PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
Hello again,
I have been gone for a few months and just wanted to reacquaint myself; I figured this would be the best place to do so. For all the new members since I've been gone, Hi. I have been smoking for almost 10 years now, since I was 18. I like all kinds of tobaccos, but I tend to prefer strong English blends. As some of may remember I had a baby 7 months ago and she is keeping me pretty busy. I hope to be more active as possible, but we'll see how that goes. Wee you on the forums.

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
Hello to everyone! I'm new to pipes. I have been a cigar smoker for years. I have one pipe, Savinelli Duca Carlo, that I bought from my local pipe/cigar shop. I read here for several weeks before buying a pipe. I have now smoked it a grand total of five times! I want to thank everyone for the friend requests and for making this forum such a positive place. You have already taught me a lot about smoking a pipe. The discussion on tamping has been especially beneficial! Based on my tobacconist's suggestion, I started with her house blend which is a mild aromatic. So far so good! I think I'm going to like this new hobby! - bp

ikondave

Lurker
Jul 30, 2012
Hiya folks. I'm Dave from beautiful Savannah, GA. It's been a long time since I've smoked/owned a pipe (I've smoked cigars for many years) but I have suddenly developed a strong interest in doing so again. I've been eying a couple of Churchwarden style pipes and expect to get one when I return from vacation. This looks like a great site!

pipesicle

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2012
S.E.Iowa
Hello, My name is Bill and I have been smoking pipes for about 2 weeks now. My wife found out last week. I haven't smoked a pipe since I was 16, my dad found me smoking and literally broke the pipe over my head. So I am still a little leary of smoking...dad is still alive. Looking forward to finding out more about this great hobby/obsession.

typical98

Might Stick Around
Jul 31, 2012
Toronto
Hello, i am from Toronto ontario and just started smoking pipes the last couple of weeks. I always remembered as a child my neighbour who used to smoke a pipe that i used to talk to a lot. When asked why he smokes a pipe he simply would say, to think and relax. Now i am 26 going through medical issues that have me very depressed and upset. I cannot work because of it and i have a family i feel i should be providing for. I found an old photo of my old neighbour and i started to remember what he said and that was the push that got me to buy a pipe. And he was correct, it is very relaxing to sit on the porch with my suck of a dog, watch traffic and smoke a pipe.

Ive joined to learn what i can about pipes, how there made, history of them, different tobacco's and all sorts of stuff. I hope i can be a good add-on to your community that you have here and hope to learn from all of you.

crispy

Lurker
Aug 1, 2012
Hello PipesMag! I've just recently come back to pipe smoking and decided I would take it a bit more seriously this time. Now 27, I'm realizing that just picking up what I could at the grocery store and senselessly cramming into a $10 pipe, I may have been missing out on the finer points of this hobby. I've recently decided to wean myself off the cigarettes, which fellow Canadian smokers would tell you, taste like shat compared to the more flavorful blends offered to pipe smokers. I also figured, if I'm going to have a less than healthy habit, I might as well get some genuine enjoyment out of it.
So, I look forward to absorbing some of the wisdom the more senior smokers have to offer and pitching in my two cents where I can. Cheers all!

Aug 1, 2012
USA
Hi all,
I have been smoking a pipe for a few years and I finally had too many questions with no answers. I've lurked on a few forums and this seemed like a good one to join. I look forward to the wisdom you will impart :worship: :).
Sou

fizzybubbla

Lurker
Aug 2, 2012
Hello. My name is Allen. Newer Pipe smoker im 35, been smoking cigars for about 12 years, as an younger boy I (am still am) was a crazy Bing Crosby fan. The music, the style and movies, I cant get enough. So bing always had a pipe and I always thought that looked so cool and Bing is so relaxed and sophisticated looking when he had a pipe in his mouth. I started smoking cigars when I lived in Canada, a friend owned a cigar store and was giving me heaps of expensive Cuban cigars to try(I enjoyed Bolivar Cubanos the most at that point), Moving back to the US I had no connection to get cubans anymore So I moved on to Davidoff Anniversary, way too soft tasting, so a year ago I decided after buying a pipe to use as a prop in a photoshoot, that Id try pipe smoking. Turns out I love it. Have only enjoyed "Proper English" so far, but the other few I tried were the flavored ones with chocolate, vanilla and I hated those. I like strong cigars, and a glass of good Appleton Dark Rum with some bing crosby records in the background. Thats my idea of relaxing but Im always smoking with or without a drink or music. But ive stopped cigars mostly and enjoy a pipe much more.
Any suggestions on new flavors to move up to or pipes to move upto since Ive been using the same $35 prop pipe would greatly be appreciated!

Thanks!

