PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

milk

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
Rich at Briarville has made many stems for Dunhill. His stems have been inspected by Dunhill and have passed muster. You may want to contact him for a replacement stem made to that pipe. Personally, if I had an issue with any of the seven Dunhill's I smoke, I wouldn't hesitate to contact him.
Thanks. Does anyone know someone in Europe who does it? Shipping to Europe is cheaper.

Last edited:

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I’m beginning to think so. This looks like a stem from a different pipe or a poorly made replacement.
either way it's a decent pipe. And you can still get your own replacement that suits it better. And one problem with pipes on e-bay is how little some sellers know. Also one of the best things. You can't tell in some cases if the person is lying or just ignorant.

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
either way it's a decent pipe. And you can still get your own replacement that suits it better. And one problem with pipes on e-bay is how little some sellers know. Also one of the best things. You can't tell in some cases if the person is lying or just ignorant.
That’s true about sellers. The easiest thing is probably for me to sell it on a site here in Japan as a ‘75 Dunhill with a Replacement Stem. I don’t really love it the way it is. Otherwise I’d have to send it to the U.S. It’s just that U.S. shipping has become very expensive. I wish I could trade it for something but I’m kind of doubting that the stem is good enough for smokingpipes. Maybe I should contact Rebornpipes. They just sent me two pipes and they’re the best people I’ve ever dealt with. Europe is cheaper to deal with shipping.

Reactions: anotherbob

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
That’s true about sellers. The easiest thing is probably for me to sell it on a site here in Japan as a ‘75 Dunhill with a Replacement Stem. I don’t really love it the way it is. Otherwise I’d have to send it to the U.S. It’s just that U.S. shipping has become very expensive. I wish I could trade it for something but I’m kind of doubting that the stem is good enough for smokingpipes. Maybe I should contact Rebornpipes. They just sent me two pipes and they’re the best people I’ve ever dealt with. Europe is cheaper to deal with shipping.
Instead of perpetuating the chain of uncertainty, contact the seller for refund. If that doesn't work, contact eBay and tell them the seller didn't clearly explained the situation. Usually eBay will side with buyer. All else fails, get the credit card company involved and get your money back. It's not very nice to pass on that pipe to another brother of briar.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Instead of perpetuating the chain of uncertainty, contact the seller for refund. If that doesn't work, contact eBay and tell them the seller didn't clearly explained the situation. Usually eBay will side with buyer. All else fails, get the credit card company involved and get your money back. It's not very nice to pass on that pipe to another brother of briar.
nothing wrong with the pipe. Just the listing. If it's sold as what it is then nothing is wrong with that.

Reactions: bullet08
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
The replacement stem is unfortunate if you were expecting something 100% Dunhill. If you can't return it to the seller, is it worth the time and effort and taking a loss selling it yourself? Have you considered just smoking it and trying to enjoy and use it in a "tool" capacity? It might be a decent pipe for knocking around that you don't feel the need to be precious about—just something to consider.

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
I’m in Japan and got this on yahoo auction Japan. The fact that they had a cheap “buy it now” option, and that it looked funny in the picture and didn’t have a pic with the stem on straight, should have been more than enough. I was greedy. I dismissed my misgivings and now i’m paying the price. It’s much more trouble than it’s worth to try to complain now and I think it’s my fault really.
True. But if the OP can get his money back without involving another smoker, at least to me, better.
If I sold it I’d say “replacement stem” and show it more clearly.
The replacement stem is unfortunate if you were expecting something 100% Dunhill. If you can't return it to the seller, is it worth the time and effort and taking a loss selling it yourself? Have you considered just smoking it and trying to enjoy and use it in a "tool" capacity? It might be a decent pipe for knocking around that you don't feel the need to be precious about—just something to consider.
I’m just too “OCD” about it. I’m thinking someone might like this as is or with a better replacement. I might try to trade it to someone who wants to deal with it. I don’t mind taking a small loss or making the same back towards another pipe maybe. This stem isn’t the worst but it’s not the way it should or could be…4F45507F-308D-4B71-8E36-F006BBBB9E19.jpeg1496E521-AA7B-4026-848F-C9EA5B54C731.jpeg

