PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

writingraav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 11, 2018
(RE: Caine Mutiny, and Fred McMurray, a pipe smoker)

Unless I nodded off at critical points, there was no puffing by McMurray. But great flick.
Yeah. I was surprised. Somehow I remember him, smoking a pipe in this movie. I suggested to my wife that perhaps they had edited all the smoking out but she thought I was being ridiculous.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yeah. I was surprised. Somehow I remember him, smoking a pipe in this movie. I suggested to my wife that perhaps they had edited all the smoking out but she thought I was being ridiculous.
Not ridiculous at all, sadly, though in this instance I didn't see any cutaways that would have suggested recent editing.

Reactions: writingraav
Aug 14, 2012
Night and Day has a few scenes with Bing Crosby smoking Crosbys. But the real star of that film was Louis Armstrong.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Lots of pipe smoking in this documentary of some aspects of WWI.
They Shall Not Grow Old. (HBO)

How about the monster the fellow on the right is clenching?

Archival film remastered, colored and audio enhanced. Nicely done.

wwi-jpg.7100

Last edited:

mikey517

Lurker
Jul 27, 2019
NJ

Maigret staring Rowan Atkinson as a French detective in 1950's Paris. He pipes a lot. The series is beautifully filmed. Two seasons available on BritBox and series has been picked up by Ovation TV

carlomarx

Can't Leave
Oct 29, 2011
State College,PA
" The Bad and the Beautiful", staring Kirk Douglas, Lana Turner, Walter Pidgeon and Dick Powell. Powell plays a novelist turned screenwriter and is smoking or packing a pipe in every scene he is in.