarettes January 8, 2012. I must say, this is not as addicting as cigarettes, but I never had fun with cigarettes, either. Pipes and cigars? So many blends out there!
Since then, I have taken to searching locally for more pipes. Until I purchased the last MM, a local tobacco store carried corn cobs. A local drug store still carries MM Legends, so I have at least three cobs. I favor my meerschaums (one is a Dublin-shaped Kaywoodie, according to the stamp on the stem; and the other is an unmarked meerschaum with an apple shape. Both are straight), but I'm also very much a big fan of my estate-purchased briar pipes (particularly because I enjoy large chambers due to their large capacity). Every once in a while, I'll have my small pipes, but I always have a meerschaum being used at least once a day.
I'm a light smoker, probably 3 or 4 bowls a day. But because they're in large pipes, that might equate to 5 or 6 small and / or medium bowls. But I'm not here for science! I'm here for the same reason each of you are-- to share my interest in a hobby which is generations old, with people who have experienced the great, the mediocre, and the McDonald's of tobaccos, in the great, the mediocre, and the McDonald's of pipes, for us newbies to file through!
This is a very long post, and for this I apologize. But details are everything to me. I must state my favorite tobaccos as being Five Brothers, Picayune, G&H Dark Flake Unscented, Haunted Bookshop, and C&D Big & Burley. I absolutely enjoy Half and Half (I mentioned this), but Prince Albert is "okay" for me. 4 Aces is good to fall back on when I've run out of my favorite blends. I have a lot (3.5+ ounces) of Pirate Kake (which taught me quickly to obtain samples of something before making a large-volume order for something I've never before tried). SWR is also fine for a morning ritual with coffee.
Wow. This post has gone on long enough. If you have any further questions regarding my stash, favorite blends, or pipe collection, feel free to PM me (as soon as I figure out how to actually browse the site, which shouldn't take long). And finally,
Greetings to all.
EDIT*

I realize my user name might be foreign to some, but I'm a fan of playing Nintendo games. My uncle taught me how to play Legend of Zelda, and some time later I played Ocarina of Time. My user name comes from a particular enemy with a particularly awesome name, found throughout a good portion of OOT.

smokinfireman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2015
Hello from Arkansas. I am an emt/fireman for my town's fire rescue and EMS. Been enjoying my pipes for a while now as a former cigar smoker. Don't miss cigars at all. Pipe man all the way now! Glad to be on the boards here. Looking forward to "blowi'n smoke" with everyone. Keep your tobacco dry and your head above water

klf007

Lurker
Aug 2, 2015
Hello, I'm KLF, from Israel, 40yrs old male. I started pipe smoking couple of weeks before, coming from cigars which I started a year before. Took it up after reading some cigar and pipes discussions on traditional wetshaving forums. I didn't smoke cigarettes before and I quite enjoy all the rituals. So far I tried Captain Black white pouch and Dunhill EMP which gave quite a nicotine rush since I smoke it too quickly :) I don't have many pipe tobacco choices in Israel, that's for sure. I'm reading a lot about vintage Israeli pipes, until now I didn't ever saw one of them in all the second-hand stores I managed to visit.

Thanks for all the information you share here.
Can I read this forum on TapaTalk ?