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
True. But if the OP can get his money back without involving another smoker, at least to me, better.
true. Though it's still legit if you ask me in a way. I guess I never rode the Dunhill hype train, they're pipes seem more average plus just a little. Though I love the way in collectable markets there are pieces that are close enough. The fact something keeps it from being worth it to a collect but still close enough. Like when I was a kid and bought comics with my allowance. I'd love getting a rare comic in damaged but fully readable and not gross condition. I still got to own that piece at a price I could afford and a condition that was fine because I could put back some allowance for a while you know instead of completely unobtainable.

Reactions: bullet08

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
For anyone following this thread for educational purposes (for lack of a better term):

After seeing the side profile shots there is zero doubt that the stem is not original to the pipe, and that if it is a legit "recycled" Dunhill stem, it was significantly reworked/reshaped (and not well).

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
For anyone following this thread for educational purposes (for lack of a better term):

After seeing the side profile shots there is zero doubt that the stem is not original to the pipe, and that if it is a legit "recycled" Dunhill stem, it was significantly reworked/reshaped (and not well).
Are you 100% sure it isn't the elusive 1/64th bent Canadian? :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: jpmcwjr

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013

Since pictures are supposed to be worth a thousand words:

1 -- shank and stem not axially aligned

2 -- stem top and bottom lines show "bloat" when viewed in profile

mmmmm.png
Screen Shot 2023-01-20 at 4.29.03 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
You got an education that cost $100. Many times the cost of an education is much more than that.

So I'd just smoke the pipe and enjoy it for what it's worth. Or modify it on your own to suit your needs. It's not like we're talking about a one-off rare Dunhill here.
Thanks. I’ve had moments of getting more upset about it but your perspective is best. It’s not that big of a deal in the grand scheme. You’re right. I know a bit more now. Live and learn. There’s plenty to enjoy.

Alejo R.

Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
I think I will try to find someone who may like it better. I’m not in love with it. It’s been a learning experience though. What I’m confused about is who made this stem. It has the white dot, it’s a nice vulcanite stem that was used/enjoyed by someone quite a bit. It actually feels noticeably different/better quality. I mean I really noticed that the stem seems to be a good quality stem. But is it a Dunhill stem? It has the dot.
Dot is easy to do. Comoy's three dot inlay, that's difficult

Reactions: milk

Alejo R.

Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
The bar is not set at "collector grade" height, however.

They allow shank leveling and tape-thickness-height stem face overlap, for example.

Either of which screams replacement.

They also allow an un-radiused button/bite zone convergence angle, a too-pointed button face profile, an improperly radiused funnel & slot, and (if applicable) the ABSENCE of the 45-degree tenon/stem face connection found on pre-1970's pipes.

All instant replacement giveaways.

In short, the old phrase "close enough for government work" applies.

Fine for tobacco access device users who happen to like Dunhills and are happy with an 80% or so match---which is doubtless the majority of Dunhill smokers---but NOT the sort of workmanship that retains the value of a collectable.

I'm mentioning it because the "Dunhill Approved Repair Shop" phrase has caused many owners to unwittingly submit their pipes for destruction in collectable value terms (via shank leveling), and/or end up with a stem they are disappointed with.
I have a Dunhill from the 50s, with the stem changed in Dunhill (the change is engraved on the pipe) and it is by all accounts a perfect job

Reactions: milk

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I have a Dunhill from the 50s, with the stem changed in Dunhill (the change is engraved on the pipe) and it is by all accounts a perfect job

The home shop's work tends to be better than what's done at their "satellite" shops around the world.

That said, I'm willing to bet an in-hand examination of your pipe would show one or more of the indications of non-originality I listed. ;)