PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
How broken up is your tobacco? Seems like it would still just sit loosely in the bowl?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
While watching random pipe smoking videos, I have heard it said never put your finger in the bowl of your pipe.
Can anyone say why not?
Beside the obvious reason that you might forget to take it out and smoke your finger.
The root of the confusion lies in a fundamental error, watching pipe videos. 99.9% of them are made by drooling cretins who delude themselves that they have a clue and are not a complete waste of time. At least the percentage has improved a little bit. It used to be 99.99% were drooling cretins.
There are a few videos that are useful, like the restoration videos that George Dibos makes, but they are the extreme exception that proves the rule.
Do yourself a service by checking in with us cretins and reclaim your precious and irreplaceable lifespan by avoiding pipe videos, especially “random” pipe videos.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Man, this is a pet peeve of mine. A lot of self-proclaimed pipe 'experts' can't even correctly label the anatomy of a pipe.

I agree! You go to a pipe show an a lot of pipe guys call the big hot part connected to the smoke straw the chamber! It's not a chamber, there is no door! It's the hot tobacco hole. I mean, come on people, it's pipe smoking not nuclear science.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Geez, how did my great grandfather, grandfather, father, and I many years ago ever manage to smoke our pipes without the internet!

The degree of dependency on the internet across the board for routine economic/social functioning that has developed in such a short time span is staggering.

We now have people of adult age who have never known life without it. If it suddenly disappeared, it would be generally a good thing in regard to the social aspect...but the economic impact would probably be catastrophic at this point.

The root of the confusion lies in a fundamental error, watching pipe videos. 99.9% of them are made by drooling cretins

Cretins are bad enough...but the drooling ones are really scary.

I don't know what percentage of cretins drool, but likely it's primarily the pipe smoking ones.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
The root of the confusion lies in a fundamental error, watching pipe videos. 99.9% of them are made by drooling cretins who delude themselves that they have a clue and are not a complete waste of time. At least the percentage has improved a little bit. It used to be 99.99% were drooling cretins.
There are a few videos that are useful, like the restoration videos that George Dibos makes, but they are the extreme exception that proves the rule.
Do yourself a service by checking in with us cretins and reclaim your precious and irreplaceable lifespan by avoiding pipe videos, especially “random” pipe videos.

I quit watching the smoking review vids . I got tired of saying “Dude, if you’re not going to retrohale, just send me your tobacco!” I will occasionally watch Stuff & Things with your friend Bradley if he’s reviewing a blend I’m curious about though.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
The degree of dependency on the internet across the board for routine economic/social functioning that has developed in such a short time span is staggering.

We now have people of adult age who have never known life without it. If it suddenly disappeared, it would be generally a good thing in regard to the social aspect...but the economic impact would probably be catastrophic at this point.

Cretins are bad enough...but the drooling ones are really scary.

I don't know what percentage of cretins drool, but likely it's primarily the pipe smoking ones.

Sorry, I don’t mean to bum-rush this thread but the first part of your post warrants an Amen!

I’m Gen-X, and had to learn how to do a lot of things by trial and error. If I broke something before Mom & Dad got home, I’d better fix it. If that meant riding my bike (or hoofing it) down to a local store to buy superglue or whatever, so be it!

There’s a whole generation of kids coming up that can’t change a tire, an air intake vent, or mix up gas & oil and start a weed-eater, etc. /facepalm

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
That's what youtube videos are for.

Exactly! To bring it full circle, you’re spot-on. If the ‘Net (WWW) went away, us older folks would be popular! That said I’d be hard pressed to have to grow a garden a second year, relying on harvested seeds from the first (I’ve got a few cans of heirloom seeds stored away for, you know, a ‘rainy day’). I have books on it, but nothing like actual experience... or a YouTube video - lol!

Sorry for the tangent, OP. I load with my fingers and tamp with a finger occasionally.

Status
Not open for further replies.