Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
6689AF3D-BA5C-4429-A918-40A702DF8003.jpeg
D921DEA7-9AB5-49FF-BAED-E45677718A76.jpeg
Currently breaking in my never been smoked Wally Frank Chadwick, which is made of Algerian Briar, with some Pegasus. From what I can find, the line was originally made in England but my stem is stamped indicating that the pipe was made in France. It draws beautifully and is smoking well. The stem needed a bit of polishing and oiling as it had been sitting for decades. There are also some small scratches from storage. One thing that stands out to me with this pipe is how well balanced it is and how comfortable the stem is to clench. Im assuming this pipe came from St. Claude but who knows. Every French pipe I’ve ever had has been made of lower quality vulcanite but has been extremely comfortable to clench. Either way it’s an excellent pipe and certainly worth the $32 I paid for it (including shipping).

Reactions: Sobrbiker and Toast

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
When I’m the only bidder I win these for ten bucks and five dollars postage.

It’s a B size Jumbo with an unusually short shank.

View attachment 213162View attachment 213163View attachment 213164
I don’t mean to be an ass—truly—but I’m curious what about this pipe appeals to you? For me, the rustication, the unbalanced shank-to-stem ratio…it all makes for an unattractive pipe I wouldn’t keep if someone gave it to me. But it has sold at least twice in its lifetime so far; it is clearly reaching its intended audience. So: What led you to pull the trigger on this one? The brand? Does it fit stylistically with others in your collection? Does it remind you of a pipe you used to own? Again, just curious.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I don’t mean to be an ass—truly—but I’m curious what about this pipe appeals to you? For me, the rustication, the unbalanced shank-to-stem ratio…it all makes for an unattractive pipe I wouldn’t keep if someone gave it to me. But it has sold at least twice in its lifetime so far; it is clearly reaching its intended audience. So: What led you to pull the trigger on this one? The brand? Does it fit stylistically with others in your collection? Does it remind you of a pipe you used to own? Again, just curious.
You obviously haven't been paying much attention lately. He can't pass up a great deal.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
It's clear, they used a beautiful chunk of briar for this pipe! I'm assuming it had a few defects on it, that caused them to carve the shit out of it before sending it out!

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
If I had to guess, the shank on that pipe broke off at some point and it was re cut. Marxman pipes tend to have much better proportions. Our good friend is on a roll and it is about quantity, not quality. Ain't noth'in gonna stop him now!

telescopes

“Why, Mr. Lee?, Why, why?.
Why do you do it? Why, why post?.

Why keep buying?.

Do you believe you're buying...for something?.

For more than your habit?.

Can you tell me what it is?.

Do you even know?; Is it quantity?, Or variety?.

Perhaps quality?. Could it be for love?

Illusions, Mr. Lee.

Vagaries of perception.

Temporary constructs of a feeble human intellect trying desperately to justify an existence that is without meaning or purpose.

And all of them as artificial as this Forum itself, although... only a human mind could invent something as insipid as pipe collecting.

You must be able to see it, Mr. Lee.

You must know it by now, You can't succeed.

It's pointless to keep buying.

Why, Mr. Lee?.
Why?, Why do you persist?​

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I love my beater pipes even more or as much as my fancier ones. Something to be said for a pipe you can just smoke and not care for.

driftedshank1

Might Stick Around
Jul 3, 2018
My nephew Mike said a lot of other interesting things. He was a country boy rural Missouri and like they say about country boys, especially those up in the hills, a country boy will survive. Apparently, his one legged step mother offered him a type of salvation he just couldn't bring himself to say no to. But Mike did know a lot about ugly women. Apparently, he knew some other things as well. But whether he knew how ugly a Marxman pipe could be, I can't assure you one way or the other. But as for me, I am here to tell you it is indeed an ugly pipe. But better than a one legged step mother, that I am sure of. Mike on the other hand might take umbrage with that statement.
Mike may have a point about ugly women:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri

E5C34B62-89D5-43AA-89D0-CF129D7E1144.jpeg

There’s a basement in that house, I watched my mother lean over and blow the pilot lights out of the propane furnace in October 1971, when I was was 13. Daddy had died in September, his last milk check came, propane was 32 cents a gallon, and Mama was determined we’d not burn any, except to heat water.

