PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
if the sign said no blacks with guns, no women with guns, no one arm white guys with guns allowed but regular white guys with guns are then you would have a problem. It's legal to smoke in your car and outside (most places) but you can not walk in a bar (or anywhere else in Ohio) and smoke. You can walk in a bar in Ohio while carrying concealed if you do not consume alcohol. again if you don't make a production out of it how would he know you were carrying?

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
To me it seems the reason for the dilemma is fear. Fear on the part of the shop owner to have a nasty gun in his shop. Fear on the part of the gun owner to be without his gun. Both may have a problem.

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
No reason for all the drama. You can solve this very easily. Go into the shop with a giant claymore sword, and full battle armour from the middle ages. Then order you toby, pipe, product or what ever, and pay with real gold in the exact wieght equal to the dollar value of the product.

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
Or you could build a giant rabbit and hide inside. Wait untill he pushes the rabbit into the shop then when he least expects it you, Lancelot, Gallahad, and I will leap out and take him completely by surprise.

metarzan

Nov 14, 2012
Okay where is this shop and how much is their Frog Morton Cellar?

ebklodt

Might Stick Around
Nov 9, 2012
I wonder what percentage of pipe and cigar smokers are pro 2nd ammendment/conceal carry and if the local merchant has any idea.
Granted, some feel so strongly about this issue as to not care to look at the numbers but in todays economic climate I would not limit my customer base with any restrictions.
I personally would disarm, make a purchase, and let the business owner know that I disagree with his position.
Leave him a card and ask that he let me know if he changes his mind and I'll be back. Otherwise there are too many shops, online or brick and mortar, that do not place limits on my rights.
Granted it is his right to ask that I not carry, but as a seller, he has the most to lose by limiting his clientel.

deithial

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2012
I think everyone is missing the entire point of this thread, the question is not "should you carry or not" but, and most importantly to all of us.
"What pipe tobacco where you planning to buy" "What pipe did you not purchase that day" or if all else "What tobacco can we send you since you where unable to purchase any that day?"
This is what is important to all of us.
Unless of coarse the gun doubles as a pipe lighter or a tamper, in that case, "pics are needed"

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Go over to st.charles, mo, its not too far to drive, john dengler tobaccos, they have a healthy selection. But to comment on principle, I'm pro carry, and have my ccw, but to not shop somewhere because they won't let you bring your gun into the store is a little ridiculous to me. You don't know their reasoning and are judging their choice with harshness probably undeserved. I have a friend who's daughter was murdered with a firearm, do you think he allows weapons in his business, no. And he is a gun owner. Do you still go to the court house to get stuff done? Of course you do. Do you have a gun on your person everywhere you go, no, you don't. It isn't allowed at church, in bars, federal and government buildings etc, but you probably still visit those. So to avoid a shop because they want no firearms inside is absurd.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Well said, Shaintiques.
It is also worth pointing out that the store owner may not be the building owner; he may well be leasing,and it's the policy of the landlord, not the tenant. Lots of shops rent.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
Well said, Shaintiques.
It is also worth pointing out that the store owner may not be the building owner; he may well be leasing,and it's the policy of the landlord, not the tenant. Lots of shops rent.
I would bet hanging that sign also make's a big difference in his liability insurance rates.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Good points, both Jud and Doc.
My place of employment is a major tourist destination, and our building is owned by the city. We have the official "gun-free zone" signs up, but we had the policy in place long before that. I'm reasonably certain this was handed to our security folks, and not necessarily something they're in favor of, but we all report to somebody...
I don't carry myself, but I do enjoy heading out to the range from time to time to see if my eyes have stabilized enough to use iron sights again. :(

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
You don't know their reasoning and are judging their choice with harshness probably undeserved
I was thinking just the same thing. Some people get nervous around guns, regardless of whether they're being used or why.

metarzan

Nov 14, 2012
I was thinking just the same thing. Some people get nervous around guns.
I used to get nervous around girls. I am sure all guys did at some point. But you fight through that shit and are rewarded in the end. On second thought, scratch that.

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
Something just seems odd to me so I have to ask. Why hide a gun on your body then brag or tell the world about it? Don't that offset having one concealed? Just the way I see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.