PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Easy one for me... Peter Stokkebye’s English Oriental Supreme. It gets generally good reviews (so I guess it's not really "underrated") and sells pretty well, but it's not as popular as their Luxury Navy Flake, Luxury Bullseye Flake, English Luxury Flake, and Proper English. Every time I smoke it, I wonder why I don't smoke it more often.

snoopy311

Can't Leave
Dec 21, 2016
Edward G. Robinson Pipe tobacco for me. May not be underrated but it is sure a fine smoking tobacco.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
2 that others have mentioned:
Arango Balkan Supreme, one of my favorites and so forgiving to smoke.
Balkan Sasieni, fantastic price on this normally so worth a try if you haven't.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Brown Bogie has the fullest, spiciest VA flavor of anything I've smoked, and the nicotine is beautifully overwhelming. I wish I could smoke more than a small bowl, but even it kicks my *ss!

molach95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2017
I second Brown Bogie. It wasn't underrated in the UK at one time as it was smoked and chewed by countless working class people in the early-mid 20th C. Lovely smoke though. I'd also say the UK OTC flakes are still worth smoking and very underrated. Generally the flake versions of St. Bruno and Condor and so on are much better than their RR counterparts.
My vote however goes to Ogden's Walnut Flake, now Ogden's Original Flake. A really classic British VaBur. If I had to pick a second I'd say Murray's Warrior Plug

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Samuel Gawith Kendal Plug rarely gets mentioned. It is basically their Best Brown Flake but pressed into a plug. I like it because I enjoy playing with plugs.

okiebrad

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 13, 2016
Burley = Cornell & Diehl Pegasus

Virginia Perique = Savinelli Doblone d'Oro

Aromatic = Sillem's Black

Latakia blend = Cornell & Diehl Da Vinci

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
I am going to second paulie66scandina in saying that a lot of pouch blends are underrated.

John Bull and Peterson Wild Atlantic are both quite good(and actually pretty similar).
Outside of pouches, Murray's 1921 Cunningham is a really agreeable Va/Per that I almost never see mentioned. Also Comoy's Cask #1 and #11 are really smokable English blends.
I am not sure if these are necessarily underrated, but infrequently mentioned - Commonwealth and Bothy Flake are two of my favorites from Samuel Gawith.

fatbob

Lurker
Jun 30, 2016
Maybe not underrated but more under appreciated, OTC's. I often realize I'm smoking an OTC as I dig through the cellar looking for that perfect blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.