PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ltstone

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
I noticed during my winter cold I lost a bit of taste with my tobacco obviously because of a congested nose. But that gave me man idea.. Has anyone used a Neti-Pot to cleanse their sinuses? My theory is not only would be be beneficial to cleanse your nose from the retrohale smoke but may also give the pipe a better flavour. Anywhoo I just picked one up and ill post my results.

rx2man

May 25, 2012
I have one and use it every spring. Every spring I get real close or do get a sinus infection. REALLY sucks. The neti pot gets the crap out. That, sudafed and benedryl are my friends. Man its coming soon......

theloniousmonkfish

Jan 1, 2017
Ideally you should use it every morning but, yes, in the winter and being a smoker it will help immensely. Your sense of smell greatly impacts taste. Clean sinuses provide cleaner scents which translates into stronger flavors. The nose is your tasting organ.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I use one, but have been using the saline sprays more lately. You can really get up in there with those cans. I think Arm and Hammer started making the newer cans with the narrow tip, but there are generic options out there that are much cheaper. They run anywhere from $6-$10 a can. I highly recommend trying one.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I do when a cold kicks in, or in the Spring with allergies.

My doc always recommends the saline spray, I'll have to check the new ones mothernature, thanks.

ericthered

Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
Tried a neti-pot once, nearly choked to death (maybe a slight exaggeration). The waterboarding comment is spot-on. I'm sure I did it wrong, but the experience was unpleasant enough for me to not care to try to get it right.

lifesizehobbit

Oct 23, 2015
As one with heart med consideration, I'm limited on my OTC sinus treatments. I started using a neti pot 3 years ago and recommend it for anyone with regular allergies or sinus problems. Distilled water and a saline packet helps flush a lot of nasties from your nasal passages. Most can be used up to 3 times a day.
Sure it's kind of weird at first, but you get used to it.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I'll have to check the new ones mothernature
They are awesome ssjones! They're pressurized cans that shoot a stream of saline into your sinuses. I had an awful cold coming on between Christmas and New Years a few weeks back and went through a couple cans of it, and that stuff just washed huge clobs of crap right out of my face and I never did get sick, but was certainly on the verge. It was amazing, and I've never had the same results from the mists or neti pots. You can tip your head back and really get up in there. The pressurized saline cans have changed my life.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
mothernature, I MUST try those new pressurized numbers you mention!
That being said, I have used neti pots for years. My best results come from about a rounded teaspoon of sea salt dissolved in about 8 to 10 oz of hot water. Sometimes I wait for the water to cool down some, sometimes not... depends on how bad the congestion is. Thing is, it works for me first time, every time. Afterwards, I'm usually good for a day... if not, benedryl and pseudofed wait in reserve, but are rarely needed.
I can see why newbies to netis find similarities to water-boarding... but once I got used to it, learned how to shut off the back of my throat/mouth whilst irrigating, and relaxing other things... like taking a huge breath and then gently holding it or exhaling while I running the pot through, piece of cake!
A couple months ago I bought some of that Himalayan pink salt to make the solution... thought it might bring enlightenment as well. It didn't. sigh. Press on, on that front, I must! :)

Jun 4, 2014
My wife uses a neti-pot and swears by the results. I have tried it twice because apparently I'm a glutton for punishment, never again.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I've been a dedicated neti-potter for years.

It's best to use distilled water, and I like the flake type salts you can buy at organic groceries.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I use something similar, but easier and less messy, it's called NeilMed sinus rinse. It's works the same as a Neti pot, but it's much easier for me, and also has pressure, as little or much as you like to squeeze. They sell them at Walgreens.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you are addressing a problem that is itself somewhat debilitating, a neti pot might be worth a try. If your nasal passages are generally in balance and functioning, I for one wouldn't mess with it. I'd go with the saying, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. For temporary bugs, I wouldn't do it. In general, your body is designed a with a lot more intricate design than a neti pot.

theloniousmonkfish

Jan 1, 2017
Actually, Mso, it's counter intuitive with a Neti. If you have a real problem with congestion do not use the neti, it relies on your sinuses being a complete circuit so any blockage would prevent the water from traveling it's intended path and could cause more problems. Get a strong decongestant, spicy food, or see a doctor if it's bad. Neti is like brushing your teeth, you don't start doing it when you get a cavity, it's preventative.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I prefer filling my palm with warm water and sucking it into the nostrils, then purging. I try to be gentle on the inhale and exhale. Netipots would seem to require cleaning a lot, no?

username

Lifer
Dec 24, 2014
Tucson Az
I just lean over the sink slightly and our that sucker in at a angle from the pot. It feels weird as all get out but it definitely helped me get over the chronic ainus infections i used to get.

Status
Not open for further replies.