PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seeker81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 22, 2019
While watching random pipe smoking videos, I have heard it said never put your finger in the bowl of your pipe.
Can anyone say why not?
Beside the obvious reason that you might forget to take it out and smoke your finger. Thanks.

EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title - Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: anotherbob

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
While watching random pipe smoking videos,
Mostly misinformation. I've not seen many pipe smoking videos where they actually looked like they knew what they were doing. Bet they don't even know that the bowl is the part of the stummel the chamber is drilled into and not the chamber itself.

I use my finger as a tamper all of the time.

blues4goose

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2019
Bethlehem, PA
People usually give the advice not to put your finger in the bowl when they're teaching the frank or swirl method of packing, ime. The thinking is that you don't want to 'pack' the tobacco, just 'work' it into the chamber without actually pressing with your finger. Ive heard people claim that when you put your finger in the bowl you're creating 'pinch points' that will cause your pipe to go out. But Chasingembers is right, it's really just misinformation, and you pack your pipe however works best for you, finger in the chamber or not

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
I often tamp with fingers too and usually it's ok, as long as there's some ashes. Sometimes it's painful, touching a red-hot embers burns really badly, that's why it's not recommended. I guess. :D

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Most pipe smokers use their finger(s) to tamp from time to time, and anyone with experience knows how to tentatively sample the heat at the top of the bowl to see if it is cool enough to do this. My dad was a one-pipe Granger smoker and used his fingers or thumbs most often as tampers. No, you don't just stick your finger in the ember and hope for the best. Only a few guys with asbestos hands do this; do not try this at home. If you do not have asbestos hands, also consider using a golf tee (even if like me you don't golf), a twig, or some other improvised item. Or, of course, use your finger, with care.

Status
Not open for further replies.