newfie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2015
Shearstown, NL
Hi folks. Please allow me to introduce myself!
I'm Jamie from Newfoundland, Canada. I'm 55 years old, married for 36 years, father of 1, grand-dad to one little girl. Hobbies include music, wet shaving and premium coffee. (In my house I have 3 grinders, an Espresso machine, a Yama vac pot, 2 French presses, 2 Moka pots and an Aeropress, plus a Behmor roaster to home roast my beans.)
I smoked ciggys for longer than I want to admit, started on cigars on our first Cuba trip in '03 and first pipe in August '04 (I think). So, for quite a while I was using all forms of tobacco including snuff when travelling on business in planes, etc, when I couldn't smoke. So you can only imagine how strong my nicotine addiction was. (Note here I'm Canadian but was in the States on business sometimes 3 weeks a month, so access to tobacco at respectable prices wasn't an issue.) Several times I tried to quit cigs, but to no avail, moods and temper wouldn't allow me. So a while ago, I tried the patch AND Zyban together and it worked. Off tobacco of all kinds for a significant amount of time.
Fast forward to a few weeks ago and my stock of cigars (~ 4-500 sticks, mostly premiums; Cubans, Dominicans and Nicaraguans), and my cellar of ~ 10-15 lbs of pipe tobacco finally started calling to me, no, screaming at me as it had been calling since I quit. Trust me when I say I wondered if I was ready to start enjoying cigars and pipes again without going back to ciggys. Well, I believe I can say now I believe I've successfully kicked that habit. Now I'll have a bowl or 2 a day and maybe a short stick, all easy since I have close to an hour drive back and forth to work, plus relaxing. A longer on days off or if time permits on a work day.
So, favourite blends - Hard to say right now because tastes and preferences have changed with the elimination of constant dead sense of taste and tobacco in my mouth, nasal passages and lungs from a pack + a day. PS Luxury Bullseye Flake, which was always "Meeeehhhhhhh" for me now sings in anything I smoke it in. But strong floral Lakelands (Conniston Cut Plug, which I LOVED) are just a shock to my senses now, and I have to learn to like again or admit defeat. Now I see I have to learn my likes and preferences all over again with both pipes and cigars.
Now, I will admit that the years while my tobacco was sitting patiently in the dark, aging, it's been improving for the most part, so things have changed and evolved. A couple of days ago I had a Fuente King B that has many years on it and bloom was quite obvious on the wrapper. Simply divine!!!!! I had some flakes of BCF and FVF that are pock marked with what I believe are sugar crystals. Note much of this tobacco is now 8+ years in age. Haven't bought much since 2007.
Anyway, this intro is long enough. Thanks for having me.

juanruiz

Lurker
Aug 19, 2015
¡Hola a todos! I retired a year ago after 40 years of university teaching, and relocated from the cold upper Midwest to Virginia. Began smoking a pipe in 1970 and continued collecting until the mid-80s when I quit and packed everything away. I went back to the pipe when I arrived here. My collection numbers about 40, mainly Savinellis and Danish freehands. My tobacco of choice is a Balkan blend with a high percentage of latakia. My tastes in music are eclectic, from Gregorian Chant to Billy Idol. I also enjoy reading literature, history,

and the development of religions.

manofkent

Lurker
Jul 1, 2013
Good Day, my name is Neil and like Juanruiz above, I first started smoking a pipe in 1970 when I started University in Wales. I moved from London to Toronto in 1982 and continued to develop my pipe collection. Entered the Winston and Holmes (a late lamented Toronto tobacconist) pipe competition, winning at my first attempt in1989. Participants were given a Stanwell pipe, tobacco, matches and pipe tool , given one minute to get the pipe going and then matches were withdrawn and, the last pipe going was the winner. My prize was a pewter tankard in which I like to drink a wider range of local craft ales. I entered again and also won, this time a pewter flask in which I like to fill with a single malt scotch. My third attempt , I came fourth and then retired. I had thought of turning professional, but the offers never came, so I persisted in my profession of banking! From which I escaped in 2000 and entered the world of self employment. Love a good book (mysteries and history), a glass of something tasty ( wine and the aforementioned libations) and of course a bowl of tobacco in one of my favourite pipes. Sadly i gave up smoking a few years ago and gave away some of my pipes, but happily took up the craft again and thankfully still have a number of du hills, charatans and petersons to put to use. My all time favourite pipe is a Sullivan Powell, originally a green briar, from their shop in Burlington Arcade, London. It was a present from my father, who ever gratefully, introduced me to the pleasures of pipe-smoking, he also gave me a four ounce tin of Gentleman's Mixture. Wonderful stuff, if the memory serves right; but then memory is employed a lot when it comes to the tobaccos that have disappeared, the one I miss the most is Galleher's Rich Dark Honeydew! My staple for many years. Happy smoking!

mikali

Lurker
Mar 30, 2015
Hi,
I'm a Belgian pipe smoker for about 4 years now.

