PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Last real tear jerker I saw was "When the Last Sword is Drawn". Samurai movie about this poor samurai getting sick of being poor, or siding with Shogun instead of changing time. Damn, seriously just a pitiful sucker of a samurai. Good with sword, but on the wrong side, Shinsengumi.

Reactions: vosBghos and yanoJL

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
Quite a number of episodes of the old 'Combat!' series, set in WW2.
I'd sometimes watch them with my dad, a combat vet, as a kid, though I didn't understand them all back then. Some really good stories and human situations.

Reactions: yanoJL

Flatfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
Not a movie, but Deep Space Nine - The Visitor.
Jake Sisko devoting his life to rescue his dad. Losing everything including his own life at the end.

• Love
Reactions: Kobold

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
Most of today's movies make me cry when I realize how much money I spent at the movie house for a formulaic and uninspired plot played out by actors without depth and any organic ability to connect with the character to drive the plot. My wife forbids me from verbalizing any plot predictions because 9 out of 10 times I predict correctly what happens next. It's funny. When I was younger I looked toward the future and now that I am older I look toward the past. I'm starting to realize I have more miles behind me than in front.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
If we’re talking tears of laughter Melissa McCarthy’s Spy has a number of crude scenes that made me cry. Wit will make me laugh but not evoke the same visceral response as well done raunch, usually incorporating elements of surprise and incongruity.

If we’re talking tears of catharsis there are many films; for me the key thing they have in common is well executed scenes revolving around themes of sacrifice and redemption.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
If we’re talking tears of laughter Melissa McCarthy’s Spy has a number of crude scenes that made me cry. Wit will make me laugh but not evoke the same visceral response as well done raunch, usually incorporating elements of surprise and incongruity.

If we’re talking tears of catharsis there are many films; for me the key thing they have in common is well executed scenes revolving around themes of sacrifice and redemption.
Tears of Laughter, Dumb and Dumber when they eat hot sauce and start squirting ketchup and mustard into their mouths trying to cool down, ridiculous.