PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Said.ALTINAY

Might Stick Around
I also recently bought my first Meerschaum from Altinay. Very happy overall, and extremely fast delivery in my case (I think it was 2 days from TR to DK). Just as discussed in other threads I had a strong chemical smell after the first few bowls, but this has now normalized. Also: for my next one I might go for slightly thicker material since I often puff fast, and this pipe is getting quite hot fast.View attachment 62463
Hello @goldenmole , thanks for your comment.
Due to the mineral structure of meerschaum, heat conduction is higher than briar.
This could be one of the reasons why you feel too much heat.
Another reason may be that the tobacco dries quickly and burns hot due to the highly absorbent structure of meerschaum.
And the smell that disturbing you in the first few bowls is very likely the smell of fresh beeswax. (smells even more intense when overheated)

Enjoy your meerschaum...

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Received the SRV Bulldog today. Beautiful, elegant pipe. Fit and finish is near flawless, love the lines on this pipe. The stem is thicker than I would prefer but isn't going to be a big issue. The folks at Meerschaum Market drilled it to 4mm for me before shipping, pipes cleaner goes in and out effortlessly.

IMP, Altinay and SRV are clearly 3 excellent Meerschaum brands to choose from. Only have 1 of each so I can't give any one a definitive heads up. I can say though I will be first looking at Altinay for new Meerschaum purchases. Kind of like choosing between Jack Howell, Jose Rubio and Rad Davis. Hard to go wrong with any of those.

IMG_2390.jpg

Here's my own pic of the Altinay. Love this pipe.

IMG_2387.jpg

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Congrats...beautiful meer.

I picked up my first Altinay a few months ago I guess it was, and have been very impressed with it.

I just ordered these two in the last week or so...first one arrived today...has the same type of tenon as the previous pipe...these are the first meers I've had with this configuration...very open draw.

View attachment 62451
View attachment 62452

The second one is still on the way...my first spigot.

View attachment 62453
View attachment 62454

Just an update on these. I have the spigot now as well...amazingly fast delivery from Turkey on all 3 I've purchased from them.

I normally smoke a new pipe within a day or two of receiving it, but this spigot is the first time I'm a little hesitant. It's just so beautiful and perfect...but I'll probably initiate it this weekend sometime.

I've had 3 or 4 bowls in the Dublin now. Smokes wonderfully...light as a feather and very comfortable.

Both of these have the same exquisite stem work as the first one I purchased from them. I have not owned any pipes with more comfortable and well shaped stems than these. The buttons are just right.

The drilling on all 3 is spot on as well...and solid, tight construction.

I have a number of meers from several different makers, all of varying quality, and right now I'd definitely recommend Altinay as first choice for anyone looking to acquire one.

Said.ALTINAY

Might Stick Around
Just an update on these. I have the spigot now as well...amazingly fast delivery from Turkey on all 3 I've purchased from them.

I normally smoke a new pipe within a day or two of receiving it, but this spigot is the first time I'm a little hesitant. It's just so beautiful and perfect...but I'll probably initiate it this weekend sometime.

I've had 3 or 4 bowls in the Dublin now. Smokes wonderfully...light as a feather and very comfortable.

Both of these have the same exquisite stem work as the first one I purchased from them. I have not owned any pipes with more comfortable and well shaped stems than these. The buttons are just right.

The drilling on all 3 is spot on as well...and solid, tight construction.

I have a number of meers from several different makers, all of varying quality, and right now I'd definitely recommend Altinay as first choice for anyone looking to acquire one.
@brian64 thank you very much for your very precious review. (I will share it on my testimonial page with your permission)
Enjoy your meerschaums...

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
Thanks for the review. Ive been looking to purchase my first meerschaum pipe but was having a hard time finding one that I liked and was available as a 9mm. This Altinay shop seems to have plenty of options in that category.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Thanks for the review. Ive been looking to purchase my first meerschaum pipe but was having a hard time finding one that I liked and was available as a 9mm. This Altinay shop seems to have plenty of options in that category.
I have 3 of their 9mm pipes and if you're used to filter pipes, I think you'll like these. They are really nice meers of quality construction.

I've never used filters, and never had a filter pipe before these. I've been disappointed with a few of the meers I purchased in the past due to restricted airways. My first two Altinays smoke great for me without filters, but the third is a bit too open...still experimenting, but may end up using a filter with it...want to see how it does with some slower burning blends first, as well as those cone bowl filters.

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
Got mine in the mail yesterday. 3 days from Turkey to south Mississippi is pretty unbelievable. And you're right, the pictures don't do the pipes justice. I was surprised at how nice the piece was in person, you really get the sense you're holding something of high quality.

20210318_103951.jpg20210318_103917.jpg

Said.ALTINAY

Might Stick Around

goldenmole

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2019
Copenhagen DK
Snapped up this little beauty on the Weekend, and already delivered in DK even if I had to pay import duty/VAT before it was released (that's the risk if ordering from outside the EU). I wanted a classic shaped silver Spigot for a more robust handling of my constant filter changes. The only slight issue I have is that I am not happy with the switch from hard fitted cases to pouches. I don't use expensive boxes or nice looking pouches, so this will make me think twice before I just throw the pipe in my bag on the way out.

20210407_132907.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.