PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sack

Lurker
Nov 28, 2016
Hi. I've been an on again, off again pipe smoker for a bunch of years. Mostly been smoking cigars. Either it's the weather or just body chemistry telling me it's time to pipe up.

I have a few dozen jars of tobacco jarred in Jan 2014. Anniv kake, Missipppi River, magnum opus, black house, Solani aged burley, and several pounds of aros from Lane, Scottys and Russ.

While our budget is limited, I do intend to slowly squirrel away tobacco. A couple tins here, a pound or two there. I for one would rather be somewhat prepared than not. Don't want to stand in line only to face the dreaded out of stock. Now I'm not in a panic, but tobacco security feels a hell of a lot better, than being caught by an fda surprise.

billyklubb

Lurker
Dec 6, 2016
new to this forum but not to pipe smoking. been smoking pipe since '07. I've been home brewing since '99 and recently started cutting a few pipes and blending tobacco. I'm really awesome, I smell good, and I have 12 teeth.

0421131844_zpss9zh5oku.jpg

0219002011_zps1hmemhhh.jpg

driftless

Lurker
Dec 7, 2016
Good day,

I'm a new pipe smoker and have used this forum as a resource often to learn about this new hobby. I am a homesteader in Southwestern Wisconsin. Wisconsin has a rich history of growing tobacco, and the remnants of those days past live in the tobacco sheds dotted across the pastoral landscape and in abandoned warehouse pools and growers cooperatives bearing their original text. Pipes and pipe tobacco for me is a way to experience what I call a connection to the past.

I started making my own pipes before I ever smoked a pipe, initially starting with walnut and apple woods, as these woods grow on our farm. I have since added corncobs and bamboo to my materials. I grew two Virginia plants this last year and have really enjoyed adding the color cured and/or cavendished leaf to my blend experiments.
As far as tobacco goes, I have experimented around with just about every category. I find myself enjoying Virginia/Burley blends right now. I haven't cared too much for English blends yet, and I have not tried anything with Perique. I initially thought I would really enjoy the sweeter flavors of aromatics, but I think it's the natural flavor elements that are pulling me in. Right now my two favorites are Scotty's Butternut Burley and a mixture of my own Virginia and Lane BLWB.

phillpsych

Lurker
Dec 9, 2016
Hello fellow pipe smokers and collectors. I am new to this forum, but not at all new to pipe smoking. I received my first pipe from an uncle in 1972. I was (and still am in my heart, and will be soon I promise guys) a member of the CPCC, and attended meetings regularly. But due to some life changes, have not participated in several months, and need to get back to regular pipe communing... so I thought this forum and site would be a good way to do that. I have A LOT of pipes and tobacco, but my smoking has slowed down over the years. I'll be around, and look forward to getting to know you and reacquainting with some.

Phil

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
Hi all. New to the forum but have been smoking pipes and cigars since the early 80's, mainly cigars. I decided to get back into the pipe scene and have acquired several estate pipes recently... including my first Dunhill. Trying to find a pipe that works out well when golfing. Look forward to getting to know you guys (& gals).
Dino

grimpuffer

Can't Leave
Aug 29, 2016
I don't think I've introduced myself.
Greetings from Ga. Been a pipe smoker for about 6 years. Favorite pipes at the moment are Neerup and Briarworks pipes. Huge fan of Balkan blends and Dark Fired Burley blends. I'm also a huge whiskey enthusiast and in the process of finally transitioning to a job I've wanted for quite sometime.
I've used this forum as a resource for a very long time and don't know why I didn't join sooner. Some of you may know me from that "other" forum under this same name. Seems as though something I did somehow struck the wrong chord and that's all I'll say. I know several ppl will know what I mean.
I look forward to getting to know all of you and getting back to posting with those of you I do know. Pipesmag has always been a great site and can't wait to learn new things and meet new ppl.
Cheers everyone.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Hello mates,
I am new to the forum, but not quite as new to pipe smoking. I have picked up my first pipe back in Austin Texas (gosh, a little over 10 years ago), during my college years. Since then, I have moved to Europe, more specifically I currently live in Romania. There isn't much of a pipe smoking community here, but we do have a nice tobacco shop that carries a few well known pre-packed blends. I guess I wasn't a determined pipe smoker until recently. Although I did enjoy a good cigar only every so often or a good bowl of pipe tobacco, I did indulge in cigarette smoking. Ever since I decided to cut back on cigarettes (new law also forbids smoking in bars and such), I have given pipe serious thoughts. So I found this forum ... anfter which, well I just quit cigarettes all together. So thanks, pipesmagazine.com.
Looking forward to have some interesting conversations with yous guys.
Cheers!

downinit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2016
Just a reminder for new members without avatars who want to add one:
There are two different avatars, one for pipesmagazine itself and one for the forums.
To change or set your avatar used in the forum do this:
1. Follow the instructions here: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/avatars-in-the-forum-and-website-updated-2015
2. OR

Make sure you are logged into Pipesmagazine.com

Click on the Forum menu item on the top of the page OR otherwise navigate to a forum page

