PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

roberts

Lurker
Apr 26, 2012
Hello, I'm Robert. I don't normally sign up for this sort of thing, but I saw that Albert Einstein was missing from the historic pipe smokers, and this was a day after I completed a pencil drawing of the guy holding a pipe, so I thought I would sign up and mention it.
I first tried smoking a pipe years ago, but was probably too young to sit still that long. My grandfathers and pops all smoked, all are gone now and I think I had to reach a certain point of maturity before I could take it up.
I find it interesting that the styles I am drawn to have changed. Then I wanted smooth and straight pipes. Now I'm much more interested in the rusticated and sandblast finishes, especially with organic looking bowls - the prince, apple, tomato, egg and brandy shapes all catch my eye. If I recall I leaned towards the virginia and mild spectrum of tobaccos. Maybe that's changed too. Pouring through the designs, looking for tools to get away from the cigs, curious to consider making my own pipe at some point.
They say that Western culture doesn't know much about having a contemplative life, but I think the pipe is a good example to the contrary.
R.

checotah

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2012
Howdy, y'all. Don't have a lot to tell. Started smoking a pipe in my freshman year of college, been at it off and on for almost 50 years. First tobacco was Cherry Blend, 'cuz the girls all loved the aroma. After about 3 months, it became way too sweet for me, changed over to the Burley and Burley/Virginia blends: Edgeworth, Sir Walter Raleigh, occasionally Half & Half. Those were the main-stream pipe tobaccos of the day. Experimented with some Cavendish, (and other stuff, did inhale, unlike one of our recent Presidents), but kept returning to the Burleys. Early 80's stumbled across an English mixture at a Tender Box store, and been smoking English/Balkan/Latikia blends ever since. Keep some Carter Hall and My Own Blend around for the occasional step back into the Burley.
As far as pipes, prefer the bents to the straights at this point, although I went through a lot of bits on several of my straights back when I smoked in the office (many years ago, when Bilbo was still a kid).
Joined a couple months back, but am not much to post, so this is a foray outside the norm.

ruraldean

Might Stick Around
Apr 27, 2012
Hi
I'm Paul, signing in from Bristol, England.
I'm ruraldean just about everywhere in the pipe world and I moderate over at tampandpuff.com. I started smoking about 11 years ago, love all tobaccos except cherry aros, and own around 50 pipes, all low to mid range (I sold my only Dunhill).
I run my own copywriting and web development business and work from a purpose built home office. Commuting is therefore a breeze.
I'm looking forward to contributing where I can, and meeting new pipe-smoking friends.

ozymandias

Might Stick Around
Apr 27, 2012
Hello, All! My name is Ian! I turned 18 on the Ninth, and wish to take up pipe smoking! I have frequented /r/pipetobacco on reddit for quite a while when I found you guys, and thought that I may be able to learn even more here!
I plan on ordering my first two pipes soon, (As soon as my blasted Debt card arrives! It is a week late!) they will be a MM Missouri Pride, and either a Jobey Stromboli F63 Estate from the 1970s', (The Cheaper option!) or an Estate Savinelli Nonpareil, Shape 9614! (The Better looking, yet a bit more expensive option.)
I hope to learn a lot from you guys!
P.S. Sorry for the poor formatting, it has been a Long time since I have been on a proper forum.

smokinjones

Lurker
Apr 27, 2012
Chicago
Hello All,
My name is Paul and I'm new to the pipe community. I'm 40 and live in the SW suburbs of Chicago. My first pipe is a Savinelli Trevi. I'm here to check things out and learn ALOT! :puffy:

nick502

Lurker
Apr 28, 2012
Louisville KY
Hello guys!
Name is Nick and I have been smoking for a little over 3 years. Love the hobby and friendships it has cultivated. I have been in the Youtube community for a while and just decided to join here after joining my local club, the Kentuckiana Pipe Smokers.

porthos

Lurker
Apr 30, 2012
Hi all! I'm Jason, currently living in NE Ohio. Father of 6, husband of 1. I've smoked a pipe on and off for the last 20 years. Yes, that made me a young pipe smoker, but when you lean a little to the eccentric you can get away with it no matter the age!

