PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

tg51

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2017
Fort Polk, LA
Not sure if it's been mentioned yet but the Bing Crosby Documentary "Bing Crosby: Rediscovered" has some great scenes of him smoking.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Stanley Kubrick‘s „Barry Lyndon“ has a scene, where the protagonist annoys his wife in the coach with a clay pipe. Though he does not care too much.

barry-lyndon-1.jpg
That is against the rules of Lace Wars, smoking in the presence of ladies and blowing smoke in their faces!

anantaandroscoggin

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
Episode 8 of the first Doctor, William Hartnell, titled The Reign of Terror has one of the French conspirators handling and smoking his clay pipe through several of the 6 episodes of that story.

There is a Japanese anime of 85 episodes, Robotech: The Macross Saga, where the ship's captain hauls out his pipe often, even being reminded in the first episode by one of his bridge crew, "Captain, there's no smoking on the bridge."

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes and Murder By Decree both have some rather amusing Holmes smoking his pipe scenes. The latter is quite fun where Holmes uses Watson's hypodermic syringe to unblock his pipe and leaves the bent wreckage on the table for Watson to find! rotf

Jun 23, 2019
I've been catching up on a lot of old films during the lockdown and can't help but notice the pipe scenes (and that usually leads me to packing a bowl).

Here's Charlie, in one of his short films from 1916-1917, smoking and playing:
9k43sjfl.jpg

Reactions: dcon and jpmcwjr

Eaglesgift

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2020
Chiang Mai
I was watching Live and Let Die again yesterday and although it’s not a good pipe smoking film, there are a couple of scenes with characters smoking pipes. The one that caught my eye was Strutter, the CIA agent. As a newbie, I’m not sure if it’s a Liverpool or a Canadian (I think a Canadian?) but it caught my eye because I’d just recently said I don’t like billiards with long shanks but since seeing this one in action, I’ve changed my mind.

Screenshot_20200601-225117_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The Crown. About halfway through the third season, Harold Effing Wilson is shown with a pipe in a cabinet meeting. The stem is upside down! It'a a 1/8th bent or less, but clearly no one involved in shooting that sequence has a clue about pipe smoking. (I've a feeling this was mentioned before)

vates

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2019
SAS: Rogue Heroes

Sir Archibald David Stirling smokes a nice billiard.

slavman68

Lurker
Oct 10, 2022
In Disney's Mr. Toad, theres a couple scenes of Ratty smoking a pipe. Basil of Baker Street from Disney's The Great Mouse Detective smokes a calabash.

Reactions: anotherbob