Find the "Members Online Now" section, either at the bottom of the page or in the right-side panel midway down

Click on your username to take you to your forum profile page

Click on the Avatar link on the far upper right to go to the edit avatar page
3. OR just type this url into your browser: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/profile/USERNAME/avatar

where USERNAME is your pipesmagazine.com username

downinit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2016
Hello all,
I just started smoking pipes in October after having smoked cigars off and on for years. I am really enjoying the

greater variety in pipe tobacco as compared to cigars. Smoking a pipe is IMHO very worth the extra effort compared

to smoking cigars. In fact I have been very busy acquiring new blends of tobacco to try but still cheaper than

trying different cigar makes.
I have been in the computer software design business for decades, originally from SE Michigan but now in the Salt Lake area.
Bob

pastorpiper

Lurker
Dec 16, 2016
Hello from Minnesota! I'm new here and a fairly new pipe smoker, however I'm trying hard to learn all that I can about my new hobby. Love the site!

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Hi, new member here and looking to learn much from you more experienced smokers all about pipes! Thank you for having me aboard!

tardisbasher

Lurker
Jun 6, 2010
Hi everyone.

Well, it's been a while but I've come back. I wandered away from forums for quite a while. I even stopped smoking a pipe for some time but I do think "Once a pipe man, always a pipe man" and so here I am, with a big "hello" to you all, ready to learn more in friendly company once again.

kilroyjune6

Might Stick Around
Dec 25, 2016
New guy from Drummond Island, Michigan. I've been lurking here for quite a while; finally signed up. I've been smoking a pipe for almost six years. Started with a MM Legend and a vanilla house blend.

snoopy311

Can't Leave
Dec 21, 2016
Greetings, fellow smokers of the briar:
I’ve been smoking a pipe for about 5 years so I relatively new to the art. I live in the fridge tundra of North Iowa with our four seasons of pre-winter, winter, post-winter and more winter. Certainly not an ideal place for a pipe smoker who chooses not to smoke in the house. But I find solace in my garage with a Nipco heater and a nice bowl of Va/Per.
Looking forward to getting to know some of you and learning from everyone. I’m encouraged by the camaraderie that smokers across the U.S. and the world have and enjoy reading the tales of pipes and tobaccos that all are willing to share.
Best wishes to all and remember to keep those pipes lit.
Regards,
Branden

piperray

Lurker
Dec 27, 2016
Hi ya all.

My name is Ray and been smoking pipe since 80's.Been reading this site for awhile. I'm smoking mostly full latakia blends and generally blends with high nicotine content and taste. I'll wish you all Happy New Year and sublime smokes.

-Ray

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
Been over at the Grabow page for a while but I smoke a lot of pipes. Mostly with Burley. Also I'm here for a pipe posted a few weeks back that may or may not be available, came on a chance, maybe I'll stick around.

bouffard

Lurker
Dec 29, 2016
Hi,
Located in Switzerland I'm discovering the fascinating world of pipe smoking.

Thank you everyone for making this forum such a special place.
Bouffard

murica

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2017
Hi all
New here, long time smoker.
I have three pipes. A roush, a castello, and a cob. All I need.
Tobaccos are a different story. I stocked up over the past 8 or so years, and now I smoke blends that have gone wayside. Bufflehead blends are a daily. Some old old bengal slices. Some brown flake here and there. The Smokers blends when I have a hankering for anything oriental.
I also ordered a significant amount of HU, from creeping on this forum for many moons.
Just thought I would introduce myself.

danno44

Lurker
Jan 4, 2017
Hello from Michigan. Pipe smoker for almost 2 years. I have PAD and TAD and therapy doesn't help.

culinist

Lurker
Jan 5, 2017
Hello Pipers,
I'm Scott. I ave only been experimenting with the pipe for a few weeks. Was a long time cig smoker, quit about 8 years ago. Started vaping a few years ago and hate it with a passion but I'm hooked on the Vitamin N again and refuse to smoke cigarettes so there I am.
I have always been intrigued by pipe smoking and as a wood turner I appreciate the wood and the art used in creating pipes. I started researching pipe making and that led me to the pipe communities that exist on YouTube, forums and social media. Once I saw that there was more to it than just burning some tobacco I was hooked on the process.
I Went out and ordered a MM Country Gentleman and bought an ounce of 1Q from my local B&M. Since then I have picked up most of the OTC blends and practiced. While I have mostly gotten crappy smokes I know it stems from my technique and am determined to replicate the good ones an forget the bad. Bought another cob an picked up a bag of Seconds from MM. Started scouting the local antique shops and found a decent Tinderbox Verona 801, unsmoked, for a just few bucks. I figure I'm covered for the time being.....uh yeah....
I have gotten more enjoyable smokes on aromatics like CB but have enjoyed Carter Hall as well. My palette is non existent right now so I don't expect much until I can slow down and relax and quit thinking about the next puff.
Anyways I want to thank all of you for this great forum. I have learned a ton and hope to be a help to someone else down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.