PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Another reason to question oil cured Marxman pipes is brand new examples are a very light shade of tan. Applying grapeseed or olive oil darkens them. Oil curing surely would involve at least slight darkening.

But on several of my fresher Marxman pipes, on their first smokes what looks like clear oil seeps out.

In any event they don’t really need break in, although there’s a slight, and pleasant briar taste for several smokes. And although they cake easily that cake is soft and scrapes entirely off, if desired.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
When I ruminate on the mysteries of Algerian briar, it becomes apparent to me that Algeria is just some lines on a map the French drew a long time ago. All briar grown around the rim of the Mediterranean is the same species.

Yet during the first half of the last century the French promoted exports of briar from their colony of Algeria that gained a reputation like Kentucky bourbon, or Tennessee whiskey. It was a distinctive product, unlike other briar.

And like Kentucky bourbon, there had to have been grades and qualities of Algerian briar, the same as there are grades and qualities of Turkish meerschaum, or any other distinctive product.

All of it, was tan and most of it was soft, and rarely was it highly figured.

While the heath shrubs still grow in Algeria, the system for a high quality product labeled Algerian briar, is gone with the French Empire.

Reactions: telescopes

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
image.jpgimage.jpg
This Marxman Mel-O full bend is a fine example of what you are referring to when you write about Algerian briar. @The Algerian, has a few similar pipes - I obtained this one from him directly. The closest I ever have been to Algeria is Morocco, although if I could, I would love to visit there as well. Yves St. Laurent was originally from Algeria as well. Style is one of their exports I suppose.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
The Depression was so bad tobacco companies lowered the price of a pack of cigarettes from 15 cents to a dime.

25% of able bodied men were out of work.

By 1933 a thousand families a day were thrown in the street from foreclosures, in a nation with about a third our present population.

And Robert Marx started Marxman pipes, with cheapie being a $3.50 Mel-o.

A cheap briar pipe was fifty cents and a decent one was a dollar. Later there was a $2.50 Marxman but I think close to the end.

Compare a $3.50 Mel-o with a depression era $3.50 Kaywoodie Drinkless and it’s shocking how ugly and crude the Marxman is.

That there are so many Mel-o pipes still in existence says a lot a lot about Marx’s genius at promotion, and they tasted good, you know?

Reactions: telescopes

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I was able to add , a Dunsboro, to my purchase of the bent Jumbo, for combined shipping. A Dunsboro was an oil cured pipe the same price as a Mel-o.

52C14A66-4163-4688-8305-6C3F0C5CE984.jpeg

I own another ungraded Marxman close to this shape, which is either a Rhodesian or a ringed Prince, or maybe something in between.

It’s also a pretty pipe, as Marxmans run.:)

C783DE2F-F979-4AB5-B7D8-0F3BB11FCD0A.jpeg
48204396-DF09-4470-AF49-CA48DF41729E.jpeg

Last edited:

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Interesting pipes.
To rehash the oil curing of Marxman pipes, the $3.50 Dunsboro was advertised as being “specially cured with a deep hued oil (a secret formula) to give the grain a dark, rich walnut appearance.”

The one I bought doesn’t look much, if any darker, than most Marxmans smoked a few times.

So the regular production might well have been oil cured in clear oil.

Reactions: milk

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
To rehash the oil curing of Marxman pipes, the $3.50 Dunsboro was advertised as being “specially cured with a deep hued oil (a secret formula) to give the grain a dark, rich walnut appearance.”

The one I bought doesn’t look much, if any darker, than most Marxmans smoked a few times.

So the regular production might well have been oil cured in clear oil.
Using the ad as a jumping off point, ir is quite possible that this is the case - that Marx oil cured his briar stock. Marx had his own in house shop and workers. When he sold his brand, the factory workers ceased production on Marxman Pipes and the brand was sub contracted out to others as was the habit of MasterCraft pipes. Marx became a sales person and an executive with MasterCraft. He was also a health nut who had a Charles Atlas type body even at the age of 74 When he was still with MasterCraft.

Reactions: milk and Briar Lee

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Today my latest Marxman arrived and I’m pondering the reasons behind two mysteries of the brand.

The first is this well smoked pipe had a thick cake “more than the thickness of a dime” all around the chamber, evenly. Why does cake not stick to a Marxman? A couple of minutes work with a sharp pocketknife removed all the thick cake and left a smooth, perfect, brown chamber. And in my experience every Marxman is easy to clean back to like new in the chamber.

The second mystery is smoking Half and Half in this is like smoking Five Brothers in a Lee or other brand of pipe. I love it, I’m not complaining, but something either adds to or enables a rich, strong, bold, hearty, robust smoke in a Marxman.

If you want a light, sweet, easy smoke keep on moving past Marxmans.:)

CCF0F520-E05D-464C-94C6-12FF8D602AA3.jpegAEAE5CDE-BD41-4CD8-953C-1DE701320B62.jpegA29200B9-A465-47E2-BB62-E0EEDE40B7BA.jpeg190B46CE-CC05-4D6A-9358-0FFB446D0C46.jpeg485871BF-4F25-4CA5-9A16-316CA0E40DB1.jpeg

milk

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
All these pipes on eBay listed as “custombilt style” when they should say Marxman inspired? How does custombilt stack up? How did they cure their pipes and what kind of briar? Lots of hype around those.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Lee pipes were finished to a higher polish and standard than Marxman, and if you’d never tried a Marxman you’d likely think Lees and pre war Kaywoodies were the best smoking pipes any factory ever made.

But once you’ve savored genuine, aged, and likely oil cured Algerian briar, you are spoiled.

Marxmans smoke better.
But…..I bought the last sales pitch!!
I hope the three Lees I got garnered you a good Marxman!