After being a member on the Dutch Pipe Smokers forum for all that time I figured it was time to go international :mrgreen:
I started pipe smoking after meeting a senior man in a wheelchair at Ikea who smoked a pipe, which at the time smelled heavenly.

And 3 days later I bought a Butz Choquin and a flame jet lighter (Oh my that was a mistake).

Now after a couple of years it is clear I very much like the work of Danish pipe maker Poul Winslow.

Nowadays I almost exclusively buy new pipes of his.
I also own a lot of Petersons and several others brands and handmade's.
My favorite tobacco are VA, VaPer, and heavy aromatics. Once a week I throw in a latakia pipe.
That's it in a nutshell. Hope to read and post a lot here as well.

theredstrat

Lurker
Aug 21, 2015
Richmond, VA
Hello all. My name is Jon and I'm from Richmond Virginia. just got back into my pipes after a several year hiatus. I smoke a little bit of everything and have a couple Savinellis, a couple old crappy Grabows, and a Viking Classic.Would love to catch up with other Richmonders and have a smoke some time

dude

Might Stick Around
Aug 21, 2015
Minnesota,
Hey,

I am 44 and live in Minnesota. I have been smoking pipes off and on for 15 years but I have been more serious about it the last couple years.

I have already learned alot from the discussion here and wanted to thank you for providing such an interesting and inviting site.

cappadoc

Lurker
Aug 23, 2015
Another noob here.

Been piping for just over a year and I've gone totally overboard.

I am up to about 35-40 pipes and 30 pounds in the cellar.

I like most style other than aros. Burley, VaPer, Balkan, English, Orientals, Dark fired are all good.
Hope to learn here and get to know y'all.

marksie

Lurker
Aug 26, 2015
Hello my name is Paul. 19 years old been smoking a pipe since I was 18. I love heavy blends like GH Dark Flake Unscented. I live in Minnesota so the taxes are crazy so I buy mostly online. Have around 6-8 pounds of tobacco in the cellar. Looking to connect to fellow pipe smokers.

gabriel

Lurker
Oct 16, 2014
Hello everyone!
New to the forum, I have been enjoying a pipe for a while now. I am also a big cigar enthusiast. Looking forward to checking out the site!
Gabriel

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
It's time that I reintroduce myself.
My name is Mike Smith but on this forum and others my ID is 4nogginsmike. 4noggins is as many of you know one of the biggest online pipe and pipe tobacco stores. Its sole owner is Mr. Richard Gottlieb. For two years he has paid me to post on the forums both as a general member and a traveling salesperson only by the inclusion of his business name in my ID. I have no other function within either the day-to-day operation or management of his business.
One member said that I had "inside knowledge" of the pipe and tobacco business, but that is not the case. What is true is that I've spent many, many hours reading and posting to forums. What I know comes from doing this and what at this point amounts to extensive research of all things pipes related, and a good bit of cigar study as well.
I appreciate earning money posting to forums, in effect doing what I did for years for pleasure for gain.
I do not promote 4noggins in any way than the above.

orobusto

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2015
New York
Hello everyone,

After lurking for a couple of months, I have decided to join the forum. I live in upstate New York and have been a cigar smoker for close to 20 years and an on and off pipe smoker for 12 or so with my pipes getting more attention in the past few months. I'm looking forward to learning from the group.

vink

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2015
Longueuil, Quebec
Hi,
My name is Vincent and I'm from Montreal, Canada. Been a cigar smoker for 4 years and a pipe smoker for 3. Recently I've been getting more and more into pipes, so I thought it could be a good idea to join this pipe forum!

oldrob

Lurker
Aug 31, 2015
Hello,
Name is Robby. Engineer and a pretty decent Tool Maker if I do say so myself. Started smoking a pipe again about a year ago. Used to play around with it many years ago. Quit cigarettes about 6 years ago... kicking myself in the ass for not picking the pipe sooner :) Looking forward to getting to know everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.