PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beewrangler2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 29, 2012
Hello All,

Long time pipesmoker here,been smoking pipes now since 1982. My love for pipes, and I think my earliest recollection of pipe smokers took place in elementary school. The genteman that delivered the school's milk was a pipe smoker, and it seemed like on every delivery, he would cart milk with his hand truck, and have that well worn pipe hanging from his mouth and the aroma would waft through the school building. ( You gotta remember this was around 1970 or so) You talk about a smell based memory, it sure does take me back. I guess pipe smoking fits my persona, as I am also a side-line beekeeper and we have a saying that beekeepers are a slow and deliberate lot, and I think it marries well with pipe smoking and vice versa. I enjoy mainly English blends (although the better half likes me more when I am puffing on some autumn evening or Pipe Works and Wilke Maple Cavendish). I have a soft spot for Danish Freehands, and enjoy most of my smoke thru a Nording, Bjarne or Ben Wade. But that's not to say I haven't been eyeing some of our domestic free hand artists. Planning a road trip to Boswell's this summer and enjoy taking Amtrak (another vice) from here in mid-Michigan to Chicago for my annual visit to Iwan Ries's. I am enjoying the fine reading on here as well as the articles on the home page.

Watch your top knot,

Bill

morse

Lurker
Feb 29, 2012
Hi All,
I've been reading this forum for a a month or so but realized that I had never really introduced myself. I am relatively new to pipe smoking - about 9 months or so. I tried a couple of times in college but never really got the hang of it. Intent on producing those huge plumes of smoke I thought were the object of the exercise, I just ended up burning my tongue and eventually gave up. This time around, I am having much better luck. I have a small collection of briars (7) and 1 recently purchased IMP meer (a revelation I have to say) and while I still prefer aromatics have made the occasional foray in to VaPers and Orientals.
Anyhow I am looking forward to getting to know everyone - I think I see some familiar faces already.
Cheers
Morse

bubblehead33

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 17, 2012
Canada
welcome to you all! im still new here myself but i gotta say that everyone is friendly and will help you with any questions you have, just ask. this site is great!

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
Good day gents, long time pipe smoker been lurking for a month reading posts and thought it was time I jumped in.

slowpuffer

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2012
Hello everyone. Thought I'd go ahead and register as I just found this site and am very impressed by the forums. I've been a pipe smoker for over seven years and there isn't anything I enjoy more than a briar bowl full of fine tobacco. I look forward to hanging out in this community!

jp12

Might Stick Around
Apr 10, 2012
Hi all. As many before me have said, I've been reading the forum for a while and figured it was time to join up and maybe even contribute to the discussions. Cheers!

nfein419

Lurker
Apr 9, 2012
Spring Lake/ Fort Bragg NC
Well after lurking about for a week now slowly reading up on the questions I have it seemed proper to sign up and to contribute where I can.
New to pipe smoking, only about year into this hobby.....lifestyle.... addiction(?!). Certainly still trying to find my own way of doing things, I am very much appreciating all the posts that deal with beginner tips and I will no doubt find myself asking some questions as things progress.
I look forward to getting to know you folks as time progresses.
-Nathan

knightmare

Lurker
Apr 10, 2012
Howdy Everyone!
I've been smoking my pipe for a few years now on and off, but I never really looked for online communities and what not. I was inspired to look for places to buy tobacco online and I found pipes magazine. A great collection of information, reviews and everything in between.

spiker

Lurker
Apr 12, 2012
Hello everyone. Relatively new to the experience, bought my first pipe about 6 months ago. A nice (IMO) Italian H.I.S. briar that I found at a pipe shop in Nashville IN. I messed around with a pipe around ten years ago but gave it up quickly. Now 40 years old and much more patient, I really enjoy an evening smoke sitting on the patio 2-3 times a week. Found the site looking for tips and tricks of the trade and immediately noticed both the camaraderie and the willingness to help out the "new guys" in the posts in the forums. I just purchased a used copy of The Ultimate Pipe Book, and coupled with the knowledge I hope to glean from all the old pros here, I'm looking forward to enjoying my new gentleman's pastime. Thanking all in advance.

goalee1

Might Stick Around
Jan 21, 2012
Greetings all. Signed up a little while ago and realized I've never introduced myself. I'm Tak originally from Chitown, now in DC. Long time cigar smoker(25+years). One of the FOGs from Cigarfamily. I'm basically brand new to pipes and pipe tobacco so this place has been a great place to learn. There are pipe threads on a few cigar forums I'm regular on but nothing really in detail and its really sporadic. I can see that this hobby is very similar to cigars in that there is a genuine brotherhood, always a lot to learn and of course the ongoing acquisition of tobacco and pipes-this may be really bad for me as cigars were hard enough. Being a chef, I don't' have a ton of free time so my free time is taken up with working out and cigars-now pipes as well. Being new to the game, I've tried a couple of house blends from my B&M in DC. I definitely prefer non aromatics with pretty straight forward tobacco blends, probably being a cigar smoker, though that can always change lol. Getting more into pipes started recently when I fell in love with a Ser Jacopo delecta with a rustic finish. I also have a couple of Savinelli's, an academia 628 and a miele 677. Looking forward to hopping on the train and see where it takes me. G1

scottbtdmb

Can't Leave
Apr 14, 2012
Hi fellow "brothers",

Just wanted to introduce myself as this is my first day on this wonderful site. My name is Scott, I am 31 years old, and hail from Maryland. I have been smoking a pipe for just over three years and thoroughly enjoy the peace, relaxation, camaraderie, and brotherhood that this hobby affords. In the way of pipes, I collect old GBD's, Caminettos, Castellos, Estellas, and some of the modern Italian pipes (Radice, Posella, Ardor, etc). I primarily smoke English and Virginia based blends and some of my favorites include Samuel Gawith Full Va Flake, Gawith&Hoggarth Dark Bird's Eye, Gawith&Hoggarth Coniston Cut Plug, Hearth&Home Larry's Blend, Gawith&Hoggarth Balkan Mixture, Sherlock Holmes' VR Blend, Solani Aged Burley Flake, and many many more!!! Currently, I belong to two pipe clubs, one of which is the Chesapeake Pipe Club out of Baltimore and the other is The Harford County Pipe Club which I am the president of. I am also on several other online forums, including Brothers of the Briar, Smoker's Forum, alt.pipes, and now this one. I look forward to seeing familiar faces from the other boards, as well as meeting lots of new folks (that is why I join as many forums as possible!)
Take care,

