National Cherish an Antique Day; Show Us Yours!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Ropp Pipes
6 Fresh Castello Pipes
36 Fresh Tsuge Pipes
12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes
108 Fresh Brulor Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Title edited to remove date. Note added that antique is 100 years old; otherwise it's 'vintage'.

I think antiques have a certain charm, especially in this age where almost everything is disposable.

Do you have an antique that means something to you? It doesn't necessarily have to be a pipe.

I have an older magnifying glass from my grandparents. I remember being a kid and playing with it. When we were moving my grandmother into a home, I found it on the ground. It brought back some good memories, and now it lives on my work bench.

P_20220409_064938.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Old stuff is cool, we have some old stuff. The old stuff I really care about has a personal connection and not a lot of our old stuff has that aspect. Technically it may not be an antique, but in terms of sentimental value one of the very few really old things I own that means something is a late 40s Remington 550-1 .22 that belonged to my mother's father. It's a heavy son of a gun, but "dead on balls accurate", lol. I'm settled in for all the pre-Masters yak, yak, yak on TV and the dog gave a grumble when he sensed I even thought of moving him off of me, so not headed downstairs to grab it for a picture, and it's a pretty "plain Jane" firearm only a few nerds like me would probably get excited about seeing.

I'll enjoy seeing the things that people post!

Reactions: RonB and jpmcwjr

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Just about everything I own is fecking ancient - I guess someone in our family purchased something new once. I have endured years of 'Try this one it was your Uncle Cyrils...' and me responding 'That's nice. Didn't he die in 1948' as I look at a near indestructible tweed jacket bearing the label of a tailor from the 1920s!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
What's your definition of "antique". It used to be 100 years at least in some parts of the country.
Actually, a 100 years old or older is the definition for the term "antique" everywhere but people misuse the term, not knowing that it has a specific range where it can be applied. Anything newer doesn't qualify, no matter what anyone says or thinks. Vintage, on the other hand, is a more flexible term.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Most of my treasured antiques are also leadchuckers, which are all packed up for my pending move.

Most notably, a Finnish M39 Mosin Nagant built on an 1896 Sestroretsk (One of the early Russian aresnals) receiver.

I also have Grandma's dresser, which is hanging in there. Not sure of age.

1649529332162.png

1649529406780.jpeg

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I've been a film photographer for many, many years. Along the way I collected some old cameras that I've hung on to. This is probably the oldest, a Kodak No. 1 Autographic Junior. Although the No. 1 models went from the late 1800s to about 1920, the Autographic models started in 1914. For it's age this camera is in great condition, and of all the film sizes it was offered in, this one uses 120 roll film, something still in use today. I took some photos with it years ago and as I remember they were surprisingly good! Maybe because it has the 2 element rectilinear lens rather than the single element meniscus lens. Pretty little thing....DSCF9457.jpegDSCF9456.jpeg

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Couple of cool things hanging in my garage. My dad owned a service garage/convenience store when he was young. He had these hanging in the service station then had them in his garage. Put them up in mine when he passed. View attachment 138986View attachment 138987
S&H Green Stamps...brings back fond memories of being a young kid and licking all those stamps and sticking them in books for my mom.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
This definitely qualifies as an antique and is one of my favorite pieces:
65282697-A9BE-432E-9539-08C3A88B550C.jpeg
I’ve posted about it here in previous threads. It is an old, Dutch, handmade pipe rack. The inscription, “HET LEVEN IS EEN ROOK” loosely translated means ‘Life is but smoke’. The outline around the saying represents wisps of smoke and the design at the bottom between the curls of smoke is a stylized representation of the angel of death (as was depicted on tombstones of that era). This piece is a Memento Mori in the true Arts & Crafts tradition and one that will be with me until my inevitable end. I’m glad that it came to me for restoration and preservation.