PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

milk

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
I see. The video makes it seem like an amateur could do it with a router and sandpaper. But I would hesitate. I could send it and pay or maybe someone wants to trade something. Maybe someone is interested. So, Georged is really the person in the video? Hello friend! Is that you? That’s a great video.
I mean I couldn’t make a stem but the shank I could try.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
As far as recreating sand blast after sanding, it’s something that takes a lot of practice. It’s not something somebody who has not developed the skill can just pickup and do after watching a video.

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
As far as recreating sand blast after sanding, it’s something that takes a lot of practice. It’s not something somebody who has not developed the skill can just pickup and do after watching a video.
I see. Yes. That’s logical. I’d ruin it. One needs lots of skill. Well, I’d like to do something with this pipe. I can’t leave it the way it is.

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
Often the mark of real skill is making it look easy.
He does sort of tell and show you and do it in a way that makes it look easy. It’s good for people looking to get into it but not for someone like me who wants to fix one pipe. But it amazes me that it CAN be done.I really need to get it to someone who wants it or wants to work with it. It really bothers me to look at it sitting here in this sorry condition.

Alejo R.

Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Yup. the button crease is wrong, and also the lip thickness front-to-back. Both are post-patent-era traits.

Do you have a shot of the tenon/stemface transition? Unless it has a crisp 45-degree shoulder, that would also be wrong for the production period.

View attachment 196109
The 6 implies that the mouthpiece was changed at Dunhill. This pipe shape is with a tepared stem and at the request of the buyer it was changed for a saddle. It is not a repair, it is made to suit the client.

Alejo R.

Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Milk.
I think the obvious answer to your pipe is that it is a Frankenpipe (something I take stolen from Frankenwatch watches) they have made a Dunhill pipe out of 2 broken Dunhill pipes. It is not something out of the ordinary, neither for smokers to keep a pipe in use nor for resellers who buy lots. As you have been told before, the two pieces are original, but they do not belong together. I say this because whoever can make the White spot can also make the mouthpiece fit better than that mouthpiece. The bad thing is having paid 100 for it. That being said, it is a nice pipe.

Reactions: milk

Alejo R.

Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
True.
and probably someone with that skill can make a much tighter replacement stem as well

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
Milk.
I think the obvious answer to your pipe is that it is a Frankenpipe (something I take stolen from Frankenwatch watches) they have made a Dunhill pipe out of 2 broken Dunhill pipes. It is not something out of the ordinary, neither for smokers to keep a pipe in use nor for resellers who buy lots. As you have been told before, the two pieces are original, but they do not belong together. I say this because whoever can make the White spot can also make the mouthpiece fit better than that mouthpiece. The bad thing is having paid 100 for it. That being said, it is a nice pipe.
I see what you mean. Hmm…feel like if it were a different shape it would be easier to do something with it that would be pleasing, for example, a mount of some sort. Or I maybe I can find someone who can do some work on it for me, like sanding the shank and re-making the blast effect and making a new mouthpiece.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
He does sort of tell and show you and do it in a way that makes it look easy. It’s good for people looking to get into it but not for someone like me who wants to fix one pipe. But it amazes me that it CAN be done.I really need to get it to someone who wants it or wants to work with it. It really bothers me to look at it sitting here in this sorry condition.
Oh seriously until the internet started allowing people to show their pipe restorations my idea of a pipe that is done and might as well be buried was a lot wider and broader then it is now. Or in other words the number of pipes I've seen people (even here and even sometimes the cheapo pipe they bought to learn restoration) bring back from what I would have thought was dead dead dead is amazing. Hell even my oldest pipe looks a little bit newer from small things I picked up here, and before that I thought anything to make it look newer would have been a lot more intensive. By the way not really that much of a handy man. I fit into the level called really everyone should know how to do this and no one should ever get paid to fix that for you.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Reminds me of a guy who showed me the $50 Rolex he bought in Mexico! Point being, he still wears it and it works, even though it really isn't a Rolex!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
To people who don't know pipes, an expensive pipe can look like just an outmoded smoking tool of negligible value, so they only want a dollar or two. It's like an old hand eggbeater or a stove-top coffee percolator. Those pipes are lucky buys, since you can see them for sale for $200 or more, the same pipes. That's the only way I'd buy a White Spot, probably at a yard sale or antique shop, where I could actually view and handle the item. I don't pine for one, so it would have to be a chance purchase.

I agree with the posts that see the original post photo as a replacement stem. The stems are made with the pipes and fit precisely if they are original. Any brand, not just these.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I once purchased (from an area antique mall) an estate 1985 Dunhill Shell briar Zulu identical to the one pictured below. The price? $5.00.

Back in 2009 a lady in upstate New York saw a big pipe on a card table at a church fundraiser yard sale. It was wedged between a stack of dusty books and some Tupperware.
She held it up with a questioning look---her husband was a pipe smoker---and the sale organizer said "One dollar".

She took it home.

Her husband, purely by coincidence, knew me from pipeshows, so MY phone rang.

Final outcome? The pipe was the one-and-only, thought-to-have-been-lost-forever Dunhill ODD Tanshell. Never smoked, new condition. Originally made as a dealer display showpiece.

Sold for $7100 on eBay.

She was a very happy lady. puffy

• Wow
Reactions: Honkytonk Man

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
thanks everyone who commented here. I really appreciate it. I’m not sure if I am in the wrong on this but I did get the store who sold this to take it back. They apologized and said it’s a consignment item. I don’t know. This is Japan and sometimes people apologize when they don’t have to. They said they should have checked it more closely. Maybe I should have asked more questions. I don’t know. I don’t feel blameless but they agreed to take it back. I hope they will include what is known now if they sell it again. It’s one thing to have a replacement stem, another to have a sanded down shank. Thanks again for all your patience and attention.

Reactions: MattRVA

Alejo R.

Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
thanks everyone who commented here. I really appreciate it. I’m not sure if I am in the wrong on this but I did get the store who sold this to take it back. They apologized and said it’s a consignment item. I don’t know. This is Japan and sometimes people apologize when they don’t have to. They said they should have checked it more closely. Maybe I should have asked more questions. I don’t know. I don’t feel blameless but they agreed to take it back. I hope they will include what is known now if they sell it again. It’s one thing to have a replacement stem, another to have a sanded down shank. Thanks again for all your patience and attention.
The responsibility for the publication to be clear and include all the information rests with the seller.