PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
Is it really worth buying?
I would like to know your point of view before I order. From where can I buy it?
Last time I bought one from the local store and was not satisfied so I tried to return it but the store refused to return it as it was used once. From where did you buy it? Can I get it from amazon because Amazon return policy is impressive
Bayboaz45,
I'm surprised that the B&M who sold you your Castello didn't offer a returns policy, it would of course had to have been discounted on your return, because it had been smoked, but then perhaps they don't trade estate pipes.
Anyways, as I'm sure you know, buying on-line can be a whole different experience. I would recommend that you check with the dealer about returns policy, if you've smoked it, etc. I don't mean to sound as if I'm teaching gran'ma to suck eggs here, but during the excitement of searching, finding and pulling the trigger on pipe, it sometimes gets forgotten.
catput has listed a couple of places in Italy where you can buy Castello, I've done business with them both before and have had great service.
To answer your question, "is it really worth buying?", I would say that if you like the shape & finish of the pipe you're looking at, and you are happy to part with a not inconsiderable amount of cash, then yes, absolutely, Castello's are great pipes. My only quibble, in fact I wouldn't go as far as to say that, if I'm completely honest, but a couple of guys have mentioned it, is that the button is larger than my Dunhill's pipes. Certainly no game changer and if you're any good with hand-tools, you could file and polish the excess to your preferred sizing.
Hope this helps with your decisions.

Reactions: ak2000 and dunnyboy

Grumpy11

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2022
Vero Beach Florida, Secretary, MD
Concerning the button, now that I'm smoking a Castello, it doesn't bother me at all and it would not stop me from owning one. I'm looking at the positives: acrylic stem, Italian style, very good quality, and open air hole. Dunhills are good and I own a few, but I like the Castello styling, and how many traditional style pipes can you own? Quite a few, I guess before you get tired of them.

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
Is it really worth buying?
I would like to know your point of view before I order. From where can I buy it?
Last time I bought one from the local store and was not satisfied so I tried to return it but the store refused to return it as it was used once. From where did you buy it? Can I get it from amazon because Amazon return policy is impressive
Of course, you have to like the shapes and sizes in the Castello lineup but they are very high quality pipes, with good QC (no company is perfect), and, in my experience, worth the money as "affordable luxury." They don't necessarily smoke better than some less expensive pipes, but neither do more expensive pipes from marquee carvers. You might try to sell the pipe you've smoked to smokingpipes.com estates and use the credit towards a new or used Castello.

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
Of course, you have to like the shapes and sizes in the Castello lineup but they are very high quality pipes, with good QC (no company is perfect), and, in my experience, worth the money as "affordable luxury." They don't necessarily smoke better than some less expensive pipes, but neither do more expensive pipes from marquee carvers. You might try to sell the pipe you've smoked to smokingpipes.com estates and use the credit towards a new or used Castello.
Good idea, dunnyboy, I hadn't thought of suggesting Bayboaz45 send his Castello to SP.

Reactions: ak2000 and dunnyboy

Grumpy11

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2022
I went to the local pipe shop in Vero Beach yesterday. I looked for the shape 34 but he didn't have one. He had a shape 5 estate for $100. It was mint condition so I bought it. Good deal in my opinion. He also has 5 or 6 new ones, one of which really caught my eye. It is pricey, but I may go back for it. I'll post some pictures after I get them all together. That will make 4, which will be my limit this year!

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
I went to the local pipe shop in Vero Beach yesterday. I looked for the shape 34 but he didn't have one. He had a shape 5 estate for $100. It was mint condition so I bought it. Good deal in my opinion. He also has 5 or 6 new ones, one of which really caught my eye. It is pricey, but I may go back for it. I'll post some pictures after I get them all together. That will make 4, which will be my limit this year!
Good job, Grumpy51!
I appreciate yo taking a look for a 34, I haven't seen any for sale, ever.

Reactions: ak2000

Grumpy11

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2022
Okay, so I've blown my pipe smoking annual budget in a few weeks on four Castello's. One estate and three new ones. I'll follow up soon with photos. They all smoke nicely. I'm breaking them in right now with Newminster Virginia slices. I bought a new rusticated billiard which had caught my eye last week. The Pipe Den in Vero Beach had 5 or six new ones, two of which I liked. There was one left today so I bought it.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I'm sure I'm repeating myself but, I bought my first Castello in 1963 for $25. It looks like this one below and I still smoke it. I like the shape so much I have 4 more just like it. Because the first one is my most cherished pipe I have my name stamped on the the bottom so I can always tell it from the others. By they way, they all have the registration on them. puffy

castello30.jpg

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
I've owned many Castellos but had only one that I didn't enjoy smoking. It was a pristine Collection "chubby Canadian" estate with a really large chamber. I bought it from Neat Pipes when they were still operating and sold it to SP. Go figure, I just bought 4 more 33 pots from the 75th Anniversary release that have virtually the same dimensions. Like most Castellos, they smoke great.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I've owned many Castellos but had only one that I didn't enjoy smoking. It was a pristine Collection "chubby Canadian" estate with a really large chamber. I bought it from Neat Pipes when they were still operating and sold it to SP. Go figure, I just bought 4 more 33 pots from the 75th Anniversary release that have virtually the same dimensions. Like most Castellos, they smoke great.
Guess I've been lucky. Never had a Castello that didn't smoke good. puffy

Reactions: dunnyboy and isaac

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Tabaccheria Corti will be getting my money, when I see one I like.

Luca, goes to Castello often, and personally picks them out for their business! ?

isaac

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 18, 2012
Portland, OR
Tabaccheria Corti will be getting my money, when I see one I like.

Luca, goes to Castello often, and personally picks them out for their business! ?

cant go wrong with Luca.

Reactions: dunnyboy and PipeIT
Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
I love those 75th Anniversary pipes you've been posting. Beautiful pipes for a fantastic collection

Reactions: dunnyboy