New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's still about 90% humidity now, and today the mercury hit 66F, which is cold as Hell IMO. I just take a deep breath, put one finger over a nostril and blow... usually outside. The wife is always quick to point this out if I make the mistake of doing it inside. Then cover the other nostril and repeat.
Neti pots must be one of those things for people that live in the uninhabitable regions above the Tennessee River.

tobaccojoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2016
USA
I use a Saline Nasal Mist in each nostril after a day of much smoking. It helps me re-hydrate my nose holes! Neti Pot is a good idea as well.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I have constant mild nasal congestion all winter long and my was has nagged me....I mean strongly suggested that I try one of these things. I just don't see how one can pour water into their snout and not friggin' drown themselves. I'm afraid....very afraid!! :puffy:

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
I was, as many people are, skeptical of using a Neti pot; however, several years ago I was willing to try anything to help alleviate the nasty pressure from a significant sinus infection. Now I swear by the magic of the Neti.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Sinus rinse is very effective, recommended by many ENTs. Neti Pot is tricky and messy, and the pottery ones can harbour bacteria and cause more harm than good. The plastic one with the dome-shaped tip is better, but still tricky for some to use. The same company that makes it (NeilMed) also makes a squeeze-bottle irrigator, which is MUCH easier to handle as you don't need to tilt your head and rely on gravity to get the solution up your nose. They also make one called Sinugator, which runs on AA batteries and delivers the solution in a gentle upward pulse. I got one and vastly prefer it to the squeeze bottle, which I reserve for traveling because it's smaller and lighter. For $30 the electric Sinugator is the one to get.
And definitely get the NeilMed packets of pH balanced saline powder. Whatever you do don't use plain water, it will feel very unpleasant.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Love mine!!!!! Once you get past feeling like your going to drown if you dont keep your mouth open, all is good.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
There were a couple of examples here of users dying from "brain eating amoeba" so I don't think I'll be trying one. Though brain eating amoeba was one of best news phrases of that year along with "polar vortex". (beats some of the fad news phrases of the past, like "paradigm shift"

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
The main thing is you are just rehydrating your sinus, you can get a similar effect very easily by merely snorting a teaspoon of water. If you have a cold or allergy, put a couple drops of tincture of cayenne in with it. Stings a little at first, but will clear your sinus and open your whole head up in seconds.

snoopy311

Can't Leave
Dec 21, 2016
On Friday I came down with one whopper of a head cold. Struggled through Friday and Saturday. After reading this post I ran down to the drugstore and picked up a neti-pot to try. After using I can honestly say that it does work to clear nasal congestion. I was skeptical at first and somewhat apprehensive to try but after I did I am amazed at how well it worked.
I know that some have said its like water boarding but I found the experience to be simple with no odd feelings while doing the rinse. If you do it the way directions state with a water temperature close to body temperature and your mouth open it is really a very simple procedure to clear sinus congestion. I’m sold on the process.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
The main thing is you are just rehydrating your sinus, you can get a similar effect very easily by merely snorting a teaspoon of water.
Um, none of that is correct. Neti Pots (and the pressure irrigators which are MUCH more effective) flush the nasal passages. It's actually quite unlikely that much if any of it makes its way into the sinuses themselves. Flushing thickened mucus from the nasal passages, plus the action of the saline to reduce inflammation of the tissue, promotes natural draining from the sinuses. For most normal people, plain water up the nose causes a burning sensation and violent sneezing, and does nothing to reduce inflammation.

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Sure it's kind of weird at first, but you get used to it.

Be like getting used to enemas......No Thanks...
It may just be me, but if you're discussing enemas, you may be using your Neti-pot incorrectly - check the instructions. :rofl:

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I've done a couple recent home-improvement projects that involve mixing batches of concrete. Nothing like snorting a big double-handful of warm water to flush the rocks out at the end of the day.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
"Tincture of cayenne"? Hell, just chop a nice plump, flaky line of cayenne out on a mirror, roll up a twenty, and go to town!

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
The idea of pouring water up? down? my nose has always terrified me. I know many that swear by it, but I just can't bring myself to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.