PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
Watching the latest Bond film, No Time to Die - there was a scene in the MI-6 office with paintings on the wall. One was Judy Dench’s M, the other was of the old M (1983-89) Robert Brown, and he had a pipe dangling from his mouth in the oil painting.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

anantaandroscoggin

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
It seems to have become a cliché in Japanese manga and anime that often (not always) when the good guys decide to spy on the bad guys (or on their friends' budding romance) that a short shot of them appears with them all in deerstalker caps and holding a pipe.

Pooh-Bah

Can't Leave
Apr 21, 2023
Central Maryland
It seems to have become a cliché in Japanese manga and anime that often (not always) when the good guys decide to spy on the bad guys (or on their friends' budding romance) that a short shot of them appears with them all in deerstalker caps and holding a pipe.
Gonna be honest, my interest in the pipe originated not from Sherlock or Gandalf, but from the anime girls Victorique de Blois from Gosick (detective, wields a bent billiard of either ceramic or maybe painted meer) and Beatrice the Golden Witch from Umineko (evil witch who, in place of a magic wand, uses a long kiseru pipe).
Having written that now, I suddenly see why my first three pipes were, in order: a bent billiard, a meer, and a long kiseru.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I watched the movie Looking for Mister Goodbar" The first "lover" is a college professor and he smokes a pipe in a few scenes, as well as being a general piece of poo. But he has to be because well everyone has to be a suspect.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Gonna be honest, my interest in the pipe originated not from Sherlock or Gandalf, but from the anime girls Victorique de Blois from Gosick (detective, wields a bent billiard of either ceramic or maybe painted meer) and Beatrice the Golden Witch from Umineko (evil witch who, in place of a magic wand, uses a long kiseru pipe).
Having written that now, I suddenly see why my first three pipes were, in order: a bent billiard, a meer, and a long kiseru.
For me it was Richard Scary. And now I know why I really want to teach animals to smoke pipes.

Reactions: Pooh-Bah

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
I only read through page 7, so if it's been mentioned or not I dunno. It's a TV series and not a movie, but R. Lee Ermey smokes a pipe (a Peterson I think) in the first few episodes of "The Adventures of Brisco County Jr." (1993-1994) in almost every scene he's in. Can't seem to find any screenshots though and the scenes aren't on YouTube.

The only shot I found on a Google search and all you can see is the stem as he's got his hand wrapped around the bowl:
brisco08.jpg

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Not exactly a "pipe" but take a look in the lower left corner of the pic and you'll see a can of Raleigh. This image was taken about 50 years ago and the can looks just like todays.

This image is from one of the videos about Dick Proenneke, a truly fascinating guy. If you're interested, a little looking on the net should find them. puffy

Im4tgage1.jpg