Scott
P.S. I loaded pics of my collection which can be found here: http://pipesmagazine.com/members/scottbtdmb/album

bakerbrett741

Lurker
Apr 15, 2012
I just purchased 2 vintage briar pipes from e bay. I am 30 and have been making my own cigarettes with a top machine and tubes. Why not try a pipe. I purchased Blender's Gold Toasted Cavendish. I can't wait untill the pipes arrive this week so I can give it a try. The pipes at the lower end tobacco store looked terrible. The stems looked like they were glued in place and would fall appart, that is why I desided to purchase a vintage pipe from e bay. Any types of tobacco that I should try (im on a fixed income remember)? I don't think that the tobacco store in my town carries flake.

kyletheaviator

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2012
Hey all,

I've been tearing through the wealth of knowledge here on the forums for a few months now, and to finally decided to join! I

20 years old, I got my first pipe in September of last year and I've been going strong since.

I guess i started because I've always loved the prestige and sophistication that pipe smokers have. It's an art, not just a fix like cigarettes.
Anyhow I look forward to chatting with all of you in the future!
-Kyle

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
Hello all,
Just joining this evening and have been reading some of the topics.

I am Canadian but don't hold that against me ;-).

I have several pipes I use on a regular basis, briar's and cobs.

My go to combo when I want to sit back and reflect on the days events is Captain Black in a Cob.
Barkar

mistershearer

Lurker
Apr 17, 2012
I'm a 28 year old American who has been living and working in the South Korean countryside for three years. Though I first tried pipes several years ago, I did not get seriously into the hobby until last summer, when I happened upon a pipe shop while on vacation in Belgium. I now have a sizable collection (about 26 pipes in my possession as of right now) and am a member of the Seoul pipe community.
Having followed Pipes Magazine for some time, I finally joined it, because I have spent a little over six months waiting on my MacQueen pipes, dealing with that company's horrendous customer service, and I feel the need to get the word out.

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Hey everyone my name is Francis. I am entirely new to pipe smoking but it's not my first time smoking anything. I'm freshly 18 but I've been smoking cigarettes for a long time along with other things. After drug abuse issues, I decide the only bad habit I had to rid myself of was cigarettes. Pipe smoking seemed interesting and pretty damn sophisticated and best of all I DON'T HAVE TO INHALE! To be honest I don't know much about pipes and I'm stil trying to learn more through many websites. I was lucky enough to stumble upon this community and I'm hoping it will help me grow as a pipe smoker and enjoy it more. I would hate for my lack of knowledge to keep me from continuing the art. This community will most likely be my main source of interaction with pipe smokers as I am friends with only one other user and our local tobacco shoppe is usually filled with cigarette and cigar smokers. I feel as it pipes are a dead art where I'm from.

As of right now I only have a cheap plastic pipe that was $20 from the tobacco shoppe, and although it probably doesn't provide the best smoke it will hold my over until some of my briar woods come in online (I don't really like the selection of wood pipes my tobacco shopper has to offer). I'll post more pictures of my collection as it grows and hopefully I'll meet some great people along the way. Don't let me get discouraged if I find it hard to get used to! Keep encouraging me to stick with it! I really want the pipe to replace cigarettes and I sure as hell don't want to leave tobacco behind as it is really enjoyable.

With that I bid you all farewell for now but I'll be online a lot tryin to learn more about pipes!

carlosviet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 23, 2012
Hi, I am Carlos; from Spain, but living in Vietnam. I have been living in different countries for the past 10 years, smoking cigars mostly and pipes and nargile occasionally. Although in Vietnam pipe tobacco and pipe smoking is almost non existent, I discovered in the antiquities shop many super-cheap Dunhill pipes from the Indochina times so I loaded myself with pipe tobacco that I keep in the wine cellar and after restoring the Dunhills I became a full time pipe smoker, adding usually a pipe as souvenir and half kilo pipe tobacco in every trip I make.
I don't care much about the pipe brand or material, but I have a really strong preference for billiard shaped ones as light as possible. My ideal pipe is a billiard, 19-20mm bowl diameter, and less than 30g. So far, only the Dunhills have been able to fulfill it.
One of the things I love from pipe smoking coming from cigars, is its hobby element. I can't resist buying any tamper, poach, pipe rack, lighter or anything that come to my sight.
I smoke 4 bowls a day, always with a drink (coffee, tea, beer, wine, or spirits), and I like to play trying to match the tobacco to the drink. As a sommelier, I find that matchmaking of the right tobacco to the right drink fascinating. Because of that, I switch from aromatics to plain tobacco flakes easily.
Hope to read you around.

fubar

Lurker
Apr 14, 2012
Servus (helo) to everyone!
I'm Alex from Germany (Franconia) and I started smoking pipes by end of 2010. Am smoking pipes just occasionally (once or twice a week) but I really love it.

Please accept my apologies for having such bad language skills but this community could of course help me improving them.
Would love to make many friends here :)
Best,

Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.