PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I've been a member since it was the Ohio Pipe Collectors. Things don't seem to be run nearly as well as they used to be. You just don't replace guys like Bill Unger, Regis McCafferty and John Tolle very easily. For several decades, the February issue has been my prompt to send a check. This year, no February issue came so, no check went out. The last two years I've paid for both online and snail mail versions and have never received the e-mail version. Even after making contact to correct it. Hell. they even sent last year's membership card is someone else's name. The website has always been as it is. It has always been about the Swap and The Pipe Collector. But, I still recommend the organization. The only print anything in the pipe world now, that I know of.

Mike Stanley

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I joined a few years ago. Got one pdf pub and never heard from them again. Never responded to emails.
I had a similar experience, getting only two issues out of the four. Since publication was so sporadic, I’d actually forgotten about it.

Despite the fact that each issue is fairly packed with content, it’s content that very much reads like a “fan” publication. I recall some “Letters to the Editor” going on for pages! And many of the “articles” are overlong and meandering and, frankly, sometimes have almost nothing to do with pipesmoking.

Think of the YTPC videos that spend the first 10 minutes showing someone opening a tin and silently puffing. Then the host spends the next 10 minutes telling you why they chose this particular pipe, providing out-of-focus close-ups. And then, suddenly, they make the point mentioned in the thumbnail title. And then it’s 10 more minutes of puffing, relighting, and an occasional sentence.

Now convert that experience to print, and you have about 80% of the NASPC newsletter.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I had a similar experience, getting only two issues out of the four. Since publication was so sporadic, I’d actually forgotten about it.

Despite the fact that each issue is fairly packed with content, it’s content that very much reads like a “fan” publication. I recall some “Letters to the Editor” going on for pages! And many of the “articles” are overlong and meandering and, frankly, sometimes have almost nothing to do with pipesmoking.

Think of the YTPC videos that spend the first 10 minutes showing someone opening a tin and silently puffing. Then the host spends the next 10 minutes telling you why they chose this particular pipe, providing out-of-focus close-ups. And then, suddenly, they make the point mentioned in the thumbnail title. And then it’s 10 more minutes of puffing, relighting, and an occasional sentence.

Now convert that experience to print, and you have about 80% of the NASPC newsletter.
I find 99% of YouTube videos a complete bore, and full of repeated misconceptions and BS that is published elsewhere.

At least if they had the forethought to identify a topic and make up a script it would help. I don’t want waste my time watching somebody yammer on about some unrelated stuff for 85% of a video…

Reactions: jpberg

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
I get the PDF edition and load it on a tablet. Since it is in full color that way, I prefer it to the printed version.

I've been a member for years and, with the death of "Pipes and Tobacco", it's the best pipe publication out there.

The cost is minimal and I look forward to each edition.

The content is all contributed by the readership, so don't expect polished prose every time.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
The content is all contributed by the readership, so don't expect polished prose every time.
Does that mean, though, that the content cannot be edited—for grammar, punctuation, length?

I do realize that the group is built on the work of volunteers. But given how many pipesmokers are involved in publishing, surely there would be a member qualified to provide editorial services. It isn’t as if that would be even a monthly commitment; it‘s a bimonthly publication. (If that. My personal experience has been that it maybe comes out a couple of times a year, if and when it wants to.)

I don’t think the NASPC leadership understands what impression they’re making (or not making) with their publication. If it’s someone‘s only connection to the group, then it’s critical for maintaining that person’s ongoing membership.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
For those wondering about the deals with the NASPC membership, I emailed SP and TP.

SP: 5% discount on new pipes. Cannot stack with any other promos.

TP: No discounts anymore.

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
Does that mean, though, that the content cannot be edited—for grammar, punctuation, length?

I do realize that the group is built on the work of volunteers. But given how many pipesmokers are involved in publishing, surely there would be a member qualified to provide editorial services. It isn’t as if that would be even a monthly commitment; it‘s a bimonthly publication. (If that. My personal experience has been that it maybe comes out a couple of times a year, if and when it wants to.)

I don’t think the NASPC leadership understands what impression they’re making (or not making) with their publication. If it’s someone‘s only connection to the group, then it’s critical for maintaining that person’s ongoing membership.
I received six issues last year, though that number has varied. I agree that some professional editing could improve some of the contributions. I treat the articles as letters to the editor.