derrick

Lurker
Apr 30, 2012
Wasaga Beach, Ontario Canada
Good Evening Ladies and gentlemen.
New to the site and to pipes in general. So new in fact I am awaiting my starter pipe from 4noggins to arrive anyday now. I have been fond of the aroma of pipes since my childhood when my grandfather and his brothers all smoked pipes. Just never managed to work up the nerve to try it for myself, probably as up untill the last few years "Pipe Smokers" were old men. Maybe it is at 45 I am now an old man and appreciate certain things in life a little more (Jazz, Blues, Scotch etc.). About 18 months ago I started to shave with a Straight Razor and was surprised by the number of individuals in that community that all smoke a pipe. That more or less opened the door for me to start another Aquisition Disorder. I seem to have my Razor Aquisitions under control and only keep the ones that I use/enjoy so I hope I cna show the same restraint with pipes and Tobacco.
I live about 2 hours North of Toronto so the ability to get product is not the best. As I ssaid I ordered the Savinelli starter set from 4noggins with 2 oz of Carter Hall and 2 oz of a 4Noggins blend. They guys in the shaving world all warned me off Captain Black but I have heard some other people say it is not so bad for what it is. So I went to the local smoke shop/Corner store and picked up a pack of it as well. Even if it smokes like crap it is the best smelling Pot Pourie for my office.
Well that is the long and the short of it and was just looking for an active community of like minded people.
Derrick

ellie

Lurker
May 3, 2012
I was born in Texas, grew up in Scotland and Georgia, lived in Pacific NW, then landed here in sunny Florida. I appreciated the aroma of pipe smoke for a long time before trying it, myself. Daddy, intermittent pipe smoker, said the real trick is to find a tobacco that doesn't smell like there's a brush fire in the back room AND that doesn't burn your taste buds clean off. After sampling a dozen or so (thanks to a kindly tobacconist), I settled on a black cavendish aromatic and stuck with it for years. I have sampled many since those early days, but come back to the old favorite every time. For years I enjoyed the rituals of brewing a pot of tea and smoking a bowl while rocking and watching the birds descend my the freshly stocked feeder. Cares melted and blood pressure simmered down pleasantly. When I was a sailmaker, my tool pouch had special pockets for tobacco and tools in addition to obligatory scissors, etc. Imagine a blonde gal with long braid & deck shoes year 'round, wrangling sails for maxi yachts while smoking a pipe. What a life that was!

dustylungs

Lurker
May 4, 2012
Hi All
Have just signed up to be a member after using this site as an invaluable resource in getting me into the world of pipe smoking over the last year or so. I took up pipe smoking about a year ago after quitting the cigs the previous year. Ive grown to love pipe smoking and all the geekery that surrounds it :) (i could spend hours each day reading about tobaccoes and pipes i want to aquire!), These forums seem such an amiable place where likeminded chaps (and chapettes) shoot the breeze, and i would love to be a part of it.
My current favorite pipe/tobbaco combo is Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls in a Parker xlarge full bent!

mountainman

Can't Leave
May 4, 2012
Hi all, I am a new member from North Texas.Nothing i enjoy much more in this world than sitting out on my back porch and puffing away while my thoughts wander. I have been a frequent reader of this forum and figured it was time to make the leap into being a member.

edlogic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2012
jacksonville florida
Welcome all new forum members and pipe smoking peoples of the earth - we wish you peace joy and happiness in every puff . May all your tobaccos be tasty smokey okey dokey .

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Hello fellow pipers. My name is Wayne Teipen. I live in Cloverdale, Indiana. I started pipe smoking in 2007 and my progression is not unfamiliar to many; it skyrocketed from there. My favorite tobaccos are Virginia's and VaPer's; especially red ribbon cut and stoved flakes. And I must confess a liking to Reiner's Professional which is always in the rotation. My life has been infinitely improved since taking up the hobby.
I joined this forum because it's, in my experience, the number one site for breaking news and articles related to our hobby. I look forward to future discussions about pipes and tobaccos and building new freindships.

lazydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
hey fellow puffers, i'm really enjoying this site. Down here in S.E. Arizona about 3 miles from old Mexico. Fave tobaccos are VaPers and English blends. I'm up to about 90 beautiful briars but think I have my PAD under control. The only pipes left to get are a few more Cobs. This site is really informative and everyone seems to really enjoy this great pastime and hobby to the max. Well,just wanted to mention that for all you VaPer smokers I find that Prairie Wind from 4 noggins is one of the best. Happy puffin, see ya on the forums :wink:

pipemama

Lurker
May 8, 2012
Hello from Ohio. I started smoking in the early 70's. My first husband introduced me to the pipe, his hobby, and my current husband is both a pipe and cigar smoker. I love gardening, photography and traveling, especially if my pipe is along.
This is a great place with lots of good information and thought it would be nice to join.

Status
Not open for further replies.