PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
In the Murder She Wrote episode "From Russia ... with Blood" John Rhys Davies plays a British Intelligence Station Chief in the U.S. and smokes a couple of pipes; If I recall correctly, a straight bulldog and a bent rhodesian ... and he has a large tin of Granger on his desk ! Here's a podcast of his window:

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
In the Poirot episode Murder on the Links Poirot accepts a bet with Captain Giraud --- Poirot's mustache against Giraud's pipe --- to whoever solves the murder first. Its Porot's series so obviously he won: The pipe is a 1/4 bent billiard. In the first half of the episode it appears to be partially rusticated with a yellow amber stem but the entire second half it appears to be black rusticated with a reddish amber stem. Is it a trick of the lighting or are there two different pipes ??? Curious... maybe a prop error.

Any ideas on the maker ???1678245395005.png

1678245639693.png

Templekeeper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2023
Toronto
I had not taken notice until a seller for Capri's Warlok 3 pointed this out:
Mickey Rourke's "Tool" in Expendables
maxresdefault.jpg
The-Expendables-Tool-Quote-1.png

mickey-rourke-expendables.jpg

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
I've been watching Columbo on the Roku channel recently and that series was full of smoking. Besides Columbo's ever present cigars, there are also lots of other cigar smokers, cigarette smokers and pipe smokers in the series. Most episodes have at least one pipe sighting.

In season 3, episode 6, Mind Over Mayhem, the victim is a pipe smoker with a seven day pipe rack, and the missing pipe from the rack plays a key role in solving the murder.

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
I've been watching Columbo on the Roku channel recently and that series was full of smoking. Besides Columbo's ever present cigars, there are also lots of other cigar smokers, cigarette smokers and pipe smokers in the series. Most episodes have at least one pipe sighting.

In season 3, episode 6, Mind Over Mayhem, the victim is a pipe smoker with a seven day pipe rack, and the missing pipe from the rack plays a key role in solving the murder.
Yeah! That's right.
It was run over by a car, driven by the murderer, Dr. Marshall Cahill, played by José Ferrer. He of Laurence of Arabia fame, where he played the twisted & sadistic Turkish officer, who has TE Laurence flogged. Great actor!

Reactions: Briar Tuck

Hidiho

Lurker
May 25, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
Watched the 2022 movie "Devotion" the other week, it's set in the Korean war about U.S. Navy Wingmen..

There is a scene 2/3rds of the way through the movie where the captain opens a regular Zippo lighter (off camera but you hear the distinctive zippo sound) and then proceeds to lift the lighter up into shot before striking to light his pipe.

First time I've seen a zippo used to light a pipe in a movie...

Devotion [2022].jpg

NEmery

Lurker
Dec 31, 2019
Beaufort, SC
Not sure if it ever shows anyone actually smoking a pipe, but I know the pipes are in a rack on the Mantle in several scenes of Mary Poppins and in one scene "Mr Banks" selects his pipe before pouring a proper drink.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
In the BBC series SHERLOCK, Holmes' pipe is conspicuous by it's absence. Instead, he is shown with several nicotine patches on his arm. I'm sorry, but that's such a sell out to "political correctness". The pilot of the series "A Study in Pink" was great, but the series slowly went down hill from there. Damn shame! puffy

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton

I just re-watched that episode ... I believe Columbo smoked Garcia Y Vega Grenadiers throughout the series. The Doctor in the episode allegedly smoked 'cubans' but they also had a green wrapper so probably the larger version of the GYV panetellas were used. The boy genius in the episode was named Steven Spellberg which was an inside joke if i remember correctly a young Steven Spielberg directed it. Jose Ferrar is always great and a young Jessica Walter was most pleasant ! The murder victims pipe rack was labeled Sunday through Saturday. All the pipes were straight billiards. ! Great episode ! Be careful where you leave your matches !!

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I just re-watched that episode ... I believe Columbo smoked Garcia Y Vega Grenadiers throughout the series. The Doctor in the episode allegedly smoked 'cubans' but they also had a green wrapper so probably the larger version of the GYV panetellas were used. The boy genius in the episode was named Steven Spellberg which was an inside joke if i remember correctly a young Steven Spielberg directed it. Jose Ferrar is always great and a young Jessica Walter was most pleasant ! The murder victims pipe rack was labeled Sunday through Saturday. All the pipes were straight billiards. ! Great episode ! Be careful where you leave your matches !!
The thing about the COLUMBO series that was good was the character himself. Actually the stories were rather weak, especially the endings. Columbo would figure out who the culprit was, accuse them, and they would spill their guts admitting everything. If they just kept their trap shut a sharp lawyer could have likely got them off.

Last edited: