National Cherish an Antique Day; Show Us Yours!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Could that also be translated as "Life is Smoke"?

That would be a nice double meaning; the pleasures of a good tobacco and the passing of life.

Either way, nice pipe rack!
You are correct, Mike. It does have a double meaning (which makes it the more special to me).
The literal translation is: “The life is a smoke” but this doesn’t capture its true meaning in English. I normally substitute ’A’ (EEN) with ‘But’ (MAAR) to better translate the sentiment.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
My oldest man made object used to be a tiny flint arrowhead I found in a park in Sheffield as a youngster. Not sure where that went....likely as not swapped for a bag of marbles or some other such bit of uselessness :rolleyes:

My oldest currently owned man made object is a Roman coin with the image of Emperor Victorinus ~270 AD on it. Old as it is, it is not of much value.

My most prized antiques are my pocket watch collection & my antiquarian books...some well over 400 years old.

Regards,

Jay.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Got 3 blankets made from brown cotton, lady wanted one to put in the Smithosion, nope I told her, one for each one of my kids, Grandparents grew the brown cotton, picked it, carded it, spun the thread on my grandmas spinning wheel. They rented a loom for a pig, my father was the catcher for the loom. all brown, heavy and rough, one has a white stripe. My grandfathers Hamilton Railroad pocket watch, in 1900 he traded a horse for it, Quite a trade in those days, got a lot of old tools in my barn, people don’t want that old stuff anymore.

Zack Miller

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 13, 2020
Fort Worth, Texas
Old oil painting by Elisha Taylor Baker.
295C316C-E64C-4BCE-9B70-750680A27447.jpeg
qpixel.gif

Elisha Taylor Baker

gray_line.gif
(1827-1890) Though Elisha Bakers paintings are scarce, their great charm makes them highly desirable to collectors. Baker was born in New York City and grew up in Colchester, Connecticut. He went to sea in 1851. He worked as a painter from 1868 to 1880; a surviving business card identifies him as a Marine Painter at 115 Pearl Street and 104 South Street in New York. Although he painted some landscapes, he is known primarily for his paintings of ships, yachts, and steamboats. He traveled throughout New England, and is thought to have traveled to the British Isles in the 1880s. Baker died in 1890 in Orange, Connecticut. His works are in the collections of the New Bedford Whaling Museum, the Mariner's Museum, and the Mystic Seaport Museum. As late as 1979, only twenty-four paintings by Baker had been recorded; eleven others were subsequently attributed to him. He signed his works variously as "E.T. Baker," E. Taylor Baker," or with a monogram of the three conjoined initials of his name.

Last edited:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I have a few pieces of antique furniture, a gothic plantation secretary ca 1840, a British Arts & Crafts bookcase from around 1890, a beautiful English sideboard from around 1890, a tiger oak dresser from the 1890’s, a highboy from the 1870’s, assorted American Arts & Crafts copper metalware from 1910 thru 1930, several silver Roman coins, an American Mission style dining table from around 1910, and other odds and ends.
The usual stuff.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Should I post a photo of myself? A couple of people cherish me.....
You beat me to it rotf

Apart from 100yr old pipes, just a few pieces of antique furniture.

My wife has a "chuck it out" mentality and is addicted to furniture from Aldi (a German Walmart-like chain-store) :rolleyes:
At least she is keeping me around. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Reactions: RonB and jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The belt and buckle on the left, and the buckle on the right (including keeper and tang) are just over or just under 100 years old Grandfather bought had them made for my dad and uncle.

I have had new leathers put on them, so my son has a "new" belt with family history, as do I. Also waist has grown for both of us....

Western belts beofre.jpeg

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
The belt and buckle on the left, and the buckle on the right (including keeper and tang) are just over or just under 100 years old Grandfather bought had them made for my dad and uncle.

I have had new leathers put on them, so my son has a "new" belt with family history, as do I. Also waist has grown for both of us....

View attachment 141251
Love the initials on the buckle.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
My oldest book is 'The Historie Of Great Britannie' by John Clapham. This rare first edition was printed in 1606 by Valentine Simmes who also printed Shakespeare's plays!

Bound in vellum, it is the history of Britain from the landing of Julius Caesar in 55 BC to the 9th century Anglo Saxon King Ecgbert.

Not the prettiest of books to look at but a lovely addition to my early history collection.

book 4.jpg
book 13.jpg
book 1.jpg

Regards,

Jay.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
My oldest book is 'The Historie Of Great Britannie' by John Clapham. This rare first edition was printed in 1606 by Valentine Simmes who also printed Shakespeare's plays!

Bound in vellum, it is the history of Britain from the landing of Julius Caesar in 55 BC to the 9th century Anglo Saxon King Ecgbert.

Not the prettiest of books to look at but a lovely addition to my early history collection.

View attachment 141372
View attachment 141373
View attachment 141374

Regards,

Jay.
Stunning, Jay ?

Reactions: mawnansmiff

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
This was my grandfathers wedding band, he was married in 1916. My mother had it in a box of random jewelry. After nearly 40 years, my wedding band so thin it broke (after numerous repairs). I had it sized, blessed and have been wearing it for about 10 years. My grandparents fled Hungary after WWII had lost all their belongings, so this is all that I have from him.
Wedding_Band.jpg