davicles

Lurker
Aug 3, 2012
South Bend
Hi Everyone: I just joined the site today. I've been smoking a pipe since I was 16, and spend every spare dime on tobaccos, to my wife's chagrin. One of my greatest griefs in life is how difficult is it to smoke indoors - I absolutely despise the wild wind effect on a smoke. So I often get up in the middle of the night when the little ones are sleeping to have the gourmet experience in my "man cave". I grew a crop of burley tobacco last year that will not be sold in stores anytime soon, but was fun to play with; and I have been responsible for getting about a dozen men in my residence to seriously take up the pipe. (I ought to get a cut from the Tinderbox proprietor.) I love the articles on the site. G.L. Pease truly is the wise old man of the pipe tribe, and I am such a fan of Cortezattic's tobacco reviews that they are a serious source of procrastination at work. In summer, I incessantly smoke FGF, Erinmore, and Union Square. In other months, I am an English man, with Nightcap, 965, Margate, and Penzance topping the ranks. (My pipe friends & I recently christened Penzance as "unobtainium".)
More generally, my family and I are from Canada. My wife and I have four children who do their best to pull my attention away from sublime puffing to indulge their capers. We moved to South Bend, Indiana, for me to get a Ph.D. in Christian Theology at the University of Notre Dame. One of the nice things about the U.S. is that people seem to have heard of theology; in Canada, it is terra incognita. But perhaps my favorite thing about living here is that you can still - o joy of joys! - smoke indoors. At dingy bars, I grant you; but still. And the bartenders of my city seem to have got used to the pipe-puffing oddity in their midst. Apart from smoking I'm into good beers and whiskies, English literature, philosophy, wild animals, and ghost stories. I prefer the beauty of ancient things to gimmicky modern things, love the passion of the Western mind, and firmly agree with Arthur Yunker's "Theology of Pipe Smoking", the best chapter of which is called: "That we shall smoke in heaven". Ha! I look forward to good chats. Cheers, Dave.

pauliepipes

Lurker
Aug 4, 2012
Hi,
Just joined 8/4/12. It has been a while, I just picked up my pipe after 15 or so years. I was generally an aromatic tobacco smoker and found my regular tobacco from local tobacco shop blends. This time around, I am venturing into the tins. Got a few good ones even getting interested in English blends (for the first time).

bdstansel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Greetings all, new member here. I first started with pipes in the mid-80s, nothing fancy, just function...nothing more than Grabow's. While moving back from overseas the blokes packing us up decided they needed my pipes more than I did. Fast-forward some, I got back into cigars about 2004 and still have 3 active humidors. Now stepping back into the pipe world, again. I'm here to learn, share and visit some.
Respects,

B

petiekas

Lurker
Aug 5, 2012
Hello Everyone,

My name is Pete and I have always loved the smell of pipe smoke. I have just recently obtained a pipe from a friend and got some Captain Black Cherry. I love it, I am so excited to venture into new types of tobacco and hopefully nicer pipes in my future. I ordered a Dr Grabow Duke Pipe and haven't received it yet but that's what Ill be smoking out of soon. I have been a Cig smoker for the last 17 years and picked up the pipe not even a week ago and have already totally switched. I really enjoy smoking a pipe, its fun, classy, smells & tastes great and satisfies my need for nicotine. I found this site while looking for tobacco and pipes online and signed up so I could ask questions and learn from everyone else's experiences.

goldflinger1

Lurker
Aug 6, 2012
Greetings! My name is Ed and I am from Oklahoma. I have recently again started to smoke a pipe after dabbling a bit in college in the 80's. I am currently smoking a cheap pipe with Lane Ltd. 1Q tobacco and it is enjoyable. I have ordered a Peterson Dalkey and anxiously await it's delivery this week. I celebrate my 48th birthday this week as well. Decided to give up cigars and go with the pipe for a bit. Stumbled onto this site via google and in my search for learning more about the pipe and it's use. Was glad to see the good ratings for the 1Q. looks like I picked a good tobacco right off the bat.

arslayer

Lurker
Aug 9, 2012
Hey all, just started smoking pipes a little over a month ago to try and kick the cig habit. I don't own anything too high-end, a few MM cobs and one grabow, but I enjoy it a great deal. I've basically kept with the PA, or Carter Hall stuff since it is close to a cig, but I finally branched out a little and got some Dunhill Royal Yacht (I've always loved Dunhill cigs, so I figured their pipe tobacco should be amazing). Well, I'm hooked and need to keep with it. I'm still hesitant to buy a real nice briar as cobs seem to be working well for me, so I've been spending my money on tobacco instead.

ruggierm1

Lurker
Aug 9, 2012
Hey Guys,
41 years old, cigar smoker, and new to pipes. So far I own 3 pipes. A MM Country Gentleman, Grabow Omega, and a Chacom Sahara. As far as tobacco is concerned, I've tried Capt Black White and Royal, Petersons Nutty Cut, Sutliff Navigator, and some B&M store blends. Even with the tongue bite, I'm still enjoying this new hobby. I find it very relaxing.
Matt

jaymayse50

Lurker
Aug 10, 2012
Hello all,
I have been smoking pipes for the last 16 years. Right before my dad passed away, he gave me all of his old pipes from the 60's and 70's. Since my dad was from a small town in Southern New Mexico, they didn't get a lot of expensive pipes in his area while he was smoking. So the collection is mostly of Kaywoodies, Medicos, and Yello-Boles. I would like to do some restoration on them. I have bought lots of Petersons and Savinelli pipes, but my dad's Kaywoodies smoke the best. I would like to get them back to the way they looked when he bought them so I can enjoy them for years to come.
Thanks all for listening.
Jay

choppa

Might Stick Around
Aug 11, 2012
Maui
Aloha Everyone,
Been lurking around here for a while. I decided I should finally join in! It'll be nice to chat with like minded folks, since all of my non-pipe smoking friends think I'm nuts for spending a small fortune on pipes and tobacco! I think the new Peterson Silver Spigot I just bought (and am still waiting for it to arrive)sealed the deal!!

mangers

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 11, 2012
Hello,

My name is Wayne and I have been smoking pipes for about 13 years. I prefer Burley blends. I Don't have many pipes, but I treasure the ones I do have. I am 53 years old, devorced, with no children. I currently reside in Aurora Illinois but am getting ready to move to Hinkley Illinois.

Status
Not open for further replies.