PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
I have been having great smokes with Sillem's Black! Never thought I ever would because it's a bizarre tobacco, but I'm enjoying the dickens out of it!
Also Wessex Brown Virginia Flake... after a wonderful essay by Shane Ireland at spc a couple years back, this is still an outstanding tobacco for me!
Wait!! Also Jack Lee Blends Beowulf!! FANTASTIC Tobacco! Very sad he's no longer making it.

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
GL Pease navigator - a Virginia Flake with the addition of Dark Fired Kentucky. It's my go to blend - smooth yet robust.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I have Chestnut, and I bought it right out of the shoot when it came out, BECAUSE is touted Latakia.

One reviewer we know gave it 4*.

I have Rattray's Marlin Flake too.

The same reviewer gave IT 3*.
And the same reviewer gave EMP 2* :) The question is why? And here is the answer:
I also don't rate according to my personal taste.
I knew that your rates were objective rather than being subjective. Totally support the idea.

beastinview

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2016
My guess is that there are quite a few underrated blends out there, especially given the variance of taste.
For me, Gawith & Hoggarth Dark Birsdeye is quite underrated. To my palate, it has everything I look for in a tobacco--full flavor, huge nic hit, and what's more, unlike many Gawith products, the fine shag cut makes it burn easily without fuss, even when moist. I don't place it quite as high as the GH ropes on my flavor scale, but it's close, and less fussy.

Jun 4, 2014
I can't tell you because there will be less for me to buy.
Several I would consider underrated have been listed, I'll add C&D Poplar Camp.

ocpsdan

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Michigan
Newminster Superior Navy Flake is super affordable and a good mainstay blend.
I've also found McClelland Royal Cajun to be superb.

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
McC Orient 996. While anyone I've talked to who has smoked it seems to like it, it's not a blend that gets too much attention. There's a lot of very good stuff going on in this one and the flavors all play together well.

jaydublin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 11, 2015
McClelland Dark Star and GLP Sixpence. I could survive on one or both.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Jiminks, I appreciate your approach, your reviews and your talents. The 3 reviewers I always look for on tobaccoreviews.com are:

1. Jiminks

2. Pipestud

3. D.K.

It's always interesting to see the various impressions of these prolific pipers.

Thank you!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Newbroom: I thank you. Btw, Drums and Beer, Fr_Tom, Steel Cowboy, and Dr. T do good reviews, too.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Peterson's Perfect Plug or 3Ps. I don't know if it's underrated, but it's probably under-appreciated. Being readily available in the US, while other plugs are hard to get, is probably a factor here.
McClelland Jubilee. What? You've never heard of it? Exactly the point.
This was one of the first blends I smoked. The local had it in stock and I liked the label. Subtle, but delicious when you have time to savor it.

Status
Not open for further replies.