PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Looks like Al Jones also uses his thumb. (Per BROBS, above)..... At least, it occurred to me that I use my thumb for the space bar, not fingers.... Am I alone in that?
bb0e7e5f-ddaf-478c-b9eb-479fbb3fd04a-jpeg.11433

• Haha
Reactions: BROBS

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019
I have found that when my pipe starts to die out and I don't want to re-light, I either place my index finger on top of the bowl and it seems to draft the pipe back to life. Sort of when you blow into a smoldering campfire and it re-lights. If the bowl is large enough and the tobacco has burned down near the bottom of the bowl, I put my finger inside the bowl, sip it and it seems to fire up again. No need to re-light. I also use my index finger to tamp the unlit tobacco on a fresh bowl. After it's lit, I'll use a Czech tool or a nail head or sometimes a small stick to tamp. Whatever works. Also, and I know some people say there is no need to do this, but I find it works for me, is I gently tap out the top ash and re-lite and re-tamp the unburned tobacco. so far, so good. To each their own.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I have found that when my pipe starts to die out and I don't want to re-light, I either place my index finger on top of the bowl and it seems to draft the pipe back to life.

As a variation, If I'm working with difficult tobacco that doesn't want to stay lit, I sometimes place my entire hand over the bowl, grasp the pipe and then draw. I control the draw pressure using my palm. A couple of puffs like that tends to get the fire going and produce a good amount of smoke.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
As a variation, If I'm working with difficult tobacco that doesn't want to stay lit, I sometimes place my entire hand over the bowl, grasp the pipe and then draw. I control the draw pressure using my palm. A couple of puffs like that tends to get the fire going and produce a good amount of smoke.
Exactly. This is why I rarely need to relight. This and proper tamping (not too much).

cosgringo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2019
CO Springs
Explains my burdened stained fingers. That and "cleaning" my tobacco.
Glad I am not alone or a complete moron for a beginner.

subsalac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 9, 2018
I actually sprained my index finger trying to sand the inside of the bowl. I was getting some good sanding going having the paper wrapped around my finger, then a snag and CRACK. Well, not a crack but there was a jolt of pain. Took a week to feel better. I wonder if anyone's ever shown up to an ER with a pipe stuck on their finger before...

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
That's why God made dowels!

What a painful result. I can see myself doing the same in spite of actively recommending using a dowel....

Idahojoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 30, 2019
Wilder, Idaho
As others have stated, I find this advise to be absurd. God gave us wonderful tools: our fingers! Why not use them? There are times when it's appropriate to use a tamper, there are other times when a finger (I use my pinky) is not only the appropriate tool, but the quickest and easiest available.
Some people (on these pipe videos) just like to hear themselves talk.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.