PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

milk

Lifer
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
Musicals get me emotional for some reason. Not for some really sad song or anything like that. I know some people hate them but I find a great musical gets me emotional: Fiddler on the Roof is a great one. But a lot of musicals do something to my emotions.

Satyajit Ray’s Pather Panjali had me in tears the first time I saw it. That movie is brilliant.

There’s a scene in the 9 hour documentary about the Holocaust called The Shoah. It’s where they’re interviewing a Jewish barber/survivor, while he’s cutting hair at his barber shop (in Israel), talking about cutting the hair of people he knew before they were going to be gassed - though they didn’t know it. But he doesn’t tell this story straight out. Actually, while he’s cutting hair he’s being interviewed and he refuses to talk about this aspect of his experience. But, the director, Claude Lanzmann, pushes and prods him over and over again and he gets more and more emotional. He keeps refusing to tell the story and Lanzmann keeps saying, “you must!.” It’s a crazy scene and after a long time he tells the story. Actually, we the audience have to figure it what his relationship is to the people whose hair he cut is, because he doesn’t exactly say. You get the feeling they were his own family.