Out back there was a big woodpile, I used a double bitted axe to split firewood to heat the house.

I never did strike my mother, but when I was grown and saw a proper splitting maul I wanted to.:)

By the way, my mother lived to 84 and never once burned a stick of firewood after she’d put me through college.

We were not ever poor, just deathly afraid we would be.

I feel like a millionaire smoking a Pre 54 Marxman made of Algerian briar.

And, I don’t have to sell the farm, you know?

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri

“Why, Mr. Lee?, Why, why?.​

Why do you do it? Why, why post?.​

Why keep buying?.​

Do you believe you're buying...for something?.​

For more than your habit?.​

Can you tell me what it is?.​

Do you even know?; Is it quantity?, Or variety?.​

Perhaps quality?. Could it be for love?​

Illusions, Mr. Lee.​

Vagaries of perception.​

Temporary constructs of a feeble human intellect trying desperately to justify an existence that is without meaning or purpose.​

And all of them as artificial as this Forum itself, although... only a human mind could invent something as insipid as pipe collecting.​

You must be able to see it, Mr. Lee.​

You must know it by now, You can't succeed.​

It's pointless to keep buying.​

Why, Mr. Lee?.​

Why?, Why do you persist?​

I’ve always resisted the temptation to climb Mount Everest, or go sailing around the world, or make a trek to see the Dali Lama.

I did buy a little Japanese supercharged little red convertible sports car once, a former SCCA racer, but I had to hide it from my mother because she’d have made snide comments about Pearl Harbor and the Bataan Death March. After awhile I sold it, after my kids were all grown and my wife and I no longer looked glamorous riding in it.

But so long as they sell genuine Marxman Jumbo B pipes for $15 I’m buying every one I can.

I turn 65 in April and a man of my years ought to only smoke the best of American made pipes like Kaywoodies and Lees and Marxmans, and I have bunches of the others.

telescopes

I’ve always resisted the temptation to climb Mount Everest, or go sailing around the world, or make a trek to see the Dali Lama.

I did buy a little Japanese supercharged little red convertible sports car once, a former SCCA racer, but I had to hide it from my mother because she’d have made snide comments about Pearl Harbor and the Bataan Death March. After awhile I sold it, after my kids were all grown and my wife and I no longer looked glamorous riding in it.

But so long as they sell genuine Marxman Jumbo B pipes for $15 I’m buying every one I can.

I turn 65 in April and a man of my years ought to only smoke the best of American made pipes like Kaywoodies and Lees and Marxmans, and I have bunches of the others.
So you have chosen the green pill.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
MARXMAN PIPES ease the tension... the strain of battle, the breakneck pace in the office and factory. Men of action everywhere depend on MARXMAN PIPES to re-lax. ..to lighten the load!

1944 Popular Mechanics

D6A8CF65-F52E-4554-A851-78E9D7E07241.jpeg

My long stem hand carved Marxman B Jumbo came today and my pipe is way better smoking than yours is.

A curious bit of trivia about Marxman pipes is that cake doesn’t stick hard to the bowl walls. I cleaned the chamber up to new, and this pipe smokes so delicious it cannot be excelled and few can equal it.

Reactions: milk and Piping Abe

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I’ve already bought two three stars😉View attachment 214077
Lee pipes were finished to a higher polish and standard than Marxman, and if you’d never tried a Marxman you’d likely think Lees and pre war Kaywoodies were the best smoking pipes any factory ever made.

But once you’ve savored genuine, aged, and likely oil cured Algerian briar, you are spoiled.

Marxmans smoke better.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I am not certain one should rush to judgement stating Marxman pipes were oil cured. The briar is soft and the Dunhill patent on oil curing stated the process made the briar harder.

Another reason to question oil cured Marxman pipes is brand new examples are a very light shade of tan. Applying grapeseed or olive oil darkens them. Oil curing surely would involve at least slight darkening.

But on several of my fresher Marxman pipes, on their first smokes what looks like clear oil seeps out.

In any event they don’t really need break in, although there’s a slight, and pleasant briar taste for several smokes. And although they cake easily that cake is soft and scrapes entirely off, if desired.

I just won another Marxman, this one with the deluxe 400 style saddle bit, for $15.

These are severely undervalued.

C274EEBF-6D40-4BB9-BDB2-9BDAE8F